Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHistography Forum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Amirsan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Histography Forum
    Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 21:46
I was wondering, since there are many talented history writers here, maybe we can have a forum dedicated to histiography only.  Basically it would discuss how to analyze sources, how to write articles, people who need help writing their own articles, or how to do research, good places to find sources on different topics, etc.  I would personally find it useful since I am planning on starting a history research project.

Just an idea to consider.  :)
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 22:27
I am very lucky in that, thanks to my job, I have free access to two of the best online academic literature search - ProQuest and JSTOR. So I don't have to rely on Wikipedia or other online sources (which may still be very useful) all the time.

Because of my psychology and sociology background, I am actually very intrigued by the way historians write. We (psychologists/sociologists) rarely write like that. So it took me quite a while to get used to this style of writing and deciphering it. It's more like reading a novelette than a scientific paper.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 22:59
I think it's an interesting idea that's been done by other forums. The main  question is how to achieve a good depth beyond just a "homework help" forum, which we somewhat already have in the Q & A section.

I am very lucky in that, thanks to my job, I have free access to two of the best online academic literature search - ProQuest and JSTOR. So I don't have to rely on Wikipedia or other online sources (which may still be very useful) all the time.

JSTOR is an amazing database and it's a shame it's not available to the general public. I've mainly relied on JSTOR to write my last 3 history articles for the AE mag. ProQuest is also great, especially for more modern history.

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 14-Oct-2006 at 23:03
Amirsan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 23:17
Good point Imperator Invictus.  To make this work I would propose particularly the editorial staff, and the general writing staff to participate in the forum, by posting guides, resources, and debating among them.  I'm sure others (like myself) would jump in.  It might even help foster general members to want to contribute articles to AE.  Ofcourse, at first it wont be too much, but over time as members contribute (by asking questions and answering them) we might have a nice mini-library of resources on how to do research and write history.  I think its more specific, and focused then the Q&A.  :)  

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 05:51
In another point, how is it possible to gain access to JSTOR? Do you have to buy an account, for that is how I understood it.
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 10:29
Rider, JSTOR access is mostly licensed to libraries, universities, colleges, and publishers. Some participating libraries also make JSTOR available to library members free of charge through the internet.

Individual subscriptions are also available to certain journal titles through the journal publisher.

Subscription fees can be quite hefty, as you can imagine. (I think my college pays thousands of dollars for the licence.) JSTOR is a non-profit organization. But you can imagine what they do requires a lot of work and effort. So the high fees paid by organzations are extremely reasonable and definitely well worth it. I still remember those good old days when I actually had to physically locate, dig out, and then photocopy every single article that I found useful. It was such a nightmare. Now I can do my own research in the comfort of my office or at home.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 11:04
Why don't we start a sticky thread in general history on histiography, and, if it is popular enough, then we can create its own forum?

Personally, I would be interested in this topic :)

Amirsan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 20:04
Originally posted by hugoestr

Why don't we start a sticky thread in general history on histiography, and, if it is popular enough, then we can create its own forum?

Personally, I would be interested in this topic :)

That's a good idea.  I'd second this.

Another function, I've mentioned already, which would defferentiate this forum from the Q&A would be the fact that actual writers for this site, and general history writers should write small, focused articles on history writing.  For example, chosing a simple histiography problem and process and describing how you, particularly, as a successful writer in this site and/or on your own does it.  For example... "Chosing a topic" is a good subject for an article, and it can explain how you would go about thinking of a topic to write about.  It can also detail how some writers on this site got their ideas for the topics they wrote in the magazine.

I am sure there are countless of other subjects to consider.. such as techniques, methodologies, theories, etc.  I think it would add another "scholarly" dimension to the site (in addition to the scholarship already present).       
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 07:22
Originally posted by flyingzone

Because of my psychology and sociology background, I am actually very intrigued by the way historians write. We (psychologists/sociologists) rarely write like that. So it took me quite a while to get used to this style of writing and deciphering it. It's more like reading a novelette than a scientific paper.

Agree with your point.....

history is an invention. The invention of the interpration and imagination  of the historian who wrote that
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 14:14
Like JSTOR and ProQuest, there is another database that is useful for finding article and book references: ITER.  While it does not yet offer downloadable/printable files of articles, it has an extensive list of the contents of major history and art journals listed in bibliographical format.  To gain full access requires a subscription, but there is a guest database that anyone can search.

Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 00:43
JSTOR is just simply amazing. I spend hours on it gathering articles from campus since I cant access it from home. I have about 120 articles in my comp from simply collecting for when I write up something.

Edited by Theodore Felix - 31-Oct-2006 at 00:45
 Post Reply Post Reply