Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Amarya?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amarya?
    Posted: 24-Jun-2006 at 11:20

My anthro professor mentioned (very briefly) a South American culture by the name of the Amarya but I cannot find any information about them.

This culture seems to be very interesting. Their outlook is such that (the way he explained it) what has happened in the past is known therefore it is considered what we would recognize as the future.  Likewise the future is unknown so they treat as we would the past. And of course, their language reflects this.  

Im sorry I can't explain more but, like I said, it was only briefly mentioned. It's entirely possible he had misspelled it but does this name 'ring a bell' with any one?  
The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2006 at 09:05
Yes, a bell rang somewhere.---Big smile

Society-AYMARA

The Aymara Indians are located mainly on the Bolivian and Peruvian
altiplano, centering about Lake Titicaca. Their Peruvian distribution
gradually contracted because of the expansion of the Quechua Indians,
especially, but not exclusively, during the time of the Incan Empire.
Other peoples found within the Aymara area include isolated remnants
of the formerly widespread Uru and Chipaya Indians (cf. Tschopik 1946:
502; La Barre 1948: 33; also cf. Vellard 1959-60).

Linguistically, Greenberg classifies Aymara with Quechua as a separate
group within the Andean subfamily of the Andean-Equatorial language
family. The Aymara language may be divided into a number of local
dialects. The Uru-Chipaya are linguistically distinct from the Aymara
and belong to a separate subfamily of the Andean-Equatorial family
(Steward and Faron 1959: 22-23; Voegelin and Voegelin 1965: 77-81).

Taken from Ethno-Atlas. 

This should help with search, at least now you know where to look.
Aymara and quechua are the two major native languages spoken in Bolivia.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2006 at 09:18
I believe this may be what your professor may have been referring to-

Linguistic and gestural analysis by Nez and Sweetser also assert that the Aymara have an apparently unique, or at least very rare, understanding of time, and is also the only language found so far where speakers seem to represent the past as in front of them and the future as behind them. Their argument is situated mainly within the framework of conceptual metaphor, which recognizes in general two subtypes of the metaphor THE PASSAGE OF TIME IS MOTION: one is TIME PASSING IS MOTION OVER A LANDSCAPE (or "moving-ego"), and the other is TIME PASSING IS A MOVING OBJECT ("moving-events"). The latter metaphor does not explicitly involve the individual/speaker; events are in a queue, with prior events towards the front of the line. The individual may be facing the queue, or it may be moving from left to right in front of him/her.

The claims regarding Aymara involve the moving-ego metaphor. Most languages conceptualize the ego as moving forward into the future, with ego's back to the past. The English sentences prepare for what lies before us and we are facing a prosperous future, and possibly the Chinese word 未來 (lit. not yet come, meaning future) exemplify this metaphor. In contrast, Aymara seems to encode the past as in front of individuals, and the future in back; this is typologically a rare phenomenon.

It should be noted that many languages, including English and Chinese, have words like before/ and after/ that are (currently or archaically) polysemous between 'front/earlier' or 'back/later'. This seemingly refutes the claims regarding Aymara uniqueness. However, these words relate events to other events, i.e., are part of the moving-events metaphor. In fact, when before means in front of ego, it can only mean future. For instance, our future is laid out before us while our past is behind us. Parallel Aymara examples describe future days as qhipa uru, literally 'back days', and these are sometimes accompanied by gestures to behind the speaker.

If you use the spelling, Aymara you'll find there is much Info on Aymara. This came from Wiki. Smile

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2006 at 11:08
Thank you very much red clay. 

I do look forward (or behind me) to learn more. Tongue
The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
 Post Reply Post Reply