Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kijev

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rava View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Rava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kijev
    Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 08:44

Kiev was mentioned in one relation as Sambat. I have read that Kijev's name should be related to Kuji- root. Let us speculate that names Kiev and Sambat mean the same.  Can you find explanation in iranian languages say:

Hujjat and bat. Maybe sam,- is slavic siem,= clan, family, tribe.

Similar construction we can recognize in the name Grumbates (the king of the Chionites) where Grum seems to be slavic Grom (lighting, thunderbolt) than bat should be identical with slavonic suffics slav = glory. Therefore Grumbates would be identical with polish name Gromoslav. Going this way one could conclude that Avars name Batbayan in. iranic would be identical with later Czech and Polish royal name Boleslav.

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 12:04

Can Kiev be related to Kuiavianie tribe that you mentioned here?

Shambat (from hebrew Sabbath) means "Saturday" in Persian!

Rava View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Rava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 15:48
To some extent, yes. Kiev (in polish we name it Kijw, sounds like kiioof) was the homeland of Polanie (Polans). Later they moved west and dwelled in so called Great Poland. However sources don't say the exact area of their settlement. Perhaps Kuiavians are the same people called Polanie. In russian Polanie could be translated as Steppe People.
Skolotai View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Skolotai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 06:54
Originally posted by Rava

Kiev was mentioned in one relation as Sambat. I have read that Kijev's name should be related to Kuji- root. Let us speculate that names Kiev and Sambat mean the same.  Can you find explanation in iranian languages say:

Hujjat and bat. Maybe sam,- is slavic siem,= clan, family, tribe.

Similar construction we can recognize in the name Grumbates (the king of the Chionites) where Grum seems to be slavic Grom (lighting, thunderbolt) than bat should be identical with slavonic suffics slav = glory. Therefore Grumbates would be identical with polish name Gromoslav. Going this way one could conclude that Avars name Batbayan in. iranic would be identical with later Czech and Polish royal name Boleslav.

Ye are all wrong,dudes.LOLLOLLOL
Kiev is related to name of an ancient slav warchief called Kiy.Big smileBig smileBig smile
Outstanding!!!
Herschel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 11:38
And the Slavis homelands were slightly West of Kiev, too. 
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 13:33
kiev (the capital of ukraine? or a city out there?) whas estabilished by the khazars, i've readed somewhere the explanation of the name "kiev" it has something todo with home.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 18:43
Day I, sometimes it is good to provide some material supporting your ideas Smile  I am not against this theory but Khazars came to those lands much much later then Kiev was established according to archeological data.

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 04:58
Originally posted by Anton

Day I, sometimes it is good to provide some material supporting your ideas Smile  I am not against this theory but Khazars came to those lands much much later then Kiev was established according to archeological data.

hmmm youre quite right then, it whas then estabilishing a capital over an existing capital, like chinghiz khan did it with Gktrk capital "tken" wich he later estabilished his own empires capital there.

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 18:41
Actually I thought that Khazars were bit south-east in the east part of Black See.
 Post Reply Post Reply