Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Raziya Sultana

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raziya Sultana
    Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 12:20
Sultana Razia of Delhi (1236-1240)

The only woman ever to sit on the throne of Delhi, India, Razia's ancestors were from Moslems of Turkish descent who invaded India in 11th century. "Like other Moselm princesses, she was trained to lead armies and administer kingdoms if necessary." (p. 34) Contrary to custom, her father selected her, over her brothers, to be his successor. After her father's death, she was persuaded to step down from the throne in favor of her stepbrother Ruknuddin, who, like her brothers, continued to neglect the kingdom and live a pleasure filled life. Disgusted with Ruknuddin's rule, the people demanded that she become Sultana in 1236.

She established peace and order, encouraged trade, built roads, planted trees, dug wells, supported poets, painters, and musicians, constructed schools and libraries appeared in public without the veil, wore tunic and headdress of a man. State meetings were often open to the populace at-large. Yet, she made enemies when she tried to eliminate some of the discriminations against her Hindu subjects.

Jealous of her attention to one of her advisors, Jamal Uddin Yaqut (not of Turkish blood), her governor, Altunia, rebelled. Razia's troops were defeated, Jamal was killed in battle, Razia was captured and married to her conqueror in 1240. One of her brothers claimed the throne for himself, Razia and her new husband were defeated in battle where both died.

"Sultana Razia" by Lyn Reese in Herstory: Women Who Changed the World, Ruth Ashby and Deborah Gore Ohrn (eds.), Viking, 1995, p. 34-36

IPB Image

http://www.pinn.net/~sunshine/15women.html#delhi

If anybody has more information about Raziya Sultana please share it, I hear there is a film of her in India?
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 19:34
Bulldog, you could post it in the woman history forum in the part "who is she". but now it's to late.Wink

Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 22:30

1236-40 Sultan Galalat ad-Din Begum Radiya bint Shamas al-Din Iltutmish of the Delhi Sultanate (Most of Northern India)

Also known Razia Begum or Radiyya Altamish, she was The daughter of the first Mameluk king of Delhi, Sultan Ilutmish, she came to the throne after deposing her brother and having him killed. She used the title al-dunya wa al din, which can be translated into "the blessed of the earthly world and of the faith". She was a very able leader and military commander, but was deposed and executed in 1246/47. 

"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 23:55

However, you must keep in mind that India, like many other nations, was originally a series of provinces and tribes who ruled independently of each other.  A United India did not come about until the reign of Queen Victoria of Great Britain.

There are many women who governed provinces, ruled tribes, acted as governing regents, etc other than Razia of Delhi - I have an extensive list which I can provide for you.

"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 02:05
That is completely incorrect. India has been united before, under Chandergupta Maurya, under Ashoka, under the Khiljis and under the Mughals.
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 05:19
Maybe I should have been more specific and said a United India as we know it today.

I have no doubt that India was previously a united nation - as was Germany, France and other countries.  But it was also a kingdom of petty provincial rulers and tribal nations.

Question - would the Indian nation that existed prior to today have been modelled upon the same borders as we know it today?  Would the boundaries have included countries that are today seperate??

Edited by Melisende - 01-Oct-2006 at 05:24
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 09:11
Well the very word "india" was not used until British Times. The Mauryans, Greco-bactrians, Khiljis, Moghuls and the rest called  their empire something else.

But India ends at the river Indus, west of it is Central asia/Middle East. However, many of the empires extended beyond that as well, Mauryan empire include almost all of Pakistan (except a small portion in the north and south) as well as Kandahar in Afghanistan, the Moghul Empire inculded Kabul and other parts of Afgnaistan as well.

So hard to say.
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 06:42
Thanks for the clarification Sparten - I was aware of various "kingdoms" and "empires" within the bounds of what we would call "modern" India but was unsure of where the boundaries actually lay for what may be termed "medieval" India.
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 05:13
Originally posted by Melisende

Maybe I should have been more specific and said a United India as we know it today.

I have no doubt that India was previously a united nation - as was Germany, France and other countries.  But it was also a kingdom of petty provincial rulers and tribal nations.

Question - would the Indian nation that existed prior to today have been modelled upon the same borders as we know it today?  Would the boundaries have included countries that are today seperate??

The historical India included todays pakistan, parts of eastern Iran, Bangladesh, & parts of South central Asia.

The mythological India extended from Turkey to South east Asian islands, Tibet, South central Asia upto burma
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 05:16
India is a political name. The ancient Indian identity is not political but cultural. A better equivalent is Europe. More than a country, India has been known as a subcontinent, much like europe minus the expanse of russia.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 05:18
Originally posted by Melisende

However, you must keep in mind that India, like many other nations, was originally a series of provinces and tribes who ruled independently of each other.  A United India did not come about until the reign of Queen Victoria of Great Britain.

There are many women who governed provinces, ruled tribes, acted as governing regents, etc other than Razia of Delhi - I have an extensive list which I can provide for you.

You are right Melisende. Even at present India is ruled by a lady named Sonia Gandhi, an Italian national by birth, having come to India after marriage.
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 06:34
And not to forget Indira.

I feel that we must keep an open mind when viewing women in position of government - whether modern or medieval - because they were certainly there and in many countries / nations.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 07:30

Yes Indira, In fact she was more manly than all the men combined (men who ruled India post independence).

in central India Another example of Brave ladies ruling & fighting is Laxmi, the ruler of Jhansi, Who fought with the British with her infant kids tied to her back & eventually lost out to the combined onslaught of the British & the Muslim Nawabs & was killed with her infant baby in battlefield, fighting.

Edited by Vivek Sharma - 03-Oct-2006 at 07:31
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 07:33
Another famous lady ruler was Ahilya Bai Holkar, who led a great revival of nationalism in the Modern times.
giani_82 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote giani_82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 07:45
That reminds me of the Medici family in medieval Florence that supported the travelling artists, encouraged the political movements in the neighbouring countries and gave a great boost to the Renaissance in Europe
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall."
Confucius
 Post Reply Post Reply