Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Sven the Sacrificer"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Svantoretro View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Svantoretro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Sven the Sacrificer"
    Posted: 16-May-2006 at 19:52
Hi, all...here are some challenging questions, though I've seen your conversations, and know you're up to the task...
1) When was Sven the Sacrificer alive and well?
2) Where might I find the location of ancient Ralswick on a map, the Viking port in 1000 A.D. ?
3) What were the locations of the Slavic southern Baltic trade centers, 1000 A.D.?
4) Can someone direct me to a good diagram depicting the ancient settlement of Arkona, on the Isle of Rugen, 1000 A.D.?
5) What, other than "skraeling", might be some good Scandinavian insults, used around 1000 A.D.?
C'MON...I KNOW YOU CAN ANSWER THESE!

Edited by Svantoretro - 21-May-2006 at 08:54
Eviscerated View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Eviscerated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 15:09
1. December 25, 1997.
2. 40 degrees E latitude, 34 degress S longitude.
3. Evermorrow.
4. play dungeons and dragons.
5. Sneepur.

Heart
What?
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 16:31
Originally posted by Svantoretro

Hi, all...here are some challenging questions, though I've seen your conversations, and know you're up to the task...
1) When was Sven the Sacrificer alive and well?
2) Where might I find the location of ancient Ralswick on a map, the Viking port in 1000 A.D. ?
3) What were the locations of the Slavic southern Baltic trade centers, 1000 A.D.?
4) Can someone direct me to a good diagram depicting the ancient settlement of Arkona, on the Isle of Rugen, 1000 A.D.?
5) What, other than "skraeling", might be some good Scandinavian insults, used around 1000 A.D.?
C'MON...I KNOW YOU CAN ANSWER THESE!

Well - you found your way here - did you ever hear of Google? - or Wikipedia?

Though, I'll try to give you some quick answers...

Sven the Sacrificer died in 1084

Along with Ralswick, Hedeby (near Schleswig) was the major trading city in the southern Baltic. However, it was burned down in late 10'th century

Welcome to AE....Smile

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Svantoretro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 17:35
Northman,
I much appreciate the map of Rugen...I had difficulty finding Ralswick, however.
Where does it lie in relation to Kap Arkona?
Thanks
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 20:18
On this map - find Grosser Jasmunder Bodden and go as far south in the bay you can come.. Ralswiek.

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Svantoretro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 21:56
Northman...You have helped me more than you know.  Thank you, mon freund!(no, I'm not fluent..)  I wonder though, as to why Ralswick was located so far into the bay...tactical reasons, perhaps?  Do you suppose there were fortified defences along the way to be overcome by an invading force?
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 02:17

Northman...You have helped me more than you know.  Thank you, mon freund!(no, I'm not fluent..)  I wonder though, as to why Ralswick was located so far into the bay...tactical reasons, perhaps?  Do you suppose there were fortified defences along the way to be overcome by an invading force?

You will see the same pattern with most settlements around the baltic. King Roar built his hall a similar place on Zealand (and thus founded the city Roskilde, meaning Roars Well).

The settlements usually had some fortification, ie. palisades - but the most important means of defence was the use of "bavne" which was hills where they lit fires that could be seen widely. That way a warning message of enemies could reach over great distances almost instantly.
In more peaceful times the "bavnene" (plural bavne) was also used as a mean to assemble people for whatever reason.

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Svantoretro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 08:01
Have you noticed how JRR Tolkien, as well as probably Peter Jackson, the director of the Lord of the Ring movie installments, borrowed from Viking culture and influences in writing their books/making their movies?
It was discovered that these signal fires you describe used by Vikings were also used in a key scene in the last LOTR installment, "Return of the King".  There were many other such scenarios, to my recollection...I believe I remember that several of the character's names originated from Viking culture.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Svantoretro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 08:04
These signal fires you describe were depicted in a key scene from the last of the  "Lord of the Rings" movies, "Return of the King".
I noticed many such similarities, especially as to the character's names.
It was fascinating and fun to discover these.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Svantoretro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 08:06
These signal fires you describe were depicted in a key scene from "Return of the King" (last of the Lord of the Ring installments).  There were many such similarities, including the character's names, such as "Gandalf", the white wizard.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 09:25

Have you noticed how JRR Tolkien, as well as probably Peter Jackson, the director of the Lord of the Ring movie installments, borrowed from Viking culture and influences in writing their books/making their movies?
It was discovered that these signal fires you describe used by Vikings were also used in a key scene in the last LOTR installment, "Return of the King".  There were many other such scenarios, to my recollection...I believe I remember that several of the character's names originated from Viking culture.

Indeed, almost everything in the triology of LOTR has reference - either to nordic myth or nordic history.

The name Frodo itself and the whole concept about the rings, is taken from the history of the danish king Frode Fredegod (PeaceGood).

In his time of reign, he was succeeded in making his land very peaceful. To demonstrate his power of peace, he hung golden rings in trees along the roads - well knowing noone would dare to break the peace by stealing them, thus they became Rings of Power.

A fun aftermath is...
After his death, his hirdmen (knights) had him mumified and drove him around the countryside in a open carriage for more years to show the people that Frode Fredegod still would maintain the peace.

Edited by Northman - 20-May-2006 at 09:26
 Post Reply Post Reply