Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pick the best /worst cold war weapons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pick the best /worst cold war weapons
    Posted: 20-Oct-2010 at 09:55
No, it was part of the "Nike" system.  The Nike Ajax was the first missle deployed.  It went operational in 1954.  Later models included the Hercules, Range 120miles.  It was Nuke armed.  Follow ups include the Nike B,  Nike X Sparten.
The idea behind the Hercules was the Nuke warhead would insure total destruction of the enemy missle or bomber.  Never mind that it only had a range of 120 miles.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2010 at 10:12
Even though I have stated that I felt the Nike system was a sham,  I've always been facinated with it.  There were 2 Nike sites near my home growing up and my Dad took me over to see the Missles standing on their launch frames.  Years later, I found out that my late father-in-law was the man with his finger on the trigger, so to speak.  From 1958 to late 1960 he was it.  No fail-safe, no "football" no red phone.  Ft. Monroe Va. was the Command Center for the East Coast Army Air Defense Network. There were 2-3 other officers, they took turns handling the reponsibility.  As a Major [later a Col.] he was Senior Officer in charge.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2010 at 17:00
Sorry, It was called explicity the Nike-Ajax system!

Edited by opuslola - 20-Oct-2010 at 19:54
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2010 at 19:56
Best soviet weapons:

S-300 SAM

SU 27 Flanker - the only jet fighter that can make Pugachev's Cobra maneuvr. American jets do this only in the movies like Pete "Maverick" Mitchell on F-14 in the movie Top Gun - really impossible to do it. Now F22 can do it but only to 90 degree (SU27 - to 120 degree).

Lots of submarines, usually better than american.

Zaslon radar  - installed on jet fighters like Mig 31 - the west didnt have such thing.

Edited by Mosquito - 20-Oct-2010 at 19:56
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2010 at 20:08
Mosquito, you should have stopped before you mentioned these as being better than the American varieties!

"Lots of submarines, usually better than american."

Here, I would have to disagree with you! My sources, tend to say something that is 180 degrees opposite your position above! They have told me, as well as the rest of the world, the true story of Soviet sub-marine movements, where as the entire Soviet sub-marine fleet was routinely followed (silently) by American and English subs, right from their release into the N. Sea or the Atlantic or Pacific!

While nice, they were just technically (electronically) inferior!

The old words were "Run silent, run deep", and compared to American equipment they could do neither!

Of course the above is merely my POV!

Regards,
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2010 at 21:03
I mean soviet subs like Sierra class, Kilo class, Oscar class. I especially like Sierra which could have go to depth even about 1000m due to titanium made hull.
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2010 at 21:22
Originally posted by red clay

From 1958 to late 1960 he was it.  No fail-safe, no "football" no red phone.  Ft. Monroe Va. was the Command Center for the East Coast Army Air Defense Network. There were 2-3 other officers, they took turns handling the reponsibility.  As a Major [later a Col.] he was Senior Officer in charge.

He was not the only person with no foot ball, fail safe or red phone.  The book Rising Tide, Russian Submarines in the Cold War relates that the Soviet Submarines attempting to break the blockade around Cuba were armed with nuculear torpedoes.  Soviet officers informed the author that the juiced up Kremlin gave each captain independent authority to use them. In addition, they were ordered to use them to avoid capture.  

The Soviet subs were quickly detected by U.S. forces and harassed.   It was hotter than hell in the arctic designed Soviet subs and the stressed out crews had no way of knowing if the U.S. navy was going to switch from fake depth charges to real ones.  One sub was forced to surface and the captain had to make a quick decision if he was going to be captured and should he use the nukes to try to avoid it. 

Fortunatly, he decided "no".     
Originally posted by opuslola

Mosquito, you should have stopped before you mentioned these as being better than the American varieties!

"Lots of submarines, usually better than american."

Here, I would have to disagree with you! My sources, tend to say something that is 180 degrees opposite your position above!
I agree. U.S. submarines were superior to all Soviet submarines. Even the later Soviet models were not truly competitive.

The soviets do need credit for the very good Kilo class diesel submarines.  The Soviets were correct when they saw that advanced diesel submarines had a future.  Now, almost twenty years after the cold war, the Russians, French and Germans are selling doezens of advanced diesel submarines.  If crewed by experts, they are the one weapon that can give advanced countries night mares. 

After a series of embarassing incidents with Chinese Kilos and being beaten by Australian diesals in war games, the U.S. has leased a Swedish submarine and a Swedish expert crew to practice against.

Edited by Cryptic - 20-Oct-2010 at 21:51
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2010 at 21:47
and so far I know US navy didnt have any submarine class with titanium hull...
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2010 at 21:55
^ That is true, but the Alpha class submarines were small in number ( I think six were produced), were very noisy and did not have the advanced listening equipment that U.S. submarines had.  I think the alphas were the only titanium hull submarines.

I really think the best Soviet cold war design was the humble Kilo class.  They are very cost effective and updated versions are strong sellers today. 

Edited by Cryptic - 20-Oct-2010 at 21:57
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2010 at 09:13
While googling for pics of various things I stumbeled onto these 2 items.  The first is a WWII idea, but I thought it sort of fit.Big smile

Anti-tank dog
war dog During the Second World War, the Russian Army came up with an ingenious defence against German tanks. Starving dogs would have bombs strapped to them, and then sent toward the enemy vehicles. The dogs had been trained to retrieve food from under Russian tanks, and the idea was that they would dash under the German tanks, seeking food, and in doing so activate a large wooden trigger on their backs. Unfortunately, having been trained using Soviet tanks, the dogs of war much preferred running under Russian tanks. Added to that, the noise of the battlefield confused and frightened them, culminating in an entire troupe of bomb-dogs running amok in a battlefield, endangering everyone and forcing the retreat of the Russian forces. Although credited with the destruction of over 300 Nazi tanks, the dogs were retired from service shortly after.

M-388 Davy Crockett
m388Nuclear devices already rate pretty highly on the stupidity scale, in terms of general wanton destructiveness and lasting radioactive fallout. So what better idea could there be than removing all due process behind launching such a hell-spawned weapon, and instead put that decision in the hands of a lowly infantryman? The M-388 did exactly that – it was the world’s first, and thankfully only, handheld nuclear delivery system – an atomic bazooka. With a range of less than 3km, and poor accuracy even at that stones-throw distance, the Davy Crockett’s only effectiveness was one of area-denial, instantly rendering a battlezone an inhospitable, radiation-soaked hellpit. For at least 240,000 years.

Unknown.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2010 at 09:26
Originally posted by Cryptic

^ That is true, but the Alpha class submarines were small in number ( I think six were produced), were very noisy and did not have the advanced listening equipment that U.S. submarines had.  I think the alphas were the only titanium hull submarines.

I really think the best Soviet cold war design was the humble Kilo class.  They are very cost effective and updated versions are strong sellers today. 

Sierra class had titanium hull (Sierra II didnt) and was very silent. And it was titatnium hull that allowed them to dive deeper than any other submarines all over the world:

The Sierra I class (NATO reporting name) or Project 945 (Барракуда/Barrakuda) nuclear submarine was the Soviet Union's successor class to the partly successful Project 705 Lira (Alfa) class submarine. The Sierra class has a light and strong titanium pressure hull which enables the class to dive to greater depths, reduce the level of radiated noise and increase resistance to torpedo attacks.

Soviet titanium technology was far in advance of the West's requiring fewer passes to achieve weld at the disadvantage of the cost of each hull which limits numbers built despite the advantages of greater depths and underwater speed

Edited by Mosquito - 21-Oct-2010 at 09:47
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2010 at 20:21
Originally posted by Mosquito

Sierra class had titanium hull (Sierra II didnt) and was very silent. And it was titatnium hull that allowed them to dive deeper than any other submarines all over the world:

Soviet titanium technology was far in advance of the West's requiring fewer passes to achieve weld at the disadvantage of the cost of each hull which limits numbers built despite the advantages of greater depths and underwater speed 

I see your point about the Sierra class submarine.  I agree, it was one of the best weapons of the cold war.  In addition to Titanium hulls, the Sierras were equipped with large cruise / anti ship missiles.  These weapons had a larger warhead and more kinetic energy impact than the U.S. Harpoon.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2010 at 10:58
Originally posted by Cryptic

I see your point about the Sierra class submarine.  I agree, it was one of the best weapons of the cold war.  In addition to Titanium hulls, the Sierras were equipped with large cruise / anti ship missiles.  These weapons had a larger warhead and more kinetic energy impact than the U.S. Harpoon.

Thats what I was trying to say. Soviet military technology wasnt really backward compared to western. The problem the soviets had was crippled economy which didnt allowe them to produce their best things in large quantities. 
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2010 at 18:47

Thats what I was trying to say. Soviet military technology wasnt really backward compared to western. The problem the soviets had was crippled economy which didnt allowe them to produce their best things in large quantities. 

I think that is especially true in the last stages of the cold war.  The Soviets could produce a air planes were competitive (to a large degree anyways) to F-16s and F-15s.  Unfortunalty, the Soviets could not produce large numbers of MIG-29s, Sukhoi SU-27s.  Arguably, the attempt to produce large numbers of these aircraft pushed the USSR to bankruptcy.

Edited by Cryptic - 22-Oct-2010 at 23:26
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2010 at 23:11
Again, since I tried onece to post this post, I wonder why Cryptic posted these words above?

"Unfortunalty, the Soviets could not produce large numbers of MIG-29s, Sukhoi SU-27s. Arguably, the attempt to produce large numbers of these aircraft pushed the USSR to bankruptcy."

I would just like to ask our friend "Cryptic", just how could he remark that a great victory over "repressivism" ? could be anything but "Unfortunate?"

For America and the rest of the "free world", it could not be considered as anything less than "fortunate!"

To assume anything else is to make one's self a supporter of Communism and the end of Democracy!

Until Cryptic answers the above question, I would question his/her opinion on any event proposed on this site!\

Regards,
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2010 at 23:34
Originally posted by opuslola

I would just like to ask our friend "Cryptic", just how could he remark that a great victory over "repressivism" ? could be anything but "Unfortunate?"

For America and the rest of the "free world", it could not be considered as anything less than "fortunate!"

To assume anything else is to make one's self a supporter of Communism and the end of Democracy!

Yikes, I can assure you that I am not a communistEmbarrassed.  I was typing in a hurry and looking at the situation from the Soviet point of view.  It should read: " unfortunatly, from the Soviet point of view...."

At the same time, I am not afraid to give credit where credit is due.  The communist economic system was doomed to fail and the U.S. entered the cold war far ahead of the Soviets.  Despite this, Soviet scientists and engineers managed to compete with the west in the development of weapons for forty years.  That took alot of talent and ingenuity.  

Edited by Cryptic - 23-Oct-2010 at 08:17
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2010 at 00:06
Sorry I was so compelled to react as I did?

Reacted too early;

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2010 at 09:46
Another great naval design was the French lafayette Class stealth frigate.   Though put into service in the closing days of the cold war, the Lafayette was way ahead of its time and started the stealthy design revolution.  The innovative design features of the Lafayette are now almost the world standard.
BIG D View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BIG D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2010 at 12:51
well, the training/use of the weapon is VERY important...an average weapon in a good soldier's hands is deadlier than  a great weapon in a poor soldier's hands....I think  the Israelis proved this in 67'
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2010 at 13:22
Taking words from Big D, above; "well, the training/use of the weapon is VERY important...an average weapon in a good soldier's hands is deadlier than a great weapon in a poor soldier's hands....I think the Israelis proved this in 67'"

Yes sir! A very astute statement! I could place a lot of blame upon the decision of the US Army to adapt a new form of small arms fighting via the use of the so called "supression fire" mode when under attack! This method of loosing a war was taken because the AR-15's / M-16's were soon all equiped with full automatic switches, which allowed a GI to fully empty his 20 round magazine in but a second or so, at the enemy!

Sounds great, but their could probably be shown hundreds of film clips whereby, the US toops, who had been carefully trained in aimed fire, began to use this "supression" technique whilst having almost all of their bodies hidden behind their fox-hole or other cover! Therefor, their was a lot of fire, and a lot of troops literally ran out of ammo, because all of their bullets merely had "to whom it may concern" written upon them, rather than "this bullet is personally directed towards you my individual enemy!"

I have read of one estimate, based upon ammunition usage in Korea, where it was estimated that 50,000 rounds of ammo was expended for every enemy soldier wounded or killed! And this was when not many troops had fully automatic control of their weapon.

What the number might have been in Vietnam might well scare the hell out of me, but it did not scare the hell out of the Viet Cong, nor the NVA!

Regards,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123