Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Donald Kagan - The Peloponnesian War

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master of Puppets View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Master of Puppets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donald Kagan - The Peloponnesian War
    Posted: 15-Aug-2004 at 16:25

Has anybody read this book? I once got a translation of Thoukudides (maybe a select few will remember) but never really got through it (I'm still planning to do so once).
I recently bought Donald Kagan's book on the Peloponnesian War in a local bookshop (I bought it because I wanted to "research" the subject again) and I found it highly enjoyable. It is the first in-depth book I have read about the subject, so I'm by no means an expert, but I thought it was a great piece of work. Kagan analyzes every situation and gives balanced judgements, while on the other hand managing to keep things interesting (although this is also due too the fascinating personalities involved, which is always one of the plus-things of political history for me). This book certainly was an eye-opener for me, too. It made me fully aware of the extreme complexness of politics in Ancient Hellas and how terrible this war really was.

Any other thoughts?

Wherever I turn, there is Death.
The Epic of Gilgamesh; Tablet XI, line 245
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2004 at 03:42

Never read this book. But once you read it, go back and re-read Thukidides book. You'll appreceiate it a lot more!

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Master of Puppets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2004 at 08:47
I finished Kagan's book a week ago or so. But there's so much left to read. I'll check out Thoukidides again though during one of the coming months
YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 19:48
Having finished reading Kagan's book last year, I'm interested in reading Thuycidides's (sp?) account, as well as the account of the final years of the conflict as told by Xenophon.  Kagan basically points to these two volumes as the primary sources for his material, although some of the personalities such as Pericles and Alcibiades are also portrayed in Plutarch's Parallel Lives volumes.  I also wonder if other ancient writers such as Diodorus also mentioned the conflict in their material.

"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
BattleGlory View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote BattleGlory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 16:33
It's excellent!  I'm only about half-way done with it, but I plan on getting his much more indepth, four-volume series on the Peloppenesian War afterwards!
~If you don't know history, you don't know anything.
~Time can change me, but I can't change time.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Master of Puppets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 06:19
Yeah, I read about that series, too. However, as I'm no expert on military history (and can't find such specialized literature in our local bookshop anyway, I'd have to order such a thing) I decided to buy this book. I wonder how frigging in-depth the series will be, as this book is already so very informative.
BattleGlory View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote BattleGlory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 14:08
I know.  I think they're going out of print though  Amazon has only a couple copies of 2 of them left.
~If you don't know history, you don't know anything.
~Time can change me, but I can't change time.
 Post Reply Post Reply