Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Armenia,Cradle of Civilization

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Apples n Oranges View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Apples n Oranges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Armenia,Cradle of Civilization
    Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 12:03

There are many regions in world which claim to be the original Civilization.I found a nice website which claims Armenia as Cradle of Civilization.

Cut,Copy,Paste is not allowed from that site.Please take a look.What's your view on this claim.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Originally posted by Harput

THE SUPPOSITION

With a little imagination, some biblical and historical facts and a little deductive reasoning you can place Ancient Armenia as the "Cradle Of Civilization". In fact you can almost narrow it down to the poor little village of Harput. A small village in now Eastern Anatolia, Turkey which lies between the confluence of the headwaters of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. At least it did lie there until an earthquake demolished it and caused most if it's inhabitants to flee to Elazig, a Turkish city near there.

http://www.thegutsygourmet.net/cradle.html

Edited by Apples n Oranges
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 18:36
To be the craddle of Hebrews (possible) does not mean "to be the cradle of Civilization", a honor that by all means belongs to Sumer, southern Iraq.

Said that, there was another topic with the same theory but a little eastward: in Iranian Kurdistan. Whatever the case it would seem like Kurdistan could be associated to the origin of at least some Hebrews - but it's a little speculative anyhow.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Apples n Oranges View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Apples n Oranges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 18:42

Hi Maju,this website claims that Sumerians claimed their ancestors were from Armenia.Whats your view.

The Sumerians, an ancient peoples and one of the first civilizations in the world called Ararat, Arrata. In their great epic poems of Gilgamesh and Arrata, they tell of the land of their ancestors, the Arratans in the Highlands of Armenia. The Sumerians also in the epic poems describe the Great Flood and the rebirth of life after the terrible deluge that fell from the Highlands of Armenia unto the lands of Mesopotamia and the Fertile Crescent. The Sumerians had a very close connection with the ancestral Land of Ararat and considered it as their ancestral homeland (many historians and archaeologists are convinced that the Sumerians initially lived in Northern Mesopotamia and Armenian Highland).

http://www.accuracyingenesis.com/ararat.html

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 02:37

The Sumerians, an ancient peoples and one of the first civilizations in the world called Ararat, Arrata.

Ararat was simply the Hebrew version of the Assyrian name, Urartu, a name which only goes back to the mid-13th century BC to the form Uruatri.  Hence, any supposed similarities is only in the imagination of theorist.  Aratta, on the other hand is only attested in the third millennium BC.

In their great epic poems of Gilgamesh and Arrata, they tell of the land of their ancestors, the Arratans in the Highlands of Armenia.

The epics never state that Aratta was the land of their origin, or that the Arattans were their ancestors, and it was not the "epic poems of Gilgamesh" that deal with the subject of Aratta, but the "epic poems of Enmerkar" one of Gilgamesh's predecessors to the throne of Uruk.

The Sumerians also in the epic poems describe the Great Flood and the rebirth of life after the terrible deluge that fell from the Highlands of Armenia unto the lands of Mesopotamia and the Fertile Crescent.

We know that according to the description of the journey to Aratta from Uruk in the three epics which comprise the "Enmerkar Cycle",  Aratta was located beyond "seven mountains" which ranged about the land of Anshan.  Since we know that Anshan was in Iran, specifically to the north of Elam, the "seven mountains" must be the Zagros.  Aratta was beyond the Zagros Mts.  The problem is that we don't know if Aratta was located in northern Iran, central Iran, or southern Iran.  The excavations at Jiroft seem to show some promise as the probable site of this civilization.

The Sumerians had a very close connection with the ancestral Land of Ararat and considered it as their ancestral homeland (many historians and archaeologists are convinced that the Sumerians initially lived in Northern Mesopotamia and Armenian Highland).

Again, there is no language in the epics which makes Aratta, "ancestral" or "close" in connection to Sumer.  What we do gain from the epics is that some of the same deities were worshipped and that (at least in one of the epics) the ruler of Aratta bore a Sumerian name.  The problem with such information is that it may just be a literary device.  In either case nothing suggests that Aratta and Uruk had a common ancestry.

As for "many historians and archaeologists", this statement seems rather as too optimistic a statement.  It may be that there was a tendency to look for Sumerian origins in the Hassuna Culture of northern Mesopotamia which according to the old theory gave rise to the Samarra Culture (c. 5700-4900 BC) of the Diyala Region, but the tendency now is to find Sumerian cultural roots in the Kermanshah Culture (c. 7500-5600 BC) of western Iran. 

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 12:02
Originally posted by Apples n Oranges

Hi Maju,this website claims that Sumerians claimed their ancestors were from Armenia.Whats your view.

The Sumerians, an ancient peoples and one of the first civilizations in the world called Ararat, Arrata. In their great epic poems of Gilgamesh and Arrata, they tell of the land of their ancestors, the Arratans in the Highlands of Armenia. The Sumerians also in the epic poems describe the Great Flood and the rebirth of life after the terrible deluge that fell from the Highlands of Armenia unto the lands of Mesopotamia and the Fertile Crescent. The Sumerians had a very close connection with the ancestral Land of Ararat and considered it as their ancestral homeland (many historians and archaeologists are convinced that the Sumerians initially lived in Northern Mesopotamia and Armenian Highland).

http://www.accuracyingenesis.com/ararat.html

Don't feel like reading it right now but here there are my 2 cents: Apparently the creators of Sumerian civilization do come from the north but from closer areas. The sequence goes like this, going back to the first farmers and potters of the Zagros region:

In the North:
  1. Jarmo (since c. 6750 BCE)
  2. Umh Dabaghiyah (c. 6000-5800)
  3. Hassunna (c. 5800-5500)
  4. Samarra (c. 5600-5300)
  5. Chogga Mami (c. 5000-4800): Samarra-Sumer transition
In the South:
  1. Eridu (since c. 5000)
    1. Chogga Mami pottery (5000-4800)
    2. Halafian influence (since 4800)
    3. El Ubeyd pottery
  2. El Ubayd (c. 4800-3750): potters wheel!
    1. Influences Tepe Gawra in the north and shows influence in a wide SW Asian area. El Ubayd culture could have been the first empire ever!
  3. Uruk (c. 3750-3150): pottery copied from metalic objects, Semitic infiltration.
  4. Jemdet Nasr (3150-2900): continuation of Uruk
  5. Archaic Dysnastic period (since 2900)
There's some speculation that some changes in early Eridu may mean the invasion by some other people or just a telogical change - but I'm not sure about the details.

Also, going bacvk to Armenia, that region most probably spoke a Caucasian tongue before Indo-Europeization, as Hattis and Hurrians show that speech clearly too. Sumerians instead spoke an isolate.

Sumerians called themselves Sag-Nag: "the black heads". This may mean that they saw themselves as darker than their neighbours or maybe it was just one of those conventions to call all people in general, as some have suggested. They also believed to have come from Dilmun, an island commonly associated with Bahrain - this could reinforce the idea of an invasion in the early stages of Eridu that replaced a nameless deity with Enki, the lord of waters and fish. But the transition could have been caused by the mere settling in coastal areas, as those were then.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 12:35

Maju wrote-

El Ubayd (c. 4800-3750): potters wheel!  

You are saying potters wheel Introduced into mesapotamia, not invented there, certainly.   

Edited by red clay
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 22:56
Originally posted by red clay

Maju wrote-

You are saying potters wheel Introduced into mesapotamia, not invented there, certainly.   

I assume that invented. Else, where was it invented? I'm just too lazy now to search about it.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 23:24
Originally posted by Maju

Originally posted by red clay

Maju wrote-

You are saying potters wheel Introduced into Mesopotamia, not invented there, certainly.   

I assume that invented. Else, where was it invented? I'm just too lazy now to search about it.

Still open,  3-4 camps, mesopotamia, china, crete and at least one other.   I'm in the China camp.

BTW= it's good to know I'm not the only one, must be the weather change

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 09:57
Hmm.  The first Sumerian wheel-made pottery dates from about 3000 BC, although fragments of potter's wheels have been dated to an earlier period.  According to the information I was able to gather, the first Chinese wheel-made pottery only dates from the Lung-shan Culture (c. 2600-1850 BC).
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 11:17

Notice I said, "still open". This is and probably always will be disputed. You can't go by the neat little time lines museums and others have assembled, there are too many overlapping and too many other factors involved. 

I am running short on time right now but will come back to this later. I'll leave you with this, I have held pieces dated to at least 3500 bce and there was no doubt in my mind that they were wheel thrown.  

Unknown.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 14:01
Originally posted by Sharrukin

Hmm.  The first Sumerian wheel-made pottery dates from about 3000 BC, although fragments of potter's wheels have been dated to an earlier period.  According to the information I was able to gather, the first Chinese wheel-made pottery only dates from the Lung-shan Culture (c. 2600-1850 BC).

Sumerian potter's wheel It's actually older according tyo my source (Federico Lara Peinado, La Civilizacin Sumeria, 1999). According to Lara, in the Uruk period (c. 3750-3150):

Potter's wheel, already known in the previous period [El Ubayd] is improved, what allowed mass production of pottery.

He also mentions as achievements of this cultural period, the developement of metalurgy (copper, lead) and, most important, the invention of writting!

It's worth mention that Sumerians didn't only invent (or develope) all these but also would soon invent the chariot of 4 compact wheels. No horses? No prob: they domesticated onagres: a wild species of ass even today. They were undoubtdly ingenious.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 19:31

This is one of those subjects that potters argue about, usually after a few libations.  It was late, I was bored, not the slightest bit sleepy, and I saw an opportunity to draw you into a discussion, which you apparently saw thru.  

There isn't a clear answer, the influencing factors are many and varied, technique-direct lump forming versus coil and throw, definition of type of wheel, fast wheel, what is etc. 

some one always brings up the question of a culture having or not having the wheel as in carts,wagons etc.  and someone counters that a potters wheel could exist without that technology being applied to something else.

The problem is that there are no writings or images referring to the wheel in China as early as I am referring to.  There are I believe, in Mesopotamia, as there are in Egypt as well.

Sharrukin refers to the lung-shan culture at 2600 bce but some sources give 3200 and others 3500, overlapping with the northwestern culture whose name escapes me.[ Yangshao-5000-1500bce]

It is not a matter that will ever be solved and fortunately, not that important. 

Edited by red clay
Unknown.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 22:05
Yes, you know: the Chinese (or other East Asians sometimes) are always there with at least comparable achievements to those of West Eurasia. I wouldn't expect less. Yet, let's give the benefit of doubt to Sumerians in this case, as they seem well dated, not just for the Uruk period but even before (what could put us well in the 5th milennium). 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 22:40

Originally posted by Maju

Yes, you know: the Chinese (or other East Asians sometimes) are always there with at least comparable achievements to those of West Eurasia. I wouldn't expect less. Yet, let's give the benefit of doubt to Sumerians in this case, as they seem well dated, not just for the Uruk period but even before (what could put us well in the 5th milennium). 

Now who's trying to draw someone in?   It's my turn to be tired and for tonight I'll have to let it go, but I see a thread on this soon. 

Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply