Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thermopylae movie- "300"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thermopylae movie- "300"
    Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 09:26
Now that everyone discussed the historical accuracy of the Graphic Novel "300", maybe we should discuss the historical accuracy of the X-men trilogy...Clown
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 09:33
Let's take things into context and look deeper into the author's psyche - when that is examined his motivations for criminally distorting history becomes so much clearer.  He is one of these East vrs West freaks - a clash of cultures moron.

(National Public Radio NPR): Frank, whats the state of the union?

Frank Miller: Well. I dont really find myself worrying about the state of the union as I do the state of the home-front. It seems to me quite obvious that our country and the entire Western World is up against an existential foe that knows exactly what it wants and were behaving like a collapsing empire

NPR: A lot of people would say what America has done abroad has led to the doubts and even the hatred of its own citizens.

Frank Miller: Well, okay, then lets finally talk about the enemy. For some reason, nobody seems to be talking about who were up against, and the sixth century barbarism that they actually represent. These people saw peoples heads off. They enslave women, they genitally mutilate their daughters, they do not behave by any cultural norms that are sensible to us. Im speaking into a microphone that never could have been a product of their culture, and Im living in a city where three thousand of my neighbors were killed by thieves of airplanes they never could have built.

NPR: As you look at people around you, though, why do you think theyre so, as you would put it, self-absorbed, even whiny?

Frank Miller: Well, Id say its for the same reason the Athenians and Romans were. Weve got it a little good right now. Where I would fault President Bush the most, was that in the wake of 9/11, he motivated our military, but he didnt call the nation into a state of war

What an extremist, and this comic was written well before 911.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 09:34
Originally posted by malizai_

Can't wait for the fictional movie based on the comical adaptation of Mein Kampf. Stern%20Smile 

Check out Chaplin's The Great Dictator.

PanzerOberst View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote PanzerOberst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2007 at 02:58
Before watching it I knew that I would have to disregard some aspect of the film. But the thing that ticks me off is the part where they cry out "Freedom......" and all that crap, It stinks too much of Bushies propaganda. They might as well cast GWB for the role of Leonidas.....
"If the tanks succeed, then victory follows"
- Heinz W. Guderian
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2007 at 09:48
They did the same thing in the movie Alexander in which Ptolemy said that it was easier to enter Babylon than it is to leave, something related to how easy it was for US forces to enter Iraq but was difficult to leave due to increase insurgents and other violent affairs in Iraq. Sometimes these things are portrayed in movies and I think its quite stupid. Its a movie about Alexander or Leonidas not some freedom or Iraq. I dont really get what they are trying to do but sometimes it just ruins the movie...
Knight
Knight

Quote PanzerOberst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2007 at 15:46

Have to watch it (Alexander) again, don't quite recall the scene you mentioned. But overall I agree with you, it's spoils the movie when poltical agendas are blatantly inserted.

- Heinz W. Guderian
bagelofdoom View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote bagelofdoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2007 at 06:01

I saw this movie several months after reading The Song of Roland, a 12th (I believe) century epic portrayal of one of Charlemagne's battles.  It was a complete propoganda piece, meant to show the danger posed by the Muslims to Christian Europe.  In it, Roland, fighting a doomed rear-guard action against a vastly superior force (as the result of a traitor in Charlemagne's court), fights not only the spanish muslims, but also africans, and arabs.  Its an entertaining read, people get split in half lengthwise, just as 300 was an entertaining movie.  However, I find it interesting that two works, separated by 800 years could be making the same exact point (the danger of islam (in 300 the association is assumed)) with the same exact imagery (evil arabs and blacks) with a very similar story (the outnumbered but noble defenders who are only weak numericaly as a result of treason).  Its the exact same propoganda message, and it still works to this day.  Now thats what I call an effective message.

Also: I remember reading that a comedian had said the movie was named 300 after how gay it was on a scale of one to ten.  I agree with the poster that called them on going after Athenian "boy lovers" it was a hypocritical. 

Edited by bagelofdoom - 06-Jul-2007 at 06:10
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2007 at 06:56
Originally posted by PanzerOberst

Have to watch it (Alexander) again, don't quite recall the scene you mentioned. But overall I agree with you, it's spoils the movie when poltical agendas are blatantly inserted.

Not always - 28 weeks later was a blatant critiscism of the behaviour of troops in the occupation of Iraq, and highlighted the fact that sometimes the ally/saviour is quite indistinguishable from the enemy. This angle was manifestly there but didn't stop the enjoyment..

Plus 300 never claimed to be a factual representation of the past, despite the fact that the story isn't even fact in itself, just ossified legend. Like come on, what next in films - talking toys? Dinosaurs and people? Hobbits?

I underststand that some people may see a film like this and confuse what 'happened' with what was depicted as happening..But that's their fault, not the fault of the filmmakers.The only film I can think of that went too far in terms of tampering with the facts was the J.F.K. film with Kevin Costner. That film's lies still has people convinced that Oswald didn't do it.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 08:32

The movie was really good even though the movie was really inaccurate it was the intensidy of the movie that liked about it.

Knight
Knight

Quote PanzerOberst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 14:16
Originally posted by Dolphin

Originally posted by PanzerOberst

Not always - 28 weeks later was a blatant critiscism of the behaviour of troops in the occupation of Iraq, and highlighted the fact that sometimes the ally/saviour is quite indistinguishable from the enemy. This angle was manifestly there but didn't stop the enjoyment..

Plus 300 never claimed to be a factual representation of the past, despite the fact that the story isn't even fact in itself, just ossified legend. Like come on, what next in films - talking toys? Dinosaurs and people? Hobbits?

I underststand that some people may see a film like this and confuse what 'happened' with what was depicted as happening..But that's their fault, not the fault of the filmmakers.The only film I can think of that went too far in terms of tampering with the facts was the J.F.K. film with Kevin Costner. That film's lies still has people convinced that Oswald didn't do it.

Yup, that's quite true. For the uninitiated, they may confuse fact & fiction.
- Heinz W. Guderian
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 14:56
Not always - 28 weeks later was a blatant critiscism of the behaviour of troops in the occupation of Iraq, and highlighted the fact that sometimes the ally/saviour is quite indistinguishable from the enemy. This angle was manifestly there but didn't stop the enjoyment.

That was a very astute observation, I couldn't see beyond the gore, guts and savagery in that movie!  I have no problems with such artistic messages, what I object to is the servicing of political propaganda in movies.
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2007 at 01:09
Originally posted by Dolphin

Plus 300 never claimed to be a factual representation of the past, despite the fact that the story isn't even fact in itself, just ossified legend.

Are you saying the Battle of Thermopylae was just legend?!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910