Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Eskimos and central asian people

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
guest View Drop Down
  Quote guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eskimos and central asian people
    Posted: 05-Jul-2006 at 12:43

what is the history of eskimos?who are their ancestors, did they migrated from asia or did they migrated to asia to form nations like mongols and turks?what is their culture?

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2006 at 15:34
I ALWAYS THOUGHT THEY LOOK ALOT LIKE SIBERIANS
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2006 at 17:13

Some of you may not realize that the name Eskimo is a derogatory word in Algonquian which means "eater of raw flesh." In Canada, this name is never used anymore. We use the name Inuit, which means "the people", instead.

Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2006 at 19:48
Originally posted by flyingzone

Some of you may not realize that the name Eskimo is a derogatory word in Algonquian which means "eater of raw flesh." In Canada, thisname is never used anymore. Weuse the nameInuit, which means "the people", instead.

That always made me chuckle too. Heres a few sites to read its easier then just typing out all the common knowledge. First site also gives a general map.

http://www.ih.k12.oh.us/ps/Inuit/Maininuit.htm
http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0002155.html
http://www.workersforjesus.com/esk.htm

Edited by Gundamor - 05-Jul-2006 at 21:35
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 03:51
It's an interesting culture. They were the first (known) people from the Old World to settle in North America, even before the Vikings.
minchickie View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 05:22

They are most definately North Asian originated but I would say MUCH MUCH older than Turks or even Mongol tribes. They were unto themselves I would say. Think about it, theyve been crossing over continents for over thousands of years.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 06:14
Originally posted by edgewaters

It's an interesting culture. They were the first (known) people from the Old World to settle in North America, even before the Vikings.

Kennewick man.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 06:30
from what ive read siberain background, making their way round by the coast
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 10:47
Originally posted by machine

Kennewick man.

Thoroughly debunked.

http://www.seattleweekly.com/news/0610/mossback.php

On the other hand, the natives were the first people from Eurasia to discover North America, but, that was a very long time ago. I should say the Inuit are the first in relatively recent times (it is thought their ancestors, the Thule culture, arrived in Alaska in the 6th century).

Edited by edgewaters - 06-Jul-2006 at 10:55
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 13:16
It's interesting to think that if the modern world had never interfered with them would they ever have changed their ways. I mean their very family oriented with no government or tribal sense. They use what they had from where they lived which would in sense never have progressed in terms of technology. I dont read alot about inter fighting between them I wonder if their are family rivallries.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
minchickie View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2006 at 05:22
Originally posted by Gundamor

It's interesting to think that if the modern world had never interfered with them would they ever have changed their ways. I mean their very family oriented with no government or tribal sense. They use what they had from where they lived which would in sense never have progressed in terms of technology. I dont read alot about inter fighting between them I wonder if their are family rivallries.

Very good point!
They truly were and are a people of nature and peace and life need not be taken very "far" (advanced) for them. This is probably why whatever is left of these people, most notably American Indians,  have a very hard time adjusting to present day society, laws, and most important no freedom in the sense of what freedom meant to them.
I also know they have sadly, a very high suicide rate. The ones around today that is.

Your point is great because one could only wonder what their lives would be like today had they still been unencountered by the outside world. What would their lives be like in greater populations, etc, etc?
 I guess we will never know.
 Post Reply Post Reply