Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Closer to Latin - Spanish or Italian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which language more closely resembles Latin
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [13.04%]
20 [86.96%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Closer to Latin - Spanish or Italian
    Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 09:57

Italian is closer to Latin than Spanish, but Romanian and Sardinian are closest to Latin:

t is often said that Portuguese and French are the most innovative of the Romance languages, each in different ways, that Sardinian and Romanian are the most isolated and conservative variants, and that the languages of Italy other than Sardinian (including Italian) occupy a middle ground.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_languages

Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 15:40
[QUOTE=Menumorut]    

Italian is closer to Latin than Spanish, but Romanian and Sardinian are closest to Latin:

t is often said that Portuguese and French are the most innovative of the Romance languages, each in different ways, that Sardinian and Romanian are the most isolated and conservative variants, and that the languages of Italy other than Sardinian (including Italian) occupy a middle ground.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_languages[/QUOTE]

Of course I agree about Sardinian -- I did not mention it in my previous post because I just considered languages that are national officials one -- too difficult to define what is a languaga and what a dialect or a patois, otherwise. In other words, I implicitely considered the pragmatistic definition for language (as someone said, a language is a diualect with an army supporting it Wink)

As to Romanian, the thing is a bit moe complicated, since, while it+s certainly conservative, it was also somewhat influenced by other East European languages, as that same wikipedia article mentions:

[QUOTE=Wikipedia]  

Romanian (together with other related minor languages, like Aromanian) in fact has a number of grammatical features which are unique within Romance, but are shared with other non-Romance languages of the Balkans, such as Albanian, Bulgarian, Greek, and Serbian. These features include, for example, the structure of the vestigial case system, the placement of articles as suffixes of the nouns (cer = "sky", cerul= "the sky"), and several more. This phenomenon, called the Balkan linguistic union, may be due to contacts between those languages in post-Roman times.

[/QUOTE]

... so I woould not consider it among the closest descendents of Latin. Smile
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 18:27

Serge, the article in Wikipedia is not singular.

Check these:

The Latin language is the bedrock of the language of Western Civilisation. The Romance Languages of Spain, France, Italy, Portugal, and Romania developed from a hybrid version of spoken Latin and native tongues. Each would also be influenced in turn by other tongues, such as Slavic, Norse and many Germanic dialects. Of these modern languages, Romanian, not Italian, remains the closest living language to the original. Without Latin, a very few of the tongues we speak today would be possible or recognizable in their current forms.
http://www.unrv.com/culture/latin-language.php

Because of its geographical location, Romanian has developed differently from the other Romance languages. Slavic and Hungarian influences on Romanian are particularly apparent. Despite this foreign influence, it is the closest to Latin, in a grammatical sense, of all the Romance languages.
http://www.transparent.com/languagepages/romanian/overview.htm

Also, you can see such internet forum discussions:

http://www.infohub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5242
http://forum.wordreference.com/archive/ind...hp?t-36989.html
http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t2129-0.htmhttp://www.infohub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5242
http://home.unilang.org/main/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6171

What you copied from Wikipedia says that proto-Romanian gived to other Balkan languages those features: the vestigial case system and the placement of articles as suffixes of the nouns are from vulgar Latin.

so I woould not consider it among the closest descendents of Latin.

have you studied Romanian language?

Edited by cattus - 19-Aug-2006 at 23:42
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 19:02

Regarding the romanian language, didnt it change somehow in the XIX century? Many slavic, hungarian and germanic words were replaced with italian and french, and new expressions were added, borrowed from those languages. So probably romanian wouldnt so near to the latin in terms of vocabulary if this "cleansing" wouldnt take place.

Having heard both sardinian (sardu) and romanian (romaneshti), speaking italian as a second language, and french fluently, I have to say that I understand both (sarde and romanian) languages, when I see them written (less when I hear them). But they look very different.

Prej heshtjes...!
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 19:45

egarding the romanian language, didnt it change somehow in the XIX century? Many slavic, hungarian and germanic words were replaced with italian and french, and new expressions were added, borrowed from those languages. So probably romanian wouldnt so near to the latin in terms of vocabulary if this "cleansing" wouldnt take place.

In XIX century it was a try of 'Latinization'of the Romanian language, due to the naive enthuziasm of discovering the Latin nature of the Romanian language.

This latinizing activity was manifested especialy by the Transylvanian intelectuals, they made some artificial modifications in Romanian language. Also, the Kirillic alphabet was replaced with the Latin one in the decades in the middle of the 19th century. However, the latinists leave not important changes in Romanian language. Their artificial creations were used in books and newspapers but later were abandoned.

Having heard both sardinian (sardu) and romanian (romaneshti), speaking italian as a second language, and french fluently, I have to say that I understand both (sarde and romanian) languages, when I see them written (less when I hear them). But they look very different.

We have to understand that by "Romanian" the today linguists understand all the Eastern Romance languages, considering variants of it the Daco-Romanian (the language spoken in Romania), Aromanian (the largest group of Romance speaking in Balkans), Megleno-Romanian (a Balkanic group resembling with Daco-Romanian) and Istro-Romanian (another group speaking a close to Daco-Romanian language, in the Istria peninsula.

Actually, between Daco-Romanian and Aromanian (named also Macedo-Romanian) there is a signifiant difference. What is sayed in Wikipedia and other refferences, that Romanian and Sardinian are the closest to original Latin, are reffered to Daco-Romanian, being less apliable to Aromanian, as mr. Brian Joseph, a reputed linguist, states:

In this way, therefore, some perspective is gained on the characterization of Daco-Romanian as a Romance language as opposed to a Balkan language.
Affinities that Daco-Romanian may show with the Balkan languages in this regard have not been such as to give all parts of its perfect and preterite system an overall Balkan character.

http://ling.ohio-state.edu/~bjoseph/publications/1999roma.pdf

Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 08:15
You may also check Neacsu's letter ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neacsu's_Letter ), the first document in Romanian language, dated in the first half of the 16th century.

Two things are to be noted:
- the language (except some weird forms - some are really because a different form of the word, some may be only a matter of writing style) is perfectly understandable today, and most of those words were in use centuries later and even today (some became regional, some have a slightly changed meaning, etc.)
- though the text was written in Cyrillic alphabet, the sheer majority of the words in the text (about 80-90%!!!) are of Latin origin
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 13:59

Dear Chilbudios, have you read my invitation?

Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 14:45

What invitation?

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 16:16

Check out your Private Messenger box.

Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 18:45
Originally posted by Menumorut

Dear Chilbudios, have you read my invitation?

A party or somethingBig smileBig smileBig smile. Is it private?Do I need an invitation too?
Prej heshtjes...!
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 23:31
I'll write you in private too. I think you very on.

Something about Thracian language.

Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 12:34
Originally posted by Menumorut

have you studied Romanian language?

Unfortunately not. However, being an Italian native speaker, and having studied Latin, when I read something (from news to a TV set handbook) in most Romance languages, I have practically no problem to understand it; with Romanian it's a bit more difficult to me.

Could it be that you make your judgement mostly considering grammar, while I give more weight on lexicon?
That would be consistent with most things posted on this thread and also with the content of some websited yourself linked here.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 13:56

Could it be that you make your judgement mostly considering grammar, while I give more weight on lexicon?
That would be consistent with most things posted on this thread and also with the content of some websited yourself linked here.

Yes, considering grammar. In vocabulary Romanian is perhaps on the last place among Romance.

Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 15:52
Good. So we agree. Smile

As a side remark, pls. notice our apparent disagreement was a consequence of a not perfectly shared definition of what we were debating about.
I notice that is a rather common occurence in real life.
Barbarroja View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Barbarroja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 07:28
And probably Catalan is closer than Spanish.
I'm sorry but my English is not very good. I'm from Vila-real (Valencia, Spain)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12