Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Great Istanbul

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Istanbul
    Posted: 29-May-2006 at 17:32
GREAT ISTANBUL EPISODE I:

LAND
Istanbul possesses a rich and varied environment. The lush forest belt to the north, the flowers and fruits, the game, migrating birds and fish have all joined in increasing the attractiveness of the region throughout history. What most clearly distinguishes Istanbul from other cities is the unique harmony between land and sea created by the topography of the Bosphorus.

CLIMATE
Istanbul lies between different climatic zones. At the present day it enjoys a temperate climate with moderately hot summers and mild winters, but one can still experience extreme cold, with ice floes covering the surface of the Bosphorus, spells of suffocating heat, torrential rain and flooding. In the past it was influenced by the slightest changes in the earths climate, the dry steppe habitat being gradually replaced, some 10.000 years ago, by the lush vegetation of the present day. In the period between the 17th century and the beginning of the 20th, the city suffered spells of weather so cold as to freeze the waters of the Golden Horn.
Istanbul is a distinctive "world city" on routes connecting continents. On the narrow strait where the city is located, the natural land bridge between Asia and Europe intersects with the sea route coming from the Mediterranean and the Agean and reaching the central and East Europe via black sea and great rivers like the Danube, the Dneper and the Don

(color codes)
red - Migration route for the earliest peopling of Europe.
light blue - Ice sheets of the Cold Period.
pale green - Coastal configuration during Cold Period.

LOWER CAVE
The Lower Cave is in the shape of a 300 meters tunnel with small galleries along the way. Except the drawing of a ship near the entrance, all deposits are dated to the Basal Paleolithic. After remaining empty for a long time, the cave was inhabited by people using pebble tools and flakes about 300.000 years ago. Excavations have revealed the levels of human habitation as well as the bones of animals, the foremost being the now extinct huge cave bear called Ursus Deningeri.

UPPER CAVE
In the Upper Cave, which consists of a large hall with a high ceiling, there are deposits from various periods and sand layers, indicating that it was once submerged underwater. It appears that Neolithic and Chalcolithic communities settled along a small lake formed inside the cave at the end of the Glacial Age. Pottery and bone tools of the Yarımburgaz culture dated to 7800-6800 years ago have survived. The Yarymburgaz layer 4 has incised complex designs that resemble wicker work, while the Yarımburgaz layer 3 is famed for wares with linear decorations. Declared a holy site during Hellenistic and Roman times, the cave was converted into a monastic complex under Byzantine rule.

FİKİRTEPE CULTURE
The characteristic features of Fikirtepe culture, as evidenced in a number of different settlements, consisted of populous villages of round huts of wattle and daub, as well as implements such as bone fish-hooks, spatulas, harpoons and the like. The Hoca e?me culture, which created a wave of migration from Anatolia to the Balkans in the period following the classical Fikirtepe phase, played a significant role in the proliferation of the first agricultural village culture in Europe.

FROM THE BRONZ AGE
In the period following that of the Fikirtepe culture, the Istanbul region remained in a cultural zone extending from the Balkans to Western Anatolia. The Chalcolithic finds unearthed in the Hippodrome in particular are characteristic of this period. The advent of the Bronze Age some 5.200 years ago led to the development of urban cultures in Anatolia and of states like that of the Hittites, while in Thrace a form of life emerged based on animal husbandry. Situated in the borderland between these two different zones, Istanbul gradually declined in importance. The impact of the Anatolian urban cultures, as evidenced by the finds yielded by the Selimpa?a mound and Ye?ilyurt Ayamama, did nothing to free the region from its essentially provincial character. In 1100 B.C., 3.100 years ago, the region was affected by a major migration originating north of the Black Sea. After this period, characterised by finds discovered at Silivri-Slkl, Safaalany and Sarayburnu, the region entered a Dark Age which persisted until the foundation of Byzantium 2.700 years ago, in the 7th century B.C.

Next Episode: New Rome !

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 17:34
Nea Roma

By the 2nd century AD, the capital Rome was unable to exert its authority in the far corners of the Roman Empire with lands extending from Spain to Mesopotamia. It therefore began to search for a new seat of administration which could establish sovereignity over eastern provinces in particular. Thessalonica, Alexandria, Ilion (Troy) and Nicomedeia (Izmit) were potential candidates... Diocletian choseto settle in Nicomedeia.

The chosen city

After Constantine I defeated Maxentius and Licinius, with whom he shared sovereign power, he came to rule Roman lands on his own (324). He lived in the Palace of Diocletian in Nicomedeia, but he chose the Greek colony of Byzantium a city on seven hills and the crossroads of trade routes from east to west and from north to south- to be the seat of administration. Byzantium, whose name later became Constantinople and subsequently Istanbul, survived as the capital city of empires until the 20th century, yt became,
the capital of the Roman Empire and the center of Pagan culture,
the capital of the East Roman Empire and the center of Christian culture,
the capital of the ottoman empire and the center of Islamic culture.

(timescale on the left, from top to bottom)
Thessalonika fell in 10th century.
Alexandria fell to the Muslems in 641.
Antiokhia fell to the Muslems in 636.
Ilion (Troy) fell in 13th century.
Byzantion fell to the Ottomans in 1453.
Nicomedeia fell in 1339.
...He completed the Hippodrome begun by Septimus Severus...

The sign

Constantine believed that his victory over Maxentius on the Bridge of Milvius was due to the influence of the sign of the labarum; which he had seen in a dream and had placed on the shields of his soldiers. He adopted the sign as the sacred emblem of the empire. Christianity, which had been clandestinely spreading for the last three centuries, found legality with the victory at Milvius and now had the chance to flourish alongside pagan belief (314).

The basilica

Constantine I demanded the construction of a place of worship for the Christian faith he had embraced. The example of the basilica (the rectangular Roman conference room with an extension on the eastern side) was adopted as the basis of its construction. From then on, churches in other large Roman cities were all built on the basilica plan. Constantine I had the churches of Holy Peace (St. Irene), St. Acios and St. Mocios built in Constantinople.

Honoring with special favor the city, which is called after his own name, he adorned it with many places of worship and martyrs shrines of great size and beauty... by which he both honored the memory of the martyrs and consecrated his city to the martyrs God.
Eusebius

Relics and the monastery system

Another important aspect of the process of Christianisation was the bringing of sacred relics to the city and the organisation of monasteries. The Great Saint Basil established the East Roman monastery system, striving after a mystical union with God and the elevation of human life in this world (379).

Christianisation

Two roots of blessing

The new port

Money

The administration

Water supply

The fortifications

For 1100 years the walls of Constantinople withstood the attacks of the Huns, Avars, Russians, Arabs, Bulgarians, Persians, and Turks

The first of the series of land walls was built by Theodosius II to protect the city and to enciose the extra area necessary to feed the increasing population (413). These walls were later restored after damage caused during an earthquake. A new series of walls and moats was added and the citys defense system strengthened.

The historical peninsula was surrounded with walls along the sea in addition to the walls on the landward side.

The forum

The sihlouette

Constantine I marked the starting point of his road network by the Million stone placed in the northeastern corner of the square known as the Augusteion. He extended the Mese (Divanyolu), the old main thoroughfare, as far as emberlita?. The Mese was 25 meters in width and lined with colonnades two stories high.

Everyday life

Between the years 425 and 450, Constantinople possessed:

palaces 5
churches 14
public baths 8
private baths 153
public squares 4
bonded warehouses 5
theatres 2
mime theatres 2
hippodrome 1
cisterns 4
districts (vici) 322
houses 4388
wharves 17
slaughterhouses 5
senate buildings 2
(Augustaeum, Capitolium)
colosseum 1
curators 13
security guards 14
voluntary firemen 560
night watchmen 65

Notitia Urbis Constantinopolitanae

The hippodrome

The cathedral

He (Justinian) erected unto God and the saints many beautifully adorned churches at Constantinople. (In particular), he built an incomparably great pile such as has never been recorded. I mean the Great Church that is so beautiful land glorious as to exceed the power of speech.
Evagrius

Justinian gave importance to public works. He is credited with 30 churches- some new, others renovations- among which are monumental churches like St. Sergius and Bacchus, Hagia Sophia, St. Irene and the Church of the Nwelve Aposties.

With the aid of God, ... to take care of the people, we have established laws of complete justice, ... We have found that little by little the provinces are becoming denuded of their inhabitants, and this great city of ours becomes, disturbed by a great multitude of all kinds of people, especially those from the rural areas, who have left their own towns and their agricultural pursuits in order to take refuge here.
Iustinianus,
Corpus Iuris Civilis

Legislation

527-62 Wars with Sassanians.
532-62 Peace Treaty with the Sassanian Khusrau I Anushirvan.
528 Ghassanid Arabs used against Lakhmid Arabs and Sassanians.
563 The Ghassanid ruler AlHariths visit to Constantinople.
558-9 The Utrigur Huns in alliance with Constantinople against the Kutrighur Huns.
558-9 The Kutriguhurs threat to Constantinople and the Balkans. Their defeat by Belisarius. The Laz and Abasgians against the Sassanians.
540 Avan and Slav attacks. The Slavs at the gates of Constantinople.
558 Diplomatic relations with the Avars.
564 Truce with the Avars.
529-30 Crushing of the Samaritan uprising. The vandalisation of the synagogues.
541 The spread of bubonic plague from Egypt.
528-34 Compilation of Roman law (Corpus luris Civilis)
529 The closing down of the Platonic Academy in Athens established by Plato, the flight of pagan scholars to the royal palace of Persia.
536 Pope Agapetus visit to Constantinople and his demise.
537 Vigilius appointment to the Papacy by Belisarius.
537 The removal of Monophysites to the monastery in Galata for surveillance.
542 Monopolisation of the silk trade by the state.
543 The struggle against the Neo-Origenists in Palestine.
543 The establishment of the monophysite church in Syria.
553 Gathering of the Fifth Ecumenical Council in Constantinople.
553-4 Smuggling of silkworm eggs from Soghdiana (the region of modern Samarkand and Bukhara), and the beginning of Byzantine silk production.
556 Pelagius appointment to the Papacy by Justinian.

Iconoclasts

Satan misguided men, so that they worshipped the creatureinstead of the creator. ... (they) gradually brought back idolatry under the appearance of Christianity.
Council of 754

Iconodules

Of old, God ... was never depicted. Now, however, when God is seen clothed in flesh, ... I make an image of the God whom I see. I do not worship matter. I worship the God of matter, who became matter for my sake...
John of Damascus

Life in the palace

Rituals

Faithful emperor

Religion

Trade

The army

The supreme commander of the Byzantine army, which was based on its Roman legacy, was the Emperor himself. In the 11th century Constantinople had the strongest army in Europe and Western Asia.

Science

Theophanes (the Byzantine commander) pursued them in boats with Greek fire, and dropped it through pipes upon the Russian ships ... Upon seeing the flames, the Russians cast themselves into the sea ... (the survivors, describing this, said that) the Greeks had in their posession "lightning from heaven" and set them on fire by pouring it forth.
Russian Primary Chronicle

Art

Latinization

Conflicts

If our priests celebrated mass on Greek altars, the Greeks afterwards purified them with propitiatory offerings and ablutions, as if they had been defiled ... Every time they celebrate the marriage of one of our men, if he has been baptised in the Roman way, they rebaptize him before to make the pact. We know other heresies of theirs ... Because of this they were judged not to be Christians... and hence could with more difficulty be restrained from pillage and plundering.
Odo of Deuil

When I enter a Latin church, I do not revere any of the (images of) saints that are there because I do not recognize any of them. At the most, I recognise Christ, but I do not revere him either, since I do not know in what terms he is inscribed. So I make the sign of the cross and I revere this sign that I have made myself, and not anything that I see there.
Sylvester Syropoulos

Plague

And so the streets, squares, houses of two and three storeys, sacred places, nunnaries, houses for nuns and monks, sacred churches, even the Great Church of God and the imperial palace, were filled with men of the enemy, all of them maddened by war and murderous in spirit, all clad in armor and bearing spears, swords and lances, archers and horsemen boasting terribly, barking like Cerberus and exhaling like Charon, as they sacked the sacred places and trampled on the divine things (and) ran riot over the holy vessels ... they tore children from their mothers and mothers from their children, and they defiled the virgins in the holy chapels...
A. Heisenberg

Contantinople was then an enormous desolate city, full of ruins and stones, of houses razed to the ground, of the few remains of the great fire...
Nikephoras Gregonas

... And the entire City (its inhabitants and wealth) was to be seen in the tents of the Turkish camp, the city deserted, lying lifeless, naked, soundless... O City, City, head of all cities! O City, City center of the four corners of the world... Where is your beauty?
Ducas

The circle of influence

Constantinople had a circle of influence with a radius extending from Madrid to Moscow, Manuel Khrysoloras was an influential leader of the Humanist movement; the Greek Theophanes influenced the Russan painter Andrey Rublev; and Domenikos Theotokopulos carried the elements of the Byzantine style to Spain. Byzantine influences can be seen in the works of the artists of the Venetian and Siennese schools of art.

The last recovery

A treaty of religious union between Constantinople and Rome against the advance of the Ottoman Turks through Asia Minor and the Balkan peninsula was signed first at Lyon in 1274, and then at Florence in 1438-39. Despite the support of the Emperor, certain nobles and high church officials, the union failed because of the opposition of the bulk of the Byzantine populace.
unity

... They condemned the doctrinal definition of the council (of Florence)... drank to the intercession of the icon of the Mother of God (the Hodegetria) They beseched her to guard and aid the city now against Mehmed as she formerly done against Chosroes Kaghan and the Arabs. We need either the aid of the Latins nor any Union. Keep the worship of the azymites far from us.
Ducas

Next Episode: The Turks Arrival 

Edited by DayI - 29-May-2006 at 17:34
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 17:37
The Turks Arrival

He first announced and notified his vizirs, his emirs and his servants that from then on Istanbul would be his throne; ... for his own residence and for the comfort of his closest and his slaves, he built palaces and kiosks ... he had a great bedesten and bazaars and market places established and spacious kervansaray for those who came and went. ... he divided water among his palace, the baths and the quarters. And in a suitable place, he built the forty fountains (Kyrke?me) by an aqueduct. And in that location, he built a great mosque in the image of the masterpiece of Hagia Sophia ... And on several sides of the mosque he had eight medreses built in a most brilliant and beautiful way. ... And on one side of it he had a hospital (dar??ifa) built for patients from among the lowest and the highest alike ... And on one side he had a great imaret (soup kitchen) built ...
Tursun Bey

Balance

Reviving the city

Port

Navy, arsenal, slaves

Trade

Hans, markets, bazaars

The Bezazistan (Covered Bazaar) slave-traders having presented a request at my Threshold of Felicity and from times of yore female slaves have been sold in the New Bezazistan and while it was decreed that male and female slaves sold according to Kassam (inheritance) register should be sold in the old Bezazistan...

The Market, which they call Bazar (Pazar) or Bezestan (Bedesten), is also a beautiful building, roofed with domes covered in lead, supported by several colonnades and pillars within, located in the western part of the City. The main trading done there is in furred robes, jackets, beautiful horse saddles, bridles, scimitars and other arms.
George Wheler

Traders and goods

Enormous quantities of cloth of all qualities and provenance are brought here; but come more specifically from southern France, from the United Provinces of Holland and from England.
Desolneux

... we do not ordinarily conduct trade with Turks, who are neither buyers or sellers, but rather the Jews, the Armenians and the Greeks ...
Report on French trade in the Levant

Everyday a market is held in some part of the city and on Friday in three places, the most important being the market held everyday, and particularly on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays called Schibazar (Eski Pazar), or market for old goods, and one can find a great many goods being sold every day for great sums of money; and there are more than two thousand such shops in the vicinity.
Domenico Hierosolimitano

Money

State power

The palace

The first courtyard: the threshold of power

Anyone can enter the first courtyard of the Palace, and it is here that the servants and slaves of Pashas and Aghas who have business at court wait for their masters.
Pitton de Tournefort

We found (in the first courtyard of the Palace) some companies of Sipahis on horseback, lined up on both sides. Although they were not all present, I was told that there were at least some five hundred of them. Under the porticos to the right of the entrance four thousand janissaries were lined up in orderly ranks in great respect and complete silence.
Pietro della Valle

All the Pashas upon whom the Grand Signor bestows governorships and in general all who leave the Seraglio to take up a post are obliged, before undertaking their duties, to present their Lord with gifts proportional to the benefits they have received.
Jean-Baptiste Tavernier

The second courtyard: the administration of power

A gate opens from the first courtyard into a larger and better protected courtyard. In this courtyard a beautiful avenue lined with trees leads to the Divan Odasy (Council Chamber). To the left is the Treasury of the Grand Signor as well as a fountain where Pashas whom the Sultan has decided should be publicly executed are beheaded.
Du Loir

The third courtyard: the privacy of power

The Seraglio I saw as farre as Strangers use, having accesse into the second Court ... the inside (the third court) I saw not, but an infinite swarme of officers and attendants I found, with a silence, and reverence, so wonderful, as shewd in what awe they stand of their soverayne.
Henry Blunt

Ceremonies and symbols

Army & the military ranks

Ottoman armies consisted of salaried kapıkulu regulars, topraklı regional irregulars, short-term levied called miri-askeris, yerli-neferats consisting of the entire Muslim population of a town called up for a local defence, and the gnllyan, a general mass of tribal irregulars.
The establishment of a regular army early in the 14th. Century saw the emergence of Byzantine and Classical Islamic elements in th eOttoman battle array.Byzantine influence was strong because of the important role played by Christian vassals,particularly in siege warfare.
By the 16th century Ottoman tactics had reached their classic form.within a formidable system of entrenchments, top arabalari gun-waggons and artillery stood the Sultan, his personal guard of solaks, and the Janissaries armed with arquebuses.On their immediate flanks were the armoured alti blk housed cavalry.Azap infantry assambled in front of the artillary and to the rear, where they and the muteferika guarded the baggage train.On their flanks stood the provincial sipahi cavalry,whose tast was to draw an enemy to the azaps.They in turn would absorb the charge, then move aside to allow the artillery and Janissaries to open fire. Finally the flanking sipahis would attack and, where possible, surround the foe.The Janissaries were, of course, also trained to attack, but they did so at a rush in large closely-packed formations which rendered their gunfire largely ineffective.

Diplomacy

The Ambassador is escorted to the Audience Chamber by the Kapy A?asy (Chief White Eunuch) assisted by several black eunuchs. On reaching the door, two vizirs receive him and walk by his side until he arrives at the place where he has to kiss the robe of the Grand Signor.
Jean-Baptiste Tavernier

The divan is merely a room resembling a chapel with arch and dome and screened by means of a grill similar to those seen in our Churches. The walls are painted with arabesque motifs. Immediately beside it is another room where officials not admitted to the divan remain.
Dominique Sestini

Science

Mr. Watson assured us they kept annals for all that takes place throughout their Empire and of the wars they wage against their neighbours, and that one could have a copy of these Chronicles in five or six large volumes for two hundred crowns; and that there are in the Seraglio Historians or Scribes payed to do this.
George Wheler

Life

Never, even during days of rebellion, does one hear from Istanbul those tumultuous and confused noises resembling the sound of the open sea, the silence being broken only by the shouts of the hucksters and food vendors.
M. Michaud et M. Poujoulat

Stages of life

Domestic interiors

Making a living

(The guild of butchers) march with great activity and pomp, with fat and extraordinary sheep from Karaman, Trkmen, Mihali and Osmancyk in Bursa, weighing each forty of fifty okkas (60-70 kg.) laid out on a palanquin, skinned with their heads and trotters, their bodies decorated with white grease and with ruby-like roses and yellow saffron, their horns decorated with silver and pure gold sheets, holding their chopping knives, weighing meat in their yellow brass scales. The sight is indeed worth seeing.
Evliy elebi

[The boza (fermented millet beverage) vendors] use millet from Tekirda? to make a sort of boza as white as milk which is like a cup of rosewater, so agreeable it is to swallow. It is very thick (and) although some have tried to filter it through handkerchiefs, never has even a droplet seeped through. ... These are white bozas with cream on top and which give life to whomever drinks some. Even ten ladles wont cause drunkenness. Nor will they give stomach aches.
Evliy elebi

Water

For the water is brought by this means through a multitude of valleys and mountains, and this aqueduct is of such convenience in Constantinople that at almost all intersectons there is a fountain where one can drink from tin vessels attached to it with iron chains.
"Le voyage de Pierre Lescapolier, Parisien"

Religion

The great mosques, the Imperial mosques, are not only buildings dedicated to worship; the generosity and piety of the founders have in a certain sense enlarged the purpose of the institutions they include. Each of the principal mosques has its own medresseh or college and library, for the Koran has said that war waged against ignorance is the greatest holy war. Most of them also have a hospital which welcomes the sick, an imaret which feeds the poverty stricken: the temple of God, according to Muslims must also be the asylum for all who suffer and the home of the poor should be part of the house of God. To this you should add that the Sultans who founded these mosques wished that their own tombs and those of their relatives should be located near these monuments. You can thus appreciate the amount of space that these mosques occupy in the capital, the number of buildings they include, the memories they bear and what sacred duties they are entrusted with.
M. Michaud and M. Poujoulat

Health and welfare services

Education

Urban development

water supply system

fountains & baths (circle)
water towers & distribution basins (square)
Kırkeşme water network (Byz.)+ 1453 1463
Halkaly su yolları (Byz.)+ 1453 1755
Taksim water network 1731 1839

Next Episode: Late Ottoman Period !
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 17:39
New balance of power

The Ottoman political tradition was based on the power of the ruler and the central authority at home and expansion and conquest abroad. These elements, shaped by a government structure stemming from an aggressive, warlike tradition, underwent a number of changes in the course of the 18th century. The Ottoman Empire, which had been unaffected by the Renaissance and now found itself confronted by a Europe of steadily increasing power, was obliged to envisage a new system ofbalances on its western frontiers. The abortive Siege of Vienna (1683) was the harbinger of a new balance of power. As the era of expansion closed, a world outlook based on conquest was replaced by an approach characterised by a policy of peaceful diplomacy. The process of modernisation, which began in the 18th century and was to proceed sporadically for the next two hundred years, may well be regarded, in spite of certain errors and doubtful results, as an endeavour on the part of the Ottomans to realise a new system of balances in the world and, at the same time, as a struggle for survival.

The change and the modernization

Diplomacy

The increasingly powerful role played by the peaceful approach and its supporters in the gvernment constituted the first sign of an interest in Europe. Diplomatic relations now began to be established. Yirmisekiz elebi Mehmet Efendis visit to France as special envoy of Sultan Ahmet III in 1721-22 may be regarded as the first step in this process. While in Paris, Mehmet Efendi visited the palaces, where he was welcomed with great pomp and circumstance, observed the training of infantry and artillery units, attended concerts specially arranged in his honour and sat to artists for his portrait. elebis visit was of more than purely diplomatic significante. It was also of great significance in the cultural sphere in strengthening the new ideas, then just appearing, on the training and equipment of the army. Throughout the 18th century, diplomatic relations were carried on by means of temporary missions. Although the official visits paid by Sait Pa?a to Paris (1742), Kozbeki Mustafa to Sweden, Ahmet Resmi Efendi to Berlin (1763), Yusuf Agah to London (1792) and by Seyyid Ali Efendi to Paris (1789) were of great importance from the point of view of diplomatic and cultural relations, the Ottoman State was slow to realise the impotance of permanent relations, and it was only in 1792 that the first permanent ambassador was appointed and not until 1835 that the idea of permanent embassies was adopted.

Embassies

The European countries had led the way in this. Permanent embassies had been established in Istanbul by Venice in 1479, Poland in 1475, Russia in 1699, Sweden in 1735, France in 1525, Austria in 1538 and England in 1583.

Press

Industry

Development of the city

Da Vincis bridge project on the Golden Horn

Architecture

Tanzimat

Germanys approach to the Ottomans

Education & Health

Communication & Transportation

Arts & Music

Some personalities of the period

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 02:34
In your first Episode you forget to mention how called the City before its renamed as Nova Roma-Constantinople and in the last century as Istanbul.

Founding City until Roman era

-BYZANTIUM, an ancient Greek city on the shores of the Bosporus, occupying the most easterly of the seven hills on which modern Constantinople stands. Have been  founded by Megarians and Argives under Byzas about 657 B.C

-Before settling, Byzas had consulted the Delphic Oracle in Greece, who advised him(Byzas) to settle "the opposite of the Land of Blind". What the oracle referred was Khalkedon which is known as "Kadikoy" today on the Asian part of Istanbul.

-Darius Hystaspes by the satrap Otanes, it was recolonized by the Spartan Pausanias, who wrested it from the Medes after the battle of Plataea (479 B.c.)a circumstance which led several ancient chroniclers to ascribe its foundation to him.

-In 441, during the Peleponesian War, Byzantium revolted once again against Athens with Sparta after three years later, They were defeated in a naval war in Hellespont (strait Dardanelles).In 403, the Athenians were defeated and the famous Peleponesian Wars ended.

--in 405 B.C. it was retaken by Lysander and placed under a Spartan harmost. It was under the Lacedaemonian power when. the Ten Thousand, exasperated by the conduct of the governor, made themselves masters of the city, and would have pillaged it had they not been dissuaded by the eloquence of Xenophon

-Alcibiades, after a severe blockade (408 B.C.), gained possession of the city through the treachery of the Athenian party;

-After alliances and fights between the Athenians and Byzantiums, Macedonians, under the leadership of Alexander the Great in 334, won the war of Granicus and gained the control of the Byzantium

-After the death of Alexander the Great, Byzantium was captured by combined forces of Bithynia(today's Izmit town), Pergamum and Rhodes. Then in 133, the last ruler gave his kingdom to Rome and Byzantium became a part of the Province of Asia more than 250 years

Edited by akritas - 30-May-2006 at 02:37
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 11:26
Thanks akritas for corrections.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 14:21

Thank you DayIBig smile

Suevari View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Spammer

Quote Suevari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 05:05
Damn, amazing thread DayI, keep it up!
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 22:23
DayI, this is the best Istanbul thread I've seen. Clap

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2007 at 03:23
dam long but good post DayI Thumbs%20Up
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2007 at 15:03
Good info and nice pics Smile, in the coming month I will be in Istanbul and celebrate Noruz there.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2007 at 16:04

Top stuff Day, appreciate the efffort.Thumbs%20Up I think i am going to be reading this thread thrice over.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 04:14
im just going to throw any great picture i have of this great city i find in my net travels.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/6411511.stm

erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 05:06
Thanks DayI great topic.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 01:18
Yes thanks Day 1 great topic learning heaps about history loving it !!!Thumbs%20UpClap

Edited by Wolf Turk - 17-May-2007 at 01:20
 Post Reply Post Reply