Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Columbus Day - Official Holiday?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: should the columbus day be the official holiday
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [30.00%]
6 [60.00%]
1 [10.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Columbus Day - Official Holiday?
    Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 13:58

Today 1492, Columbus reached America. And the age of European colonized of America began. At the past, white people celebrated this day. But nowaday, since the right of Native American becomes a hot potato, some think that this day shall not be an official holiday. The US consulate General in H.K does not work, so is the bond market, but the stock exchange still work. What do you think. Should that day be an official holiday

leung
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 14:47
Into General Discussions.
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 15:18
Today??? No! Was a 12 of October!

Change the question, should do we celebrate the Thanksgiving (Mayflower)? I'm sure you will have a positive answer LOL
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 17:19
Definitely celebrate
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 17:34
Why should Americans not have the right to celebrate the discovery of the Americas? Because Native Americans will be offended? It is not as if we are celebrating the fall of Montezuma or anything by just celebrating the discovery of a continent. Without the discovery by Columbus, I doubt I would be typing in this language right now, or even typing to begin with.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 17:57
Why not?
After all, an official holiday isn't nescesarily a celebration.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 20:07

Depends of what is celebrated on that day.

In Latin America Columbus is not the focus of the celebration but the "encounter" between two worlds, and the fusion of races, cultures and identities. It is called the "day of the race", and it used to be a day where Flamenco and Spanish folk was widespread. When I was a child, everyone used to play Spanish that day.

Lately the 12th of October has become a very lonely day. The direct descendents of Spanish immigrant celebrate it, while Natives protests against it. Most of the people, though, take out the car and drive out of town to enjoy the long weekend close to nature.

Pinguin,

Chilean

Barbarroja View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Barbarroja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 06:07
In Spain is also a holiday, but it's most important the religious fact because is "El Pilar". Here we celebrate "Dia de la Hispanidad", (Hispanity day) but it's the same than you.
I don't worry. I'm neutral.
I'm sorry but my English is not very good. I'm from Vila-real (Valencia, Spain)
 Post Reply Post Reply