Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ahmed Shah Durrani and the Sikhs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ahmed Shah Durrani and the Sikhs
    Posted: 21-Apr-2006 at 19:14

Well dear Afghanan,
It all begun with Rajput pointing out that not only Indian women but men were too abused and raped during the 3rd Battle of Panipat...

I dont think this is something unique to Afghans.  The Moghuls had many young boys in their harems and 'page boys.'  So did the Khanate kingdoms in the north. 

Ranjit Singh when accomodating his British allies, would have lavish feasts and parties which included 40 dancing girls dressed as young boys.   Alexander Burnes, the British Agent and Spy said that Ranjit Singh was addicted to sex, alcohol,  and had numerous wives as well.

Burnes after seeing the 40 boydressed girls whisked away on elephants, later reveals, "This is one of my regiments, but they tell me it is the only one I cannot discipline."

Edited by Afghanan
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Rajput View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Rajput Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2006 at 21:02

Originally posted by Afghanan

How did the topic divert to homosexuality? 

As God is my witness I am not the instigator my afghan brother, baba Gharanai obviously took to the offensive when I posted the jangnama by Noor Mohommad, he presumed I was out to insult his people for some reason or another....?

Ranjit Singh when accomodating his British allies, would have lavish feasts and parties which included 40 dancing girls dressed as young boys.   Alexander Burnes, the British Agent and Spy said that Ranjit Singh was addicted to sex, alcohol,  and had numerous wives as well.

lol man this is a punjabi custom....and keep in mind they're girls dressed as men...not the other way around.. lol  yullaa babaaaa

If God did not create the horse, he would not have created the Rajput.
plovdiv33 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote plovdiv33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2009 at 13:22
Gharanai
You are saying that Bactrians were not Afghans Confused are you out of your mindLOL
then who were bactrians  ????????
ancient people
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2009 at 13:58
Well they wern't Bulgarians LOL
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

MarcoPolo View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote MarcoPolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 05:20
I think when discussing the ''Sikh'' Empire we need to clarify a few points;

It is basically considered a ''Panjabi'' empire with the figurehead and some of the top echelons belonging to the Sikh faith, its army had a considerable heavy contingent of Pasthtun fighters in its ranks; notably Khattaks and Yusufzai's as well as Hindokowans.  Otherwise it would have been next to impossible for practitioners of the Sikh faith, on their own, to have taken over these areas. 

The empire itself, was a multicultural and multi-faith based one, secular in ideology.  It must be remembered that Sikhs, essentially a reformist sect of the late 17th century, where never a large population but where always a minority faith practiced by the people inhabiting the eastern Panjab region; with many of them converting from hinduism but having still maintained their Panjabi ethnic traits. 

Furthermore, while the new ''sect'' had gathered the bulk of its followers from eastern Panjab east of the current border, after the signing of the Anglo-Sikh agreements, the Panjabi-Sikh empire where to push west from the sutlej/ravi border away from British colonial india into territory they lacked any base in.  The bulk of its army was still made up of Panjabi's and Pashtuns; nearly all of whom where Muslims,  many of its generals where European ex-mercerneries many of whom fled from their native lands after Napoleans downfall (eg.  Napieri, Ventura). 

Incidently, with the independence of Pakistan, and later india as well as the partition of the Panjab province whereby 4 of the regions great rivers went to Pakistan and 1 went to india, the Sikhs were concentrated for the first time into a homogenous region in india; something of a feat unknown to them prior to this. A feat that brought the vast diverse minority Sikh's from dispering regions into a more compact one.   It proved to be beneficial to them, but this was to prove short lived.

Unfortunately for them, they're high rate of male immigration/refugees to foreign countries and the influx of large number of non-Panjabi's into their province in eastern Panjabi into their last bastion, is further weakening the foothold they made.  The region has one of the largest inversion of the male to female populations in the world further altering the genetic make-up of the sikh panjabi's as many have had to marry outside due to the lack of available women.  I think at last estimates, they represent around 60% of the population but are projected to become a minority in their own province withing the next 25-35years.

Incidently, Ahmed Shah Abdali, the Afghan king and founder of modern day Afghanistan, was born in the southern Panjab in the city of Multan.  He made many forrays against the Sikhs, but had to cope with uprising and the ever present Persians making inroads from what is now Iran. 

The point of all this, is while we discuss the ''Sikh'' empire, we must understand that it was a multicultural, multi-faith and secular based empire.  Its rise coincided with the suppression of the Moghul empire in South Asia by the British and their subsequent tacit approval of thier rise in the first place, and the infighting and dissaray in Afghanistan proper which allowed this hitherto minority sect, to gain a short lived empire in the important and strategic Panjab region.

So while the ruler of the empire may have been sikh, the empire was a secular one and the majority of its subjects, troops and administrators where not of that faith.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2009 at 00:53
The sikhs are also in Afghanistan and are known for how much they love their swords . Im an Afghani but not a sikh . My family is from the Nangarhar province. ANd many sikhs live there along side pashtuns. The sikhs were known for their swords. And when they did the attan (a traditional afghan dance) they did it with their swords instead of the hands. Tongue

And as for Afghan (the guy who called you guys indians) India is a Country not an ethnic group. 

ruffian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote ruffian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2009 at 05:51
Originally posted by 00historylover00

The sikhs are also in Afghanistan and are known for how much they love their swords . Im an Afghani but not a sikh . My family is from the Nangarhar province. ANd many sikhs live there along side pashtuns. The sikhs were known for their swords. And when they did the attan (a traditional afghan dance) they did it with their swords instead of the hands. Tongue

And as for Afghan (the guy who called you guys indians) India is a Country not an ethnic group. 

What is the significance of doing it with swords? Sorry I am not familiar with attan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12