Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another Ark found? This time in Iran

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Ark found? This time in Iran
    Posted: 03-Jul-2006 at 14:22
Bonnema and the other B.A.S.E. Institute members hiked for seven hours in the mountains northwest of Tehran, climbing 13,000 feet before making the apparent discovery.

"We got up to this object, nestled in the side of a hill," said Robert Cornuke, a member of the B.A.S.E. Institute. "We found something that has my heart skipping a beat."

At first, they didn't dare to hope it was the biblical boat.

"It wasn't impressive at first," Cornuke said. "Certainly didn't think it to be Noah's Ark. But when we got close, we were amazed. It looked similar to wood."

In addition, some B.A.SE. members say, their discovery didn't look very distinctive.

"It looked like the deck of any boat today," Bonnema said.

Long Search for the Ark

The Bible places the Ark in the mountains of Ararat, a mountain range theologians believe spans hundreds of miles, which the team says is consistent with their find in Iran.

The Bible also describes the Ark's dimensions as being 300 cubits by 50 cubits -- about the size of a small aircraft carrier. The B.A.S.E. Institute's discovery is similar in size and scale.

"It is provocative to think that this could be the lost ark of Noah," Cornuke said.

Throughout history, people have been searching for the Ark to help prove God's existence.

"There's this idea, if we can prove that the Ark existed then we can prove that the story existed, and more importantly, we can prove that God existed," said Bruce Feiler, author of "Where God Was Born."

Previous scholars have searched for the Ark on Mount Ararat in Turkey.

"Czar Nicholas, actually, in 1916 sent two expeditions to photograph it on top of Mount Ararat," said Feiler.

One former U.S. president, Feiler said, looked for it in the mountains of Iran.

"There is a story that Jimmy Carter, on his way to visit the Shah of Iran in 1977, purposefully flew over it," he said.

As recently as March, researcher claimed to have satellite photos that proved the presence of Ark remains. The B.A.S.E institute hopes the physical evidence they've brought back from Iran will hold the answer to this enduring mystery.

"People will always be looking for it, always be skeptical, always be excited of the search," Cornuke said. "But I think we found something here that's very notable."

The B.A.S.E. Institute's samples are being examined at labs in Texas and Florida. B.A.S.E officials concede that there would be no way to conclusively prove that their finding is actually Noah's Ark.

So the hunt goes on. The biggest hurdle in identifying Noah's Ark comes down to "gopher wood." The Bible says the Ark was made of gopher wood but no one knows what it is.
http://news.netscape.com/viewstory/2006/07/02/noahs-ark-found/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fboston.metrolity.com%2Fnews.php%3Fitem.414.12&frame=true
Thats about it for the information on it.It amazes me how they don't give up looking for this huge boat, and then anything thats large and made of of wood is assumed to be this lost ark.
They don't have any pictures and they say it's size is similiar to that of the one described in the bible, yet they don't tell us. Anyways, should be a interesting discussion since now there is appearantly two arks in the world and nothing and prove them to be really...
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2006 at 17:45
It amazes me how everyone seems to miss the point, which is, what event caused ships to be deposited 13,000 feet on a mountain? and I say ships, plural because there are reports of more than one.  Forget Noah, the Noah myth is just that. But, if indeed this is a ship, with wood still intact, dating it would give us a clue as to what happened and more importantly, when.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
R_AK47 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote R_AK47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2006 at 00:13

This could indeed be an important find.  The relic of Noah's Ark would be a great asset for any nation that controlled it.  If this is indeed the ark, pieces of it must be recovered and brought back to the United States.  Why do you guys have a problem with people looking for the ark?

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2006 at 00:32
It amazes me how everyone seems to miss the point, which is, what event caused ships to be deposited 13,000 feet on a mountain? and I say ships, plural because there are reports of more than one.  Forget Noah, the Noah myth is just that. But, if indeed this is a ship, with wood still intact, dating it would give us a clue as to what happened and more importantly, when.
How can you be amazed at a point about a ship on a mountain when so far it seems to be just the imagination of people getting to them who desperatly want to prove their religion correct. So far there isn't anything to suggest these two finds are even a boat, the first find on Ararat is still trying to be distinguished between a rock and shadows are if it actually is the giant boat.

In this article he says the material "looked similar to wood", which sounds like a play of words. It's either wood or it's not. Then he describes it looks like a deck of any ship today. For all we know it could be a wooden or some other material platform. He doesn't describe it as a boat shape, infact doesn't describe it at all really.

If this is indeed the ark, pieces of it must be recovered and brought back to the United States.
Why should it be brought to the US? We have no claim to such artafacts, especially being apart of the New World I guess you could say.
Why do you guys have a problem with people looking for the ark?
They can waste their time all they want.

While I was typing this I did a search and found a site that has photos of this new story, it's a Christian site, anyways, maybe I just missing something, but I don't see it...http://www.arkfever.com/
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2006 at 04:25
Everytime people saw a circular cloud in the 50s they said it was a UFO come to abduct them.  Then everyone saw Elvis.  Now everyone sees the Ark.  Sometimes I swear I am the only person on Earth not doing massive amounts of LSD.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2006 at 11:02
I think the chances of a particular wooden ship lasting x-many thousands of years to be quite small.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2006 at 17:02
^ I agree, the wood would have disintgrated.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2006 at 22:17
Originally posted by Zagros

Yes, which would make the whole debate for the Christian side seem bad. However, according to them, the Theory of Evolution requires "blind faith"(not like religion, of course). With that mindset, I could believe Mr. T was the First High King of Ireland that pitied the foo' Picts so much that he invaded Scotland and the proof of this is some black hair that they found in the Scottish Highlands.LOL

docyabut View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote docyabut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2006 at 23:51
I think the ark was two barges put together and Noah was a merchant that sold animals and wine .

Deucalion's parallels with Noah and with Utnapishtim, the survivor of the Sumerian Flood that is told in the Epic of Gilgamesh, are even clearer in the wine subtext in this myth. Though Deucalion is no longer allowed to be the inventor of wine as Noah still is, his name gives away his secret: deucos + halieus "new wine sailor"[citation needed]. His wife, named "wine-red", just happens to be the sister of Ariadne who mothered with Dionysus, several wine-making progenitors of Aegean tribes.

Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2006 at 11:44
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Yes, which would make the whole debate for the Christian side seem bad. However, according to them, the Theory of Evolution requires "blind faith"(not like religion, of course). With that mindset, I could believe Mr. T was the First High King of Ireland that pitied the foo' Picts so much that he invaded Scotland and the proof of this is some black hair that they found in the Scottish Highlands.LOL

Well, I heard that Mr. T and Brian Boru were romates in college...

As far as wood disintegrating, wouldn't it depend on ambient conditions (temperature, humidity, oxygen level, etc...)? Here in California we have many examples of petrified wood which dates hundreds of thousands/millions of years.

The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 05:33
Everytime people saw a circular cloud in the 50s they said it was a UFO come to abduct them.  Then everyone saw Elvis.  Now everyone sees the Ark.

I prefer the Folklore (Vampires,Elves) myths......LOL
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
R_AK47 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote R_AK47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 17:05

Not necessarily true.  Depending on the conditions that the wood has been in over the centuries, it could be well preserved.  The upper areas of the mountains of Ararat have a climate that would tend to preserve wood rather than destroy it.  The question is how well preserved though.  Apparently, from what I have read, the ship has been encased in ice for a long time, ice that sometimes moves.  Most evidence points towards the ark being in at least two pieces at this time.  Efforts must be made to document and preserve this relic before it is destroyed.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2006 at 08:48
Not necessarily true, but probably true. How many pieces of wood do we have that are thousands of years old? Only a few. The chances of getting one particular piece of wood to survive that long is highly unlikely (but not impossible).
The second thing I find unlikely is that if people have been aware of the ark being on mount ararat or in Iran, why hasn't anyone gone to collect it before? Why isn't is a site that people constantly visit?
The story of the ark existing is mearly a myth. Even if there is a ship on top of the mountain it is not necessarily the ark.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2006 at 11:30
Anyways even if the story is true, I think the ark would have been broken up pretty quickly, to build firewood ans shelter. No trees anymore ya know.
 Post Reply Post Reply