Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Timurid Architecture (15th Century)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timurid Architecture (15th Century)
    Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 08:45
Dont you think waiting architectural wonders from nomads are a little unfair, after all they didnot even built homes.
You verify my first opinion...

Yeah, yeah.  Just I guessed, except Turkish-eurovision song..By the way, I think It does not deserve any winning.. Damned diosparas
LOL

an empire need soldier and money, dont take it so much personal
Again LOL

I hope you dont think, you are one of best architect,  artists, warrior, because you talk greek langauge.
I don't think so, but I'm proud for what we've done so far.

By the way, maybe  we should show respect you like you showed at troy?
I'll wait a Trojan to make this question to me LOL

History is a dangerous game.
History is a live factor in our lives as nations and as individuals,you can't hide your history because always you can find your mistakes in front of you. To try to justify your (i don't mean only Turks but Greeks,English etc) mistakes makes you to bear on you the "shins" of your ancestors.

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 08:57
Bulldog, great pics.

Cyrus, I ran into this...

Building Style: Timurid

Source: http://www.archnet.org/library/sites/sites.tcl?style=Timurid
Timur (or Tamerlane) a nomadic chieftain descended from Chingiz Khan established an empire encompassing the artistic and cultural centers Samarqand, Bukhara, Herat and the newly established capital Shahr-i Sabz, which had previously been known as Kish. The 1370s saw the disintegration of the Central Asian Mongol Ilkhanid Empire, which created a vacuum for the Timurid Empire to fill. Decisive campaigns led by the charismatic Timur quickly overtook Iran, Anatolia and Mesopotamia.

This dynasty's architectural legacy is rooted in its history as an expansive empire that drew on formalistic centrally planned, highly symmetrical, Persian architectural structures and typologies, while integrating reinterpreted architectural elements, mostly decorative, from Central Asia.

The madrasa-khanqah complex evolves to articulate the empire's approach to force and statecraft that looked to Islam for its unifying and propagandistic powers. Specific architectural devices, such as the elaborate system of squinch-net vaulting, were developed in Herat under the patronage of Shah Rukh's wife Gawharshad and have persisted in subsequent architectural periods of the Safavids, Mughals and Ottomans.

Architecture of the Timurid period can be divided into four periods, distinguished by each timeframe's ruler: Under Timur(1370-1405): Timur reiterated the success of his conquest and overthrow of the Ilkhanids by transferring the seat of government to Kish, where he was born, and renaming the city Shahr-i Sabz (or the Green City). By moving the capital away from Samarqand, over the Zarafshan Mountains, Timur articulated his connection to the steppe.

He began his building program with the erection of his palace Aqsaray, or the White Palace (1379-96). Today, only a shattered portal remains of what had been a glorious palatial structure with a 22-meter wide iwan flanked by bastions built of brick and embellished with the finest tile decorations. The palace is said to have displayed expansive surfaces covered with brick mosaic and smaller wall surfaces inlaid with elaborate multicolored tile panels executed in the cuerda seca technique and signed by Muhammed Yusuf from Tabriz.

Along with his palace, Timur supported the construction of a tomb over the grave of Sufi Shaykh Ahmad Yasavi.

Once Timur had established rule, articulated his steppe origin, he moved his capital back to the more convenient and established capital Samarqand. Here he began a fairly ambitious building program with the mosque Bibi Khanum. The mosque follows the Persian four-iwan plan popular since the twelfth century, but integrates a design innovation, dome chambers beyond the lateral iwans. With this modification to the Persian four-iwan plan, Timur expresses his embrace of Persian notions of rule and organization but with the addition of characteristics from throughout his empire. His empire was to be vast and all encompassing. According to the contemporary chronicler Sharaf al-Din 'Ali Yazdi masons from Iran and India were used.

Mausoleum architecture was well developed under Timur's reign. After his death in 1405, he was buried in the Gur-i Amir in Samarqand rather than in his hometown Shahr-i Sabz, as originally planned. His son Shah Rukh arranged Timur's burial.

Under Shah Rukh and his wife Gawharshad (1405-47) Timur's conquest and establishment of the Timurid Empire was consolidated by his successor Shah Rukh. Shah Rukh looked to the Central Asian heartland of Khurasan and ruled his empire from Herat. With the empire consolidated he felt confident awarding rule over Transoxiana to his son Ulughbeg who was based in Samarqand; and Western Iran to his other son Ibrahim Sultan who ruled from Shiraz.

Architecturally speaking, the empire was unified in part through the madrasa system where education was used to introduce certain orthodox ideas about religion and governance and this new curriculum was articulated through architecture. The proliferation of the madrasa-khanqah complex under Shah Rukh's reign served to relate the learned class or Ulema and the Sufi contingent. For example, Ulughbeg in Samarqand commissioning of the royal madrasa and khanqah with their facades mirrored across the Registan (town square in Samarqand).

Shah Rukh and his wife Gawharshad were experimental patrons of architecture. They looked to the development of shrines to support Shi'ite communities; for example, through the patronage and restoration of the shrine of Imam Riza at Mashhad. For this construction and many that ensued they relied on the talents of architect Qavam al-Din Shirazi.

In Herat, Gawharshad ordered the erection of a large complex, designed by Qavam al-Din Shirazi. In this complex numerous architectural innovations are found. The mausoleum is the earliest example of the use of an elaborate system of squinch-net vaulting -- to compose a unified vertical composition. Squinch-net vaulting is the most important Timurid architectural innovation. And it appears to have evolved out of experiments with transverse vaulting over rectangular spaces. The spatial impact of this technique is the creation of open interior space through the minimization of supportive walls and piers.

Upon Shah Rukh's death in 1447, his son Ulughbeg took power but reigned for only two years before being murdered by his own son.

Under Sultan Husayn Bayqara and his confidant 'Alishir Nava'i (1470-1506)

Most remarkable of Timurid patrons, Husayn b. Mansur Bayqara (1470-1506) ruled Khurasan from Herat. In this period Herat was populated by the greatest of cultural minds and artistic spirits. The poet Abd al-Rahman Jami (1414-92) and the master of miniature painting Bihzad are but two examples of this time in Herat.

Together with his confidant Alishir Nava'i, Bayqara, is documented to have patronized 52 caravanserai; 20 mosques; 19 cisterns; 14 bridges; 10 khanqahs and related buildings; 9 baths; 5 soup kitchens; 4 madrasas; and one hospital.

Under the Timurids, rivals in western Iran -- the Qaraqoyunlu or Black Sheep (1380 - 1468) and the Aqqoyunlu or White Sheep (1378 - 1508)

While the Timurids dominated Eastern Iran and Khurasan, Western Iran was the domain of the Qaraqoyunlu and the Aqqoyunlu Turkomen Confederations who controlled lands from Eastern Anatolia to Northern Iraq through the fourteenth century. Although not active builders they did contribute a few buildings in principal centers such as Tabriz and Isfahan and Hisnkayfa. Timurid influence is very apparent in their architecture; for instance, with the bulbous dome and tile-work that decorates the tomb erected for Zayn al-Mirza at Hisnkayfa. Other examples of their approach to building include the Blue Mosque at their capital Tabriz, and the more resplendent Nasriyya Complex by Aqqoyunlu Uzun Hasan (1453-78). Under these rulers the region of Yazd continued to prosper.

Site

Country

Century

Images

Abdullah al-Vahid Shrine Herat Afghanistan 15th 3
Abdullah Ansari Shrine Complex Gazargah Afghanistan 15th 68
Abdullah b. Muawiyah Shrine Herat Afghanistan 15th 4
Abdullah Khan Kala Merv Turkmenistan 15th, 16th 14
Abu'l Qasim Shrine Herat Afghanistan 15th 9
Ahmad Yasawi Mausoleum Turkestan Kazakhstan 14th 46
Ahmad Yasawi Mausoleum Restoration Turkestan Kazakhstan 14th, 20th 17
Al-Abyad Mosque Ramla Israel 13th 9
Amir Burunduq Mausoleum Samarkand Uzbekistan 14th, 15th 15
Anonymous Mausoleum I Samarkand Uzbekistan 14th 42
Aq Saray Mausoleum Samarkand Uzbekistan 15th 16
Aq Saray Palace Shakhrisabz Uzbekistan 14th 72
Ark of Bukhara Bukhara Uzbekistan 7th, 18th 11
Askhab Mausolea Merv Turkmenistan 14th, 15th 5
Balkh Citadel Balkh Afghanistan 14th, 15th 2
Bibi Khanum Mosque Samarkand Uzbekistan 14th, 15th 106
Chashma Ayub Bukhara Uzbekistan 14th 1
Chihil Sutun Mosque Ziyaratgah Afghanistan 15th 2
Citadel of Herat Herat Afghanistan 13th, 15th 33
Dar al-Siyadah Complex Shakhrisabz Uzbekistan 14th, 15th 15
Dar al-Tilavah Complex Shakhrisabz Uzbekistan 14th, 15th 1
Dar al-Tilavah Complex: Gok Gunbad Shakhrisabz Uzbekistan 15th 7
Dar al-Tilavah Complex: Gunbad-i Sayyidan Shakhrisabz Uzbekistan 15th 7
Dar al-Tilavah Complex: Gunbad-i Sayyidan Restoration Shakhrisabz Uzbekistan 15th, 20th 4
Friday Mosque of Abarquh Abarquh Iran 14th, 15th 9
Friday Mosque of Derbend Derbend Russian Federation 14th 5
Friday Mosque of Yazd Yazd Iran 14th, 15th 45
Friday Mosque of Ziyaratgah Ziyaratgah Afghanistan 15th 8
Gawhar Shad Madrasa and Mausoleum Herat Afghanistan 15th 53
Gawhar Shad Musalla Complex Herat Afghanistan 15th 33
Ghiyathiyya Madrasa Khargird Iran 15th 22
Great Mosque of Herat Herat Afghanistan 13th, 15th 69
Hazrat Ali Shrine Complex Mazar-e Sharif Afghanistan 15th 80
Imam Reza Shrine Complex Mashad Iran 14th 21
Imam Reza Shrine Complex: Bala-Sar Madrasa Mashad Iran 15th 8
Imam Reza Shrine Complex: Dar al-Huffaz Mashad Iran 15th 1
Imam Reza Shrine Complex: Gawhar Shad Mosque Mashad Iran 15th 11
Imam Reza Shrine Complex: Madrasa Do Dar Mashad Iran 15th 4
Imam Reza Shrine Complex: Parizad Madrasa Mashad Iran 15th 7
Ishrat Khana Tomb Samarkand Uzbekistan 15th 21
Jaghatain Mausoleum Gaisur Iran 14th 1
Kalyan Ensemble Bukhara Uzbekistan 12th, 16th 14
Kalyan Mosque Bukhara Uzbekistan 15th, 16th 18
Khwaja Abu Nasr Parsa Shrine Balkh Afghanistan 15th, 16th 64
Khwaja Aghacha Mausoleum Balkh Afghanistan 15th 3
Labi Hauz Ensemble Bukhara Uzbekistan 15th, 17th 7
Masjid-i Maidan Kashan Iran 15th 1
Masjid-i Shah of Mashad Mashad Iran 15th 10
Mausoleum of 1361 Samarkand Uzbekistan 14th 16
Mir Chaqmaq Mosque Yazd Iran 15th 10
Mulla Kalan Khanqah Ziyaratgah Afghanistan 15th 7
Nabi Jirjis Complex Mosul Iraq 14th 0
Octagonal Mausoleum Samarkand Uzbekistan 15th 3
Qazizadeh Rumi Mausoleum Samarkand Uzbekistan 15th 14
Qusam Ibn Abbas Mosque and Mausoleum Samarkand Uzbekistan 14th, 15th 13
Registan Square Samarkand Uzbekistan 15th, 17th 17
Registan Square Restoration Samarkand Uzbekistan 15th, 17th, 20th 28
Ruhabad Mausoleum Samarkand Uzbekistan 14th 9
Saray Mulk Khanum Madrasa and Mausoleum Samarkand Uzbekistan 14th 1
Sayf al-Din Bakharzi Shrine Bukhara Uzbekistan 14th 6
Sayyid Subhan Quli Khan Madrasa Balkh Afghanistan 17th 15
Shad-i Mulk Aqa Mausoleum Samarkand Uzbekistan 14th 50
Shah Cheragh Shrine Complex Shiraz Iran 14th 2
Shah Cheragh Shrine Complex Restoration Shiraz Iran 14th, 20th 10
Shah Nur ad-Din Ni'matullah Vali Shrine Mahan Iran 15th, 17th, 19th 54
Shah-i Zinda Complex Samarkand Uzbekistan 14th, 15th 31
Shahrisabz Conservation Shakhrisabz Uzbekistan 20th 12
Shaykh Ahmad-i Jam Shrine Complex Torbat-i Jam Iran 13th, 14th, 15th 17
Shaykh Zayn Al-Din Mausoleum Taybad Iran 15th 28
Shirin Beg Agha Mausoleum Samarkand Uzbekistan 14th 23
Tuman Aqa Complex Kuhsan Afghanistan 15th 16
Tuman Aqa Complex Samarkand Uzbekistan 15th 19
Ulugh Beg and 'Abd al-Razzaq Mausoleum Ghazni Afghanistan 15th 6
Ulugh Beg Madrasa Bukhara Uzbekistan 15th 4
Ulugh Beg Madrasa Samarkand Uzbekistan 15th 39
Ulugh Beg Observatory Samarkand Uzbekistan 15th 4
Ulugh Sultan Begum Mausoleum Samarkand Uzbekistan 15th 15

Edited by Hellios - 30-Oct-2006 at 09:03
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 09:00
You verify my first opinion..

You dont  need to be genious to understand turks built their structure after they settled. It is difficult to build a temple over horse..Or do you think we are still using horses?Maybe we should try it, than you would call it as turkic architect.

I don't think so, but I'm proud for what we've done so far.

You are like a son of a rich guy. You are poor but you are repeating I am proud because my father was rich. If you ask me, It is not reason to be proud but to be sad.

I'll wait a Trojan to make this question to me LOL

Err, we have a problem here huston. We have not any trojan survived after trojan war.

History is a live factor in our lives as nations and as individuals,you can't hide your history because always you can find your mistakes in front of you. To try to justify your (i don't mean only Turks but Greeks,English etc) mistakes makes you to bear on you the "shins" of your ancestors.

I am not justifying them, I am explaning their mistakes with necessity

By the way, You dont need to attack timurid turks, they fought against ottomans, and harmed ottomans much.  So they were your allies.

Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 09:12
You are like a son of a rich guy. You are poor but you are repeating I am proud because my father was rich. If you ask me, It is not reason to be proud but to be sad.
You should study more Greek history and I don't mean only the ancient one...

Err, we have a problem here huston. We have not any trojan survived after trojan war.
Weren't they Proto-Turks?Wink

I am not justifying them, I am explaning their mistakes with necessity
The problem is that you don't recognise your big mistakes not that you don;t justify them well...

By the way, You dont need to attack timurid turks, they fought against ottomans, and harmed ottomans much.  So they were your allies.
Where did you find my attack to Timurids(Turks?)?

Edited by Patrinos - 30-Oct-2006 at 09:12
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 09:27
You should study more Greek history and I don't mean only the ancient one...

well If It is history, Rich one is your ancestor, no matter It lived 100 or 1000 years ago.

Weren't they Proto-Turks?Wink

Most probably, I am sure Hector have a respactable mustache.LOL

The problem is that you don't recognise your big mistakes not that you don;t justify them well...

are you talking which mistake? Devsirhmes? accept it, It was a mistake.. Harac discussable, there are a lot Turks who is ready to pay harac, instead of going to army.

Where did you find my attack to Timurids(Turks?)?

They were turkic remember? not believing their arts(effected or copied , these building were done by them.) is not a way  to show respect.

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 09:50
"Timurid Architecture" means the architecture in the Timurid period or in the geographical area of Timurid empire, "Timurid" is not the name of a nation but a dynasty which ruled over Iran and Central Asia with thier ethnic diversity, of course we can't deny that these buildings have been built under strong support of Timurid rulers.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 10:04

Friday Mosque of Yazd was built in 14th century, as I mentioned somewhere in the year 1350 AD, two of the tallest buildings in the world were built, Jomeh Mosque and Pisa Tower:

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 12:52
Patrinos
So did you respect us when you built the Blue Mosque( Sultan Ahmed Jaami) effected by Hagia Sophia?

LOL

You know why it was built? the Sultan Ahmed/ Blue Mosque Square is one of the most "macho" squares you'll ever see.

Its an amazing place, you see the Blue Mosque was built opposite the Hagia Sophia to show that the Ottoman's could surpass anything the Byzantine's did. It's basically a reply to the Hagia Sophia.

When you go to the square, its like two huge, powerfull, dominating, influential, beautiful people squaring up to each other.

The whole area should be shut to any traffic and the garden's extended with fountains running all around in my opinion, let's hope they do it for 2010 culture capitol.

Patrinos
Not Mongolia but somewhere near,chinese Turkistan,Altaic mountains  or what ever but I want to see some of those monuments in the Turksh homeland wherever you think it is.

Your looking at them my friend, these pics apart from the one's in Iran are from Turkic homelands, the Yasavi complex is in an area called Turkistan. Many of the pics there are examples from Central Asia. If you want I can post more pics from the region likes Eastern Turkistan/Xinjiang province.

What is amazing about Timurid Architecture is the amount of Jade used in the buildings.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 13:24
You know why it was built? the Sultan Ahmed/ Blue Mosque Square is one of the most "macho" squares you'll ever see
I agree.Just yesterday I saw a greek turist show for Constantinopolis and I saw the beauty of the area.(Is all area called Sultan Ahmed?) I also impressed by the story for the six minares and the "conflict" with Mecca.I admit that its a beautiful monument but the huge columnes inside don't seem good. In contrast Hagia Sophia is like its hanging from the sky,do you agree? I hope one day to come to Polis and who knows buy a yale LOL.
I am good so farLOL. But i believe that Sultan Ahmed Jaami is just a copy of Hagia Sophia for the reasons that you wrote.

In the beginning I said that these Timurid monuments seemed Persian to me, and I wasn't that wrong neither I embarashed my self as you hastily said...
Neither I have the need to argue for their turkness.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 13:44
Patrinos, when you visit then you can decide, both Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque are magnificent buildings, not only are they wonderfull but their setting makes them even better.

Personally I love to sit near the fountain in the middle next to the Rose garden's and just look around to admire the beauty.

The interior of the Blue Mosque is really wonderfull aswell.

Timurid architecture is Timurid, I explained this above, you can read it if you like. There are many influences in Timurid architecture, Turkic, Persian, Indian, Chinease, however, they took all this and invented their own impressive style. The amount of Jade they used was unbelievable.

I found some great 360 degree viewpoint sites where you can look all around.

Aq Saray (White Palace)

Kok Gumbaz complex

Ahmed Yasavi Complex

Take a tour around Buhara

Take a tour around Samarkent

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 02:46
Cyrus thanks for great pictures.
AFG-PaShTuN View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AFG-PaShTuN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 22:15
Mash'Allah, the Classical Persian architecture is just magnificant!

I think the Great Mosque of Herat is the only piece of Afghan/Pashtun architecture that resembles the classical Persian.

AFG-PaShTuN View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AFG-PaShTuN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 22:17
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Friday Mosque of Yazd was built in 14th century, as I mentioned somewhere in the year 1350 AD, two of the tallest buildings in the world were built, Jomeh Mosque and Pisa Tower:

Oh my dear sweet God! This is just mama-meya+wooooooooow! Beauty beauty!
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 17:14

Aq Saray Palace (White Palace)

360 degree view

Qazi-zadeh and Tughluq Tekin tombs, QaziZadeh was a famous Ottoman scientist who worked with Ulugh Bey of the Timurids

Edited by Bulldog - 11-Nov-2006 at 17:28
Albert Pine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12