Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Portugueses and Spanish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Portugueses and Spanish
    Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 11:26

How are the relations between Portuguese people and Spaniards?Do they have any territorial problems between them?

Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 14:30
Current political relations are highly friendly (too much in my view), as would be expected of close NATO partners.

Regarding territorial issues, there is the border conflict of Olivena, a subject that politicians on both sides do the best to ignore, but that still foments a lot of conflict between nationalistic thinkers on both sides.
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 17:19
What about cultural connections. I've read that you have as differences from Castillians as Catalunians, Gallicians and Asturians have,is that true? Can you Portoguese be understandable by a Castillian? Do your today's differences have anything to do with pre-roman ethnic distirbution?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 23:50
Cultural conexions between Spain and Portugal are quite close. Both countries are Iberian and they used to be a single country in large periods of history.

Portuguese and Spanish are two language so close related two persons can talk each other one in Portuguese and the other in Spanish without loosing so much of the meaning. If a spanish speaker wants to SPEAK portuguese requires training, but for listening or reading Portuguese no trainning is requiered.

Now, Portugal and Spain are not identical. People, traditions, sensibility and arts are similar but not exactly the same. Spanish Flamenco is rude and violent, Portuguese Fado is all sweetness. Spaniards bullfighting is a ritual killing of a bull; Portuguese one is a gymnastic show without the butchery. Spaniards love tragedy, Portugueses preffer fun.  But they also share many things in common. Both love wine and are Latin societies.

The same is true between Hispanic America and Brazil, which are related peoples but not exactly the same.

Pinguin
Barbarroja View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Barbarroja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 07:04

Currently the relationship between Spain and Portugal is very good. And this is very good for everybody. But, why is too much??

Last week I've heard a new that said that 1/3 of Portuguese would be agree with a union with Spain Clap. There are some cultural differences between Spain and Portugal but not more than in Spain between some regions. The languages are very close and i can understand many things (I speak Catalan also and it's a help),

There is another topic very similar in another board, 

Edited by Barbarroja - 04-Oct-2006 at 07:32
I'm sorry but my English is not very good. I'm from Vila-real (Valencia, Spain)
 Post Reply Post Reply