Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New articles on Mongols from De Re Militari site

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orderic Vitalis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Orderic Vitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New articles on Mongols from De Re Militari site
    Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 21:52
I want to let the forum know that at De Re Militari (www.deremilitari.org) we have added two new articles that deal with the Mongols.  Both are republished from the Toronto Studies in Central and Inner Asia series. 

"Spurred on by the Fear of Death": Refugees and Displaced Populations during the Mongol Invasion of Hungary, by James Ross Sweeney -  from Nomadic Diplomacy, Destruction and Religion from the Pacific to the Adriatic

The Nomads' Armament: Home Made Weapons, by John Masson Smith Jr. - from Religion, Customary Law, and Nomadic Technology

We have also received permission to republish portions of two 16th century chroniclers that deal with Central Asia: Khwandamir and Mizra Haydar Dughlat.  It should be available sometime this month.

Visit our site www.medievalists.net for articles, videos and more about the Middle Ages
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 22:26
Thanks for the links Orderic Vitalis. I already started reading the Nomad armament one. The web page in general has quite a few articles on Steppe empires.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 22:44
The Nomads' Armament: Home Made Weapons, interesting article

Fast Horses and Mongol bow were most used and main weapon . Its design is reflection of limitation of resource- with many curves, re-flexed. re-curved, using indifferent quality of woods. So Mongol bow is perfect reflection of talent of Archer-makers who overcome those difficulties of lack of material and technology.

According to article Mongols did not have good armament upto other's standard"- clumsy cumbersome armory, even lack of sword....

And club was most availablel weapon. Easy to make

My conclusion is that NOMAD PEOPLE, themselves were MAIN ASSET / WEAPON of Chinggis Warfare. War is fought by PEOPLE.

Edited by Zorigo - 03-Aug-2006 at 22:57
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 06:38
I have read Sweeney's article before. I think it's a completely new viewpoint.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 09:42
Let the debates begin!

The author states that John of Plano Caprini mentions the wealthy class as having the ability to fund metal armory. Not the average soldier. Though the merit system was in place, how did the wealthy escape this hierarchy?

William of Rubruck says he met Mongols who procured their chain mail from the Alans.

Later the article recognizes the inguenity of the Mongols and that Cengiz Khan invented an iron cart.

Though C.A. empires have had metalurgy and the ability to make swords and chain mail for many centuries, why does the author say that it was seldom seen in the early years of the Mongols?

Is it possible that the numerous tribes and soldiers were not fitted with the 'best' equipment. That 'lesser' archers didn't recieve them? Is it due to a lack of goods as in a case of limited supply and excessive demand?

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 15:31
They all have to possess the following arms at least: two or three bows, or at least one good one, three large quivers full of arrows, an axe and ropes for hauling engines of war. As for the wealthy, they have swords...and...a horse with armor; their legs are covered and they have helmets and curiasses...Some of them have lances. (Plano Carpini, 1966, 33)

Approve

i need to read the rest though when i find the time.

Edited by Temujin - 04-Aug-2006 at 15:32
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 20:01
I liked the first article because it focuses on a different side of the Mongol campaign in Europe, rather than become stuck in the military "debate" that tends to get tiring on online forums. However, one thing that would be interesting is an actual quantitative analysis on the refugee. The writer makes notes of a lot of anecdotal descriptions, but numerical estimates would also be interesting.

Speaking of refugees, one thing that is interesting about the Mongol conquests is that it caused no permanent relocation of political power that was common on the steppes before the Mongol empire (e.g. the movement of the huns, hepthalites, Kitans, Avars, who were pushed out of their homeland). Perhaps the Mongols moved so fast that most tribes did not have a chance to flee, and that the Cumans, being near the border may have been one of the only tribes that fled with their political system intact, but unlike the Avars or others, they had nowhere to reestablish their kingdom.

For the second article, I had these thoughts:

1) It seems like throughout history, some nomadic groups preferred to fight with heavier armor than others. For example, the Sarmatians, Jurchen, Kirghiz, Bactrians, and Manchu seem to favor heavy cavalry somewhat more than groups like the Mongols, scythians, etc. (though I may be incorrect) The author implies a limitation in manufacturing ability for nomads (which was not fully explained in the article), so why did some groups seem to have heavier weapons than others?

2) Why did the Mongols not utilize sedentary manufacturing for their equipment? The author cites sources from Carpini and Polo, whose times were after the Mongols had captured Khwarezm and Northern China, both of which were lands known to manufacturing heavy cavalry equipment.

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 04-Aug-2006 at 20:02
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 16:09
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

1) It seems like throughout history, some nomadic groups preferred to fight with heavier armor than others. For example, the Sarmatians, Jurchen, Kirghiz, Bactrians, and Manchu seem to favor heavy cavalry somewhat more than groups like the Mongols, scythians, etc. (though I may be incorrect) The author implies a limitation in manufacturing ability for nomads (which was not fully explained in the article), so why did some groups seem to have heavier weapons than others?

i think this is just different perception & point of view. Herodotus for example said that the Sauromatae only suceeded against the Scythians because they had more powerfull bows while Richard Brzezinski in his books notes that teh Sarmatians were much less wealthy than Scyhtians and actually had far less fully armoured horsemen than commonly thought. eventually, all Steppe tribes used composite armies of Horse archers and cataphracts, the ratio and perhaps doctrine may have differed though.
subedai View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote subedai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 17:00
Concerning the second article on weapons.
With the Mongols preference for scouring the battlefiled and not leaving anything behind coupled with captured equipment from town and city arsenals, I think that there may have been more armoured warriors than possibly we give them credit for. By this I don't mean fully armoured, maybe just a mail coat or some shoulder protection.
 Post Reply Post Reply