Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sher Shah Suri

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Online Status: Offline
  Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sher Shah Suri
    Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 16:18

//Archaeological Survey of India Collections (Indian Museum Series)

This photograph was taken by Joseph Beglar for the Archaeological Survey of India.  The tomb is that of Hasan Suri, father of Sultan Sher Shah Suri, at Sasaram.  This city in Bihar served as capital for the Suri dynasty between 1530 and 1540 before the move to Delhi for the remaining five years of Suri rule. The largely grey sandstone tomb was designed by the architect Aliwal Khan and built between 1540 and 1545. It is octagonal in plan and is topped by an impressive dome surrounded by ornamental domed kiosks.  The tomb sits within a square walled enclosure in the city with a monumental gateway at the centre of each side and turrets at each corner//

http://www.collectbritain.co.uk/personalisation/object.cfm?uid=019PHO000001003U00477000

019PHO000001003U00477000

mausoleum of S.S.S

Since i lost the rest of the post i have lost the will to do it again, will post the rest later.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 20:25
Great man Sher Shah, after he captured delhi he called himself 'Sher Shah Khan', which means Lion King King LOL
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2006 at 14:09

Khan does not mean King in Pashto.

Khan is equivalent to a Lord, or Zamindar (Land owner).  It is typically given to the patriarch of the family.
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2006 at 19:04
Close enough.
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 02:47
& I thought history said the origins of the word Khan were in central asian grasslands of Mongolia ?
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 02:48
The origins of Khan are in central asia but its been used on the subcontient since at least the turkish invasions, maybe even longer.
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 04:05
Sher shah did a great thing. He retbuilt the GT Road from peshawar to calcutta. When I was working on sections of rebuilding that road, I used to think about him a lot. About how many armies would have marched on this road since then & what difficulties he might have faced.

Edited by Vivek Sharma - 01-Sep-2006 at 04:10
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
AFG-PaShTuN View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AFG-PaShTuN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 00:44
^ I've walked a portion of that road in Peshawar, at that time i was 14, and wasn't aware much of history, now that i recall those days, i just want to go back and walk it again. 
khanji View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote khanji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2012 at 03:45
Sher shah was the greatest Administrator that Asian subcontinent was able to produce.
A very good article below to highlight this background.

http://hopefulpakistan.org/blog/sher-shah-suri/

Edited by Don Quixote - 24-Sep-2012 at 12:27
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2012 at 12:29
khandji, I took the libery to make your link clickable. For the next time, to make it alive, yu have to click on the icon with the globe with a bow, just next to the smiley face, and post it inside the box.
Thank you in advance and welcome o the forum!
DQ
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2012 at 19:49

Tomb of Sher Shah Suri
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply