Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inuit Modern Art.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inuit Modern Art.
    Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 03:10
Hi Pinguin.

Originally posted by pinguin

Now, I find Inuit art quite similar to the Native American art of the Canadian and U.S. West Coast.  Look at the logo of the Seattle Seahawks and Seattle Totems.

It is there any link between Inuit and Seattle's cultures? The styles look quite similar.

The styles have some elements in common; for example some symbols like certain birds, animals, & marine creatures, appear in most North American native art.

The above scuptures are not Inuit but of the Amerindian tribes of the North West, the same ones that made the famous totem poles.

This issue was resolved a few years ago when the ICC defined 'Inuit' as "a general term for culturally similar indigenous peoples inhabiting the United States (Alaskan Inupiat & Yupik peoples), Greenland (the Kalaallit people),  Russia (the Yupik people of Siberia's Chukchi Peninsula), and Canada (Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Nunavik, Nunatsiavut)."

The ICC is a multi-national organization representing 150,000 circumpolar aboriginals living in the United States (Alaskan Inupiat & Yupik peoples), Greenland (the Kalaallit people),  Russia (the Yupik people of Siberia's Chukchi Peninsula), and Canada (Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Nunavik, Nunatsiavut).

If you mean the more southern North American tribes, then No (the art I posted isn't from them).  I know the tribe of each piece I posted.

Sorry for the intervention, but I am really a fanatic of the art of the Natives of Seattle, B.C. and Alaska.

NP, it's a refreshing subject from all the equatorial based threads.

By the way, the circumpolar peoples rarely made totem poles like you mentioned; due to the extreme climate they made Inuksuit using stone.  It's almost 'mystical' - the vast circumpolar world is peppered with Inuksuit since 5000 years.  They were used for various purposes: to mark a place of respect, to show directions to travelers, to warn of impending danger, to act as helpers in the hunting of caribou...

Edited by Hellios - 22-Oct-2006 at 12:34
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 08:38

Now a question. Given the superficial similarities in style, can I assume there was a cultural interchange between the Natives of the North West and the Inuits? I mean, of the "totem makers" peoples and the Artic Inuit peoples? That's getting really fascinating.

As you as notice some other posts, I am really interested in the history of Native Americans from Alaska to the Land of Fire.

Pinguin
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 12:25
Pinguin, in Canada "North-West" and "Northwest" mean 2 different things.  Let me explain it to you.

Look at the northern part of this map of Canada.  Going from east to west you have Nunavut, the Northwest Territories, Yukon Territories, and then it's Alaska.  There are Inuit in all these places.  Inuit live in lands stretching from south-east Alaska to Greenland.

NT had no representation in the House of Commons until the early 60's when the "Northwest Territories" electoral district was created.

For you (in Chile) it's only natural to call the tribes of BC/AB/SK "north-western" tribes, but they not, for us.

Later today I'll be posting some more modern art from NU, NT, and the Yukon.  You will like.

Bill.

Edited by Hellios - 22-Oct-2006 at 13:25
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 18:56
Hey, I lived in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan during six freezing winters LOL
and there were not Inuits there, but Cree natives. They were good fellows, indeed.

Yes, I will wait. I am really interested in the topics of where Indians stop and Inuits start. It seems to me there is not a clear cut division, but I could be wrong.

Pnguin
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 20:04

Hey, I lived in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan during six freezing winters and there were not Inuits there, but Cree natives.

This is what I've been saying.  Look at the map, and read what I wrote.  SK further south, below NU, NT, YK, therefore it's no surprise you only met Cree in SK.

They were good fellows, indeed. 

Did you smoke the peace pipe?

Yes, I will wait. I am really interested in the topics of where Indians stop and Inuits start. It seems to me there is not a clear cut division, but I could be wrong. Pnguin

OK, the art will be ready soon.

Edited by Hellios - 22-Oct-2006 at 20:05
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 22:53
No. I didn't smoke a peace pipe. However, I meet several Natives Americans in there and we become good friends. They told me theirs reality and the discrimination they suffer daily in Canadian society.
I told them I had Native American ancestry as well, and that in my country Natives peoples have more opportunities than in Canada, which is true.

Yes. I learn a lot about Canada talking with its Native people. People that I consider close relatives.

Pinguin

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 12:12

some poor photos of prints done by Haida artists Joe Mandur jr., Carl Sramquist and Alvin Adkins.  As was mentioned there are similarities.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 17:20
Originally posted by Hellios

There's been a boom in demand for Inuit art in my country, making it somewhat expensive, even for Canadians.  I can only afford to admire the stuff.  Art from other aboriginal peoples of Canada is less expensive, not sure why.

High end Inuit art / crafts may have been popular with wealthy Canadian celebrities seeking an "ethnic look" for their homes.   Then high end design magazines featuure their homes  / decor and this created more demand.

A dealer told me that the following tale.  A very similar chain of events happended here in the USA with Southwest Indian antiques and SW modern crafts.   Not only did the price of true antiques skyrocket, but the incredible prices led to even more looting, counterfeits, and creative usage of the term "antique".

Modern crafts by Southwest Indians also boomed and work by both master and uhmmm "beginning" craftsmen / women was commanding higher and higher prices.

Then... the Celebrities lost interest. American Southwest was out and Tibet / Buddhism was in.  Prices collapsed (except of the very rare and very high end  antique / modern true master pieces).   Psuedo Native American / New Age spirituality was then replaced by Psuedo Buddhist / New Age spirituality amongst the Hollywood crowd.

Edited by Cryptic - 25-Oct-2006 at 17:42
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12