Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your countrys must influential, living woman

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your countrys must influential, living woman
    Posted: 11-May-2006 at 18:08
Your country's most influential, living woman

There are billions of women living in the world today, from Condoleeza Rice to Queen Rania, from Biljana Plavsic to Yulia Tomaschenko...

Of these billions, which is the most influential in your country? Share a little information about her, her style, her position, and so on.

In my opinion, the most influential woman in Bosnia and Herzegovina right now is Semiha Borovac, the mayor of the capital city, Sarajevo.

She is a Muslim woman and has fought many battles to reach the heights she has. For example, people insisted electing a woman as mayor would be a disaster because the Arab countries Sarajevo does much business with these days would not be able to discourse with a female mayor.

She is very outspoken and very vulgar but at the same time brutally honest and unafraid to confront the public on unpopular issues - all traits of politicians generally admired in Bosnian culture. She is also an outspoken supporter of religious harmony and makes every occassion one to promote diversity.

For example, here she meets with Jewish leaders in Israel:

"Of all the mayors I have anticipated meeting for this conference, none have I anticipated with such a sense of honor as I have looked forward to meeting Semiha Borovac of Sarajevo. The Bosnian lobby in Israel is quite a visible force for peace and it is with humility and pride that I welcome Mrs. Borovac and the ideals of the city she represents to Jerusalem," Jerusalem Mayor Uri Lupolianski.

Older Bosnians have nicknamed her "the reliable cow" but she enjoys wide support among middle-aged and younder Bosnians.

Style wise she is very conservative by Bosnian standards but also very modern. She carries herself powerfully but still in a feminine manner and doesn't try to be confrontational along gender lines, but is confrontational instead on the issues. She's very clever and witty.

In addition, her two daughters are also both well-known as television and radio show hosts:

And that's the most powerful, influential woman - in my opinion - in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Edited by Mila
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 18:21
For me it is first Kara Fatma during WW1 and the independence war, she created a hole gang of woman who lost her husbands or where raped by greek soldiers. Then later Atatrk toke her to the Turkish army and gave her the title "st tegmen", she is the first women who got that title so far, or she is the first woman who took that rank in military.

Then the second most influental woman is Sabiha Gkcen, she is the first women pilot in the world and in Turkey, she served as a pilot during the independence war i think.

some pics of her flights

EDIT: sorry i didnt saw the "most influental, living woman" part, sorry again Mila.

Edited by DayI
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 22:48
And she's alive still? Wow!
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 23:09

I wouldn't call Michaelle Jean Canada's most influential woman. However,  her being the Governor General of Canada is quite significant to Canada in that she is the first person of Carribean heritage and the third woman to serve as Canada's "Governor General" (of course, whether Canada needs a "Governor General", a supposed representative of the Queen of England, is another issue ... ). Michaelle Jean's predecessor was Adrienne Clarkson, a Hongkong immigrant.

Michaelle Jean was born in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Prior to becoming Governor General, Jean was an award-winning reporter, filmaker, journalist, and broadcaster on the CBC. She has won many prizes, such as the Amnesty International journalism award.

She is fluent in French, English, Haitian Creole, Spanish, and Italian. She can also read Portuguese.

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 23:22

Well the name that comes to my mind of influential Canadian woman would be Roberta Bondar. http://collections.ic.gc.ca/science/english/bio/bondar.html

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/women/002026-402-e.html

She also spends a great deal of time working with girls and young women through the Girl guides.

Post Reply Post Reply