Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Origins of the name "Istanbul"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Origins of the name "Istanbul"
    Posted: 18-Mar-2012 at 10:54
The First Her presence beauties mother's love and spark/sparks!I still have not solved one syllable over basic  five syllables structure!But differences do not influence content of sentence!Is it spark or sparks?Will see further from words i have received in forum.
han View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote han Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2012 at 10:31
I am really puzzle when I was reading that's comment because there are so many wrong information about the istanbul and turkish people . the firstly I would like to clarify what is meaning of the istanbul. ottoman empire was leadership of the islam civilisation and after the ottoman conquer to constantinople , they called the istanbul instead of constantinople . why did they call the istanbul , what is the meaning of the istanbul . meaning of the istanbul is magnificent islam in the this city etc. and also the turkish people carried whole of the centurys civilisation to world . that 's why  most of the leadership said so many captivating say to turkish....
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2012 at 13:55
Many a culture had thought they carry civilization to the word, such thinking is nothing new or surprising, which doesn't make it objectively true.

Linguistically, the word "Islam" may really be part of the word "Istan-bul":
"... Turk. name of Constantinople, a corruption of Gk. phrase eis tan (ten) polin "into the city," which is how the local Gk. population referred to it. Picked up in Turkish 16c., though Turk. folk etymology traces the name to Islam bol "plenty of Islam." Gk. polis "city".."http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/istanbul
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2012 at 11:31
ISLaM=First Her presence wings interior!Big smile
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2012 at 19:29
Istanbul might even be Islampol or "city of Islam"
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2013 at 10:01
Istanbul=The First Her presence beauties maternal,love and spark!Final form.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2013 at 13:46
First presence is embelished by maternal lovely spark.
First presence embelishes maternal lovely spark.Final Final form...Big smile
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2014 at 08:43
...maternal lovely spark-sincerity-verity.
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2014 at 12:25
İstanbul reminds me Sevastopol

blue parts came from word "polis"  but "t" ???

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Antonis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Antonis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2014 at 12:18
Ehm, I will take the final post as a serious question and anwer. The "t" in those two words comes from two different words of the greek language. 
Istanbul= Is(to) + tan(the)[tan is the Accusative of the female article "tin"] + bul(polis,as you correctly said).
Sevastopol= Sevasti (respected) + pol(is).

Source of knowledge: Being GreekSmile and studying Greek and Latin History in University, where Byzantine History is a part of the corpus, albeit a small one.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2014 at 13:10
Welcome aboard Antonia!Your participation here,your knowledge of Greek&Latin,we salute of course!Smile
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2014 at 05:20
...maternal-organisational-civilisational lovely spark-sincerity-truth.FFF.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567