Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seljuk armies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seljuk armies
    Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 05:46

I thoght that we could have a discussion about the seljuk armies,

What did the seljuk armies consist of,  type of unit and so on , I have a picture here but it deosn't say much , maybe something for Ihsan and me to discuss about ,  , isn't that right Ihsan ,

ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 09:37

Hehe

The earliest armies of the Seljuks (correct form Seljkid in English) were consisted of Oghuz light riders, these continued to be a large and important force in the later days. After conquering some of the Islamic lands, they added Ghulm Guards (Ghulmn or Ghulm ment Slave) to their armies; most Ghulms were of Iranic stock, from Iran and Afghanistan, but I guess they incluided a few number of Turkics too. Apart from these, they also had other troops but I don't know much about them.

The armies of Anatolian Seljuks were a bit different. They had light riders and Ghulams, but their armies also incluided Greek infantries and European mercenaries (mostly Norman knights, to my knowledge).

In the pic you posted, the dismounted guy on the left is a Turkoman tribal leader and the guy on the right is a Ghulm.

At the Battle of Manzikert, Sultn Alparslan's Turkoman riders harrassed Byzantine ranks all through the day and when the Byzantines charged, the sultan launched a final melee assault with his Ghulms, supported with Turkoman riders. The Byzantine army was surrounded and it finally broke under the lances, sabres, swords and maces of the Ghulms.

[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 02:38

• Ihsan wrote:

• most Ghulms were of Iranic stock, from Iran and Afghanistan, but I guess they incluided a few number of Turkics too. Apart from these, they also had other troops but I don't know much about them.

I find it quite strange that the GHulams where of Iranic stock, we are talking about the seljuk, and not the Ghaznivids are we, could you then please explain how they where from Iranic stock, 

occordning to medievel muslim chronicls, source's the Ghulam where indeed of turkic stock,  can you please enlighten us Ihsan ,

ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 15:24
I find it quite strange that the GHulams where of Iranic stock, we are talking about the seljuk, and not the Ghaznivids are we, could you then please explain how they where from Iranic stock, 

occordning to medievel muslim chronicls, source's the Ghulam where indeed of turkic stock,  can you please enlighten us Ihsan ,

Some sources say they were Iranic, some say they were Turkic. And the Anatolian Seljkids had some Greek Ghulms.

Steppes History Forum
battleaxe View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote battleaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 12:10
Iranians were part of the Seljuk army that conquered anatolia? that's interesting. what are some of the other peoples?
Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 12:14
Really powerful troops. Remember Manzikert
kroglu View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Quote kroglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 20:41

Originally posted by Gallipoli

Really powerful troops. Remember Manzikert

Yesss we kicked the greek as...

ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2004 at 16:43

Another important unit of the Seljuk armies were the Siphis, who were soldiers given fief-like land, similar to the Byzantine Theme system.

The Ghulms and Siphis made up the Hass army. During the peak of the Seljkid Greater Sultanate, the Hass of the Great Sultans were consisted of 45,000 men. Of course, there were Hass units of local governors and members of the royal family too.

Steppes History Forum
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 03:11

Ihsan Wrote

Some sources say they were Iranic, some say they were Turkic. And the Anatolian Seljkids had some Greek Ghulms.

Can you give the sources please,  I

Do you remember our discussion at the old turkish history forum, can we continue at that discussion  

If a rember right you said that the Ghulam was formed from the Byzantine Karaphtaki/I dont remeber the correct name.  

You said that the arabs formed a heavy cavalry from the Byzantine Karaphataki,  whihc arabs did form the ghulam from the karaphatki heavy cavalry , The umayyids or the abbasid,   ??+,  After you have answered I will give a goodreply , al right Ihsan ,, and this time , I want delay , heheheh  ,

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 03:13
I want to start another interesting topic butI think we will talk about it on this topic if you and I reply , 
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 14:11
Originally posted by BK_BK

I thoght that we could have a discussion about the seljuk armies,

What did the seljuk armies consist of,  type of unit and so on , I have a picture here but it deosn't say much , maybe something for Ihsan and me to discuss about ,  , isn't that right Ihsan ,

those tents are HUGE

guy on the right has the sexiest armor

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 00:43
Looks like a Stalinist propaganda pic, if only, the middle guy would be Stalin smiling and the two others were "happy" farmers!!!!!! 
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 08:01
LOL. Stalin was a Georgian, so that is not too far away...
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2004 at 14:35
Wait, did the arabs adopt their cataphract from Byzantine or the Persians?
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2004 at 13:20
Maybe both? They had close contacts with both empires.

Steppes History Forum
 Post Reply Post Reply