Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Michael Collins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
IrishNation1 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote IrishNation1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Michael Collins
    Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 09:19
Does anyone outthere who knows there Irish History believe that If Collins had lived through the Civil war he would have Managed to get The North Of Ireland back? He would of without a doubht been Taoiseach  of course without a Doubht i believe but Does anyone really believe that It Would have made a Differance? I know this is a Question that is mostly based on Peoples actual feelings rather than a yes or no History Question but I am hoping to get a few Oppinions. Thank you
Early this morning I signed my death warrant.
Michael Collins, to friend John O'Kane after signing Anglo-Irish Treaty in 1921
QueenCleopatra View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 10:09
Well as I said already in my PM the Big Fella certaintly knew what he was doing and would certaintly think that he'd do his level best to get back the North and probably would have too. I mean look how far he got in 1921. No-one had even attempted a treaty before that!
Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
Knight
Knight

Quote IrishNation1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 11:52
Yes and He also had Troops stationed nearthe bourder of the North before his Death. I think he was Planning an Invasion. Oh He would I am sure have done a lot had he not been Taken away from Ireland.Cry
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 12:28
I think anyone who hlds the theory he could have got the north would have to answer the question, what about the Ulstermen?
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Knight
Knight

Quote IrishNation1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 14:19

They would not have cooperated f Course. But I do believe that Collins was the man to take it back if anyone was to d oit. There would be Riots I am sure and There is no telling what would have Happened but I think It proves that he was thinking about it.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 17:07
I'd have thought there would have been more than riot, a war more likely. I wonder how Britain would have reacted to a full scale war and how much support would have been given to the Ulstermen.

Knight
Knight

Quote IrishNation1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 17:10
Well see the Ulstermen would not have had Enough Guns for an  all out war. But yes there Would be very very Strong destruction. ,aybe Britain would have supported them. No openly but they may have supplied Guns And ammunation in Secret. There is no telling what would have Happened up There. Bt I believe Collins would have beaten whatever it was. Or at least gave it his All. The Ulstermen I am guessing would form an Underground Group like the IRA. Only in there favour
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 18:59
I believe Britain supported Northern Ireland for the last thirty years to the tune of pretty much the entire GNP of the Irish Republic annually.

I wonder how Collins in post civil war Ireland and the great depression would have found the money to support the Ulster economy and pay for the occupation. Presumably the resistance put up by the Ulstermen being nearly 75% of the population at that time would have been far greater than that of the IRA.

For Britain, occupying Northern Ireland was a major country with the support of the majority of the population who also happen to own most of the wealth of the country. For Ireland, occupying Northern Ireland would have been a small empoverished country with the support of only a minority of the population who owned little of the wealth.

Edited by Paul - 31-Oct-2006 at 19:07

Knight
Knight

Quote IrishNation1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 19:25
Yes you are Right. That is why I said who knows what would have happened. All I was saying is that If anyone would be able to take it back it would be Him .Also the IRA  would not be an occupation force if the North had been taking. The Free State Army would have been. And some old IRA men would have I  am sure Helped. But you hit the Nail on the Head my friend when you spoke of the Large  Percentage of Loyalists up here. That would be the Big Probilem. And I am unsure what Collins or any other Man for that Matter would have done. But  Its worth Mentioning that there were Nationalists up there to. And I do not belive 75% of the  People were Loyalists. Though they did outnumber the Nationalists by a large amount. That Much  we can I believe be Very Sure about. The British Government however would not want to start Fighting Ireland again so soon right after a war already. Do not forget many British People themselves were disgusted by the Black and Tans behaviour. As were many other People all around the World. America  As well. The British may have given in to Ireland over that small amount of land If it kept an other War from starting whitch Would have been a bigger deal that the War of Indepandance. This war would be actual Invasion on British Soil(Even though it was part of Ireland) And the British  Army would have to fight with all its might to win. And If it had then Hands down it would have won. But As I said they may not have been Willing to do this right after a Conflict had ended. Ity certaintly would have lowered Britains reputation In the World. Fighting a Nation ten times if not more weaker than it over a Tiny Few Miles of Land that Belonged to them People anyway in actual right. Collins Knew and recognised this. So did a great Many other men. But He was the Only  who seemed to be actually Getting ready to put his thoughts into action. However Sadly Before any sort of Battle War or even Skirmish could be Used agaisnt the North. Michael Collins was Killed. Leaving behind the Nation he made. And his ever lasting Legacy. Theres no telling what would have been the outcome had he lived.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 20:11
Well I wouldn't call any of the Ulstermen loyalists in anything but popularist media name. In the 60's and early 70's they hated the British more than the republicans, and were seperatists not loyalists. It was only really the 70's when they made a my enemy's enemy pact with the British.

Also you are right about the British public's disgust at the Black and Tans. But this would quickly backfire if it was Irish Free State using similar tactics on loyalist civilians and the same British public spirit which served the Republicans so well could quickly turn to favour the now oppressed Ulstermen.

Edited by Paul - 31-Oct-2006 at 20:13

Knight
Knight

Quote IrishNation1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 12:09

Could but I do not think it would. The Tans were sent over to Ireland originaly as a Police force. The Royal Irish Constabulary Reserve force. They acted as Army Men themselves however. When the RA attacked them they did not know what to do. Becasue they were not trained to Cope with the Guerrilla warfare tactitcs the RA used. So they Just attacked Civilians instead. Thats there legacy. Thats how they made there name as the Bad People we know them as today. However the Free state Army would have been ale to Spare the troops needed to Govern Such a Area as North Ireland whith does not even Include all the North. Donegal is in the North and Is still in the Free state. (Wel is in the Republic now.)The Ulstermen whats more were not really Speratists. The wanted British Power behind them all along. They feared they would be persecuted in a  largely Catholic and Nationalist South. So they Demanded to Remain in the Union of Britain. Also the Free State Army I do not belive would have acted the Same as the Tans. I am not  trying to make all Irish Sound like they never do anything wrong. I am sure some of them wouldhave been cruel to Natives up North. But largely not as bad. Whats more many of them were IRA men in the past before the Free State was established and as such they would be very used to Fighting With Guerrilla warfare Tactics. Ambushing them or Hit and run manouvers by the enemy would not be much good as the Free staters would no exactly what to do to Counter it. But As I say there is no real proof as to what would have happened. We can only Guess.

QueenCleopatra View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 07:35
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_Tans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Collins_%28Irish_leader%29

Heres some Wiki info on the Black and Tans and The Big Fella for anyone who's unsure of them.

Personally I don't think Collins men or even Devs would have been nearly as ruthless as the B&Ts as they were out to get the British army not the civilian Irish and their tactics would have far more organised and geared twords that. B&Ts had no compuctions about burning people out of their homes and beating and torturing them. Collins own home in Cork was burned to the ground so he knew only too well how awful they were and I don't think he'd have stooped to that level. He was relcutant to fight as it was.

Edited by QueenCleopatra - 03-Nov-2006 at 07:36
Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 08:19
Armies can certainly start off with good intentions and good training to do the job. Look at the British army in Iraq, things deteriorate in as the years set in.

Also the British Army was welcomed by the Catholics in 1969 but the IRA set about successfully reversing the situation. The UDA would try to do much the same.

After several years, with bombs blowing up in Dublin weekly, friends and families of the soldiers being killed by these bombs how long before it would go like Abu Graib for the Free State Army?

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2012 at 19:51
Did the Irish have the resources to invade British-held Ulster? Pacification would take years as the Protestants had close links to Britain
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Kevinmeath View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kevinmeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2012 at 19:53
Originally posted by Nick1986

Did the Irish have the resources to invade British-held Ulster? Pacification would take years as the Protestants had close links to Britain

Simple answer is no.

Even if they do and are not slaughtered (its a myth that the British military were defeated by the IRA) and some how defeat the British military what are they going to do with the million and a half Irish protestants who do not want to be good catholics? genocide?
cymru am byth
kevg View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote kevg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2013 at 15:59
Collin's treaty forces fought and won against the anti-treaty forces after also fighting a gruelling guerilla war against Britain (which Collins admitted they came close to losing). How do you suppose they would have had the resources to fight another war against Britain? Ulster was not supported by Britain, it was PART of Britain.
The 6 counties were kept out of the treaty because the Ulstermen said they would fight if given to Eire and the British went along with that. 
never wrong but not always right
 Post Reply Post Reply