Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Scottish Language

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote AyKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Scottish Language
    Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 11:19
Originally posted by erkut

Actualy i would like to learn some scotishSmile For ex. How do you say: Hi, How are you? Fine in Scotish language?

A common way to greet someone here is by sayin " aaricht, hoo ye daein?  Usually replied with guid or no tae bad
Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 09:25
AyKurt, or any other person who knows Scots, is "thocht" pronounced the same as the English word "thought"?

AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote AyKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 11:10
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

AyKurt, or any other person who knows Scots, is "thocht" pronounced the same as the English word "thought"?

The "ch" in thocht is pronounced more like "ch" in loch.

Most folk in central Scotland would just use the english word thought nowadays, i think its mostly in Caithness and Orkney and Shetland islands were thocht is common today.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 08:53
Originally posted by AyKurt

Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

The "ch" in thocht is pronounced more like "ch" in loch.

Most folk in central Scotland would just use the english word thought nowadays, i think its mostly in Caithness and Orkney and Shetland islands were thocht is common today.
Okay, thanks, I was wondering about that.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12