Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPomaks - a history of forcefull assimilation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pomaks - a history of forcefull assimilation
    Posted: 11-May-2006 at 17:12

Another vivid account of the savage treatment of the pomaks and muslims is contained within the Carnegie Report, one of the most authoritative accounts of the Balkan wars and the war crimes:

To revive a consciousness of lost nationality in the minds of their kinsmen, the Bulgarians employed force and persuasion, persuasion of a type as brutal as force.

The Moslems were ranged in groups. Each group was given some baptismal name, generally a name honored in the Bulgarian church or in Bulgarian history. An exarchist pope then passed from group to group and took aside each of his catechumens sui generis; and while sprinkling his forehead with holy water with one hand, with the other he compelled him to bite a sausage. The holy water represented baptism, the piece of sausage renunciation of the Moslem faith, since the Koran forbids the eating of pork. The conversion was completed by the issue of a certificate adorned with a picture of the baptism of Jesus, the price of which varied between one and three francs. A friend who arrived today from Thrace told me that what is happening in Macedonia is also happening there. He showed me two baptismal certificates. He added that the converted were obliged to give up their fez, and the converted women to walk in the streets with their faces uncovered.

In an official report to the Sub-Prefect of Kavadar, on March 2, 1913, a petty Servian official, Mr. Drakalovits, says:

At Pechtchevo (Maleche plateau) a special committee has been formed, with the Bulgarian Sub-Prefect, Chatoyev, as its President, and among its members John Ingilisov, the director of Bulgarian schools, and the priest, Chatoyev, the brother of the Sub-Prefect. This committee was instituted to convert all the Turks of Maleche to Christianity. By order of the committee, 400 peasants of the place were armed with muskets and sticks; they attacked Turks of the neighboring villages and forcibly led them into the church at Verovo, where they were all baptized. Finally on February 17, baptism was carried out at Beloro, where there were ten Turkish families and ten Bosnian (Servian) Mahometan families. Pechtchevo alone was spared, the reason being (so we were told) that the Sub-Prefect would not allow violence in the town. A Turk from Pechtchevo told us that every Turkish house had to pay two pounds for its protection. Four Turks who could not pay such a sum hanged themselves in despair in their houses. In the other Turkish villages conversions were not exacted, because the population was too poor, whereas the Turks at Pechtchevo were known to be rich.

Tangra View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2006 at 19:02
Gees ! never knew anything about this.

BG_turk thanks for posting this thread. I will do my own research on it also.

Edited by Tangra - 26-Jun-2006 at 19:02
HUBAVA SI MOYA GORO!
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2006 at 19:21
Originally posted by Tangra

Gees ! never knew anything about this.

I do not blame you. I myself knew very little on the subject before i did my own research. Bulgarian history books tend to never mention the plight of the Pomaks.

BG_turk thanks for posting this thread. I will do my own research on it also.

I look forward  to your analysis.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 11:22

Forcefull assimilation by the Bulgarians,forcefull conversion by the ottomans??

The worst part is some people actually believe these ridiculous stories, the Ottomans did not have a forcefull assimilation program if they did there wouldn't be a single Christian in the Balkans today, everyone would be a Muslim Turk.

The early Ottomans were "frontier" Turks, now understanding what this meant is essential.

The culture of this frontier march was as complicated as its pollitics. Its laws were those of Turkish tribal custom, the yasa. This was a transition age, still there were Shaman-Tengrism Turks who would call themselves Muslim but were more inbetween. Ottoman Dervishes always accompanied early Ottoman armies on their campaigns. Some of the mystics would even claim Islam and Christianity were the same religion, that they're both monothiest, there's no need for fighting or division and that they believed at the end of the day in one God. What you may find most suprising is that they had many, many Christian followers, Christians were staying Christian but deserting the Byzantiums to join the Ottomans.

Official Ottoman attitudes towards Christians and Jews were similarly sympathetic. Previously persecuted minorities like the Bogomils of Bosnia turned Muslim in large numbers, while elsewhere in the Balkans, Orthodox Christians often welcomned the Ottomans as liberaters from Catholic domination. The Turks demanded fewer dues that had previous rulers.

What many looking at it from today's perspective fail to realise is that these Turks bought somthing unseen before and an original form of rule to Anatolia, never before had the ordinary people had so many rights, privaledges and freedoms. The Turks were inclusive and even attracted non-Muslims among the ranks, names like Kose Mikhal or Gazi Evrenos instantly spring to mind.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 12:10

Some people talk about racism or nationalism and they don't know what these terms mean...

Why a pomak who doesn't identify himself as Bulgarian, Turk of Greek should be persuaded that he is not individual, that he doesn't have the right to have his own language and culture? This is called "nationalism. Especially for a people who don't cause problems and live peacefully in their lands and love the country where they live (Greece or Bulgaria)...

Where is the right of self-determination?

They are Greeks because they live in Greece....

They are Bulgarians because they speak bulgarian...

They are Turks because they are muslims...

Let them be unique... That's the most wonderful thing..
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
Tangra View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 15:16

I look forward  to your analysis.

Thank you BG_Turk!
And yes I will share my thoughts on it.

Regards

Edited by Tangra - 27-Jun-2006 at 15:39
HUBAVA SI MOYA GORO!
Tangra View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 15:29
Originally posted by Bulldog

Forcefull assimilation by the Bulgarians,forcefull conversion by the ottomans??

The worst part is some people actually believe these ridiculous stories, the Ottomans did not have a forcefull assimilation program if they did there wouldn't be a single Christian in the Balkans today, everyone would be a Muslim Turk.

The early Ottomans were "frontier" Turks, now understanding what this meant is essential.

The culture of this frontier march was as complicated as its pollitics. Its laws were those of Turkish tribal custom, the yasa. This was a transition age, still there were Shaman-Tengrism Turks who would call themselves Muslim but were more inbetween. Ottoman Dervishes always accompanied early Ottoman armies on their campaigns. Some of the mystics would even claim Islam and Christianity were the same religion, that they're both monothiest, there's no need for fighting or division and that they believed at the end of the day in one God. What you may find most suprising is that they had many, many Christian followers, Christians were staying Christian but deserting the Byzantiums to join the Ottomans.

Official Ottoman attitudes towards Christians and Jews were similarly sympathetic. Previously persecuted minorities like the Bogomils of Bosnia turned Muslim in large numbers, while elsewhere in the Balkans, Orthodox Christians often welcomned the Ottomans as liberaters from Catholic domination. The Turks demanded fewer dues that had previous rulers.

What many looking at it from today's perspective fail to realise is that these Turks bought somthing unseen before and an original form of rule to Anatolia, never before had the ordinary people had so many rights, privaledges and freedoms. The Turks were inclusive and even attracted non-Muslims among the ranks, names like Kose Mikhal or Gazi Evrenos instantly spring to mind.

Bulldog,

I beg to differ but may be it will be healthy for unbiased analysis if you look up the Bulgarian history Under Ottomans during 17 th and 18  century and also a comparison between the way things were handled in Bulgaria compared to other provinces of the empire.

The Ottoman empire was very beneficial and tollerant in most of its provinces but Bulgaria was not one of the lucky ones particularly in 17th and 18th century.

"Orthodox Christians often welcomned the Ottomans as liberaters from Catholic domination"
my reply to that is - Shocked  "often" is not the same as "always"

Take one quich simple example and look up the history of Monastery Rilsky.

To oppose on one extreme you have gone  to the other extreme.

"The worst part is some people actually believe these ridiculous stories,"

We may pick and choose which historians we rather read and trust but I think it is very incorrect to label the history of a nation in totality of that period  as "rediculous stories".

NO-NO  Bulldog NO-NO  

RegardsSmile

Edited by Tangra - 27-Jun-2006 at 17:52
HUBAVA SI MOYA GORO!
Tangra View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 20:40
BG_Turk

I haven't had time to research yet but anyways I wanted to reply and as time goes by and I have a chance to read more on the subject I will add more to it.

For the moment ( if the document above is truthful and unbiased)  I'd like to say that

Forceful conversion is the most stupid thing. No one can be forced to believe. People can be forced to convert but not to believe at least not for a few generations.

Secondly, forced conversion is a very stupid idea because it angers people it makes them despise their oppressors and it never leads to anything beneficial to the country.

Forceful conversion specifically to christianity is indeed in my opinion very hipocritical because christianity is about mercy and forgiveness and tollerance above all else.

Given the year this has happened I see more of a madness of people who have had enough of everything - rather than a conversion. I think at the time in Bulgaria there was no room for tollerance left.

However that is not an excuse. There is no excuse for such stupidity and cold-bloodedness.  It is more like if one defeated the oppressor so that one becomes an oppressor.

I think it was stupid converting the Pomaks. Overthrow an oppressive regime often comes with the feeling of turning the tables but in this case there was nothing to be gained or proven by focusing on the pomaks who actually were part of the population and I know that except religously most of them were walking in the same shoes as bulgarians.

I am personally saddened to learn anything like that that it has happened because it is nothing to be proud of. I will definetely research on the subject and try to bring more light to it.

What should have been done at this time is enforce Christianity  by practicing Christianity and enforcing its principles meaning being forgiving and merciful.

Seems like in that year 1912 it has been acted upon the Pomaks with the Ottomans type of iron fist, rather than with the Christian.

In general I am very proud that Bulgarians preserved faith, language and culture throught centuries of intense influence and often unforgettable brutality as recorded by historians but to see that at the end Bulgarians acted like their own oppressors even if it was just for one year is indeed more of  a defeat rahter than a victory.

I personally condemn that, if it has happened that way,  because it is like stepping on the same low level as the ideology which was brutalizing the Bulgarians through the centuries.

Bulgaria had bottled a lot of pain and pain leads to anger and anger leads to the most stupid and mad mistakes and injustices. Pain, fear, and frustration are the three most powerful triggers of anger and of what I sense in the content of this document above, I sense a lot of anger.

Now almost hundred years later we look upon this we can clearly see that Bulgarians should have been more faithful to their moral and integrity. These acts were a failure as they produced pain and unhealhty strong resentment.

I hope that now that the page of history has been turned and we are looking towards democratic future that all ethnicities on the bolkans will be wise enough to leave the grudges and take advantage of the opportunity to build a better life of respect and tollerance and do not repeat the past.

Isolationism leads to nothingness

Edited by Tangra - 27-Jun-2006 at 20:50
HUBAVA SI MOYA GORO!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12