Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Battle of Longewala (Indo-Pak �71)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rajput View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Rajput Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Battle of Longewala (Indo-Pak �71)
    Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 19:35

Battle of Longewala

Fought in the Thar desert of Rajasthan by 120 odd Indian soldiers of the 23rd Punjab Regiment (Sikhs) and the (BSF) Indian Border Security Force (Rajputs), who managed to repulse a Pakistani offensive.

Pakistan under Brig. Tariq Mir, had 2000-3000 strong 51st Infantry Brigade backed by the Pakistani 22nd Armoured Regiment of equipped with 50+ Sherman and T-59 China make tanks. 

India under Major Kuldip Singh Chandpuri had a section of MMG's, 81mm Mortars and 2 Recoiless Gun Detachments. The Indians, without armour, artillery or extra troop support managed to put up a strong fight in order to hold the Pakistanis at bay till air cover had arrived. 

If God did not create the horse, he would not have created the Rajput.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 07:35
Sure Sure.

We destroyed the entire Indian armoured core at Sialkot in '65 using only 50 tanks and jeeps with RPGs.
Rajput View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Rajput Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 09:28

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Sure Sure.
We destroyed the entire Indian armoured core at Sialkot in '65 using only 50 tanks and jeeps with RPGs.

Lets keep this particular thread for Longewala, you can start another one on this particular sialkot war, although I doubt the odds were as grave as 120 Indians pitched against 3000 some odd Pakistanis with 50+ tanks

King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 20:02
The odds were much much worse. If it wasn't for the incompentence of the Indian army and the bravery and superior fighting ability of Pakistanis, we would sure have lost. 
Rajput View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Rajput Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 21:39

The odds were much much worse. If it wasn't for the incompentence of the Indian army and the bravery and superior fighting ability of Pakistanis, we would sure have lost. 

So lets have a separate thread for it, I'm sure everyone here would love to hear about a noteworthy battle if it shows worse odds than Longewala.  It will be interesting to say the least or was it a bed time fiction your dad used to tell you lol...

King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 02:10
Hey, you started talking about Glorious old battles not I.
Apples n Oranges View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Apples n Oranges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 05:28

Hi Omar,you started deviating from the topic not Rajput.

King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 06:05
Originally posted by Apples n Oranges

Hi Omar,you started deviating from the topic not Rajput.

Its not deviation. He posted pro-India propaganda, so I posted pro-paki propaganda.
Apples n Oranges View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Apples n Oranges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 06:08

Its not deviation. He posted pro-India propaganda, so I posted pro-paki propaganda.

I can't see any pro-India propaganda in this thread.We would like to discuss a glorious old battle.That's all.

Rajput View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Rajput Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 09:30

I am not trying to make this a India versus Pakistan issue, rather since this website is used to discuss battles I posted one such battle which depicts some Rajputs and mostly Sikhs showing bravery in the face of what should have been utter defeat at the hands of the Pakistanis. But, dont take my word for it.

Colonel Polier was a Swiss officer in the Mughal Darbar and here is what he has quoted of the Sikhs:

"Five hundred of Najaf Khan's horse dare not encounter fifty Sikh horsemen."

Colonel A.L.H. Polier (died in A.D. 1795) [9] wrote, "Originally and in general the Siques (Sikhs) are zemindars (landowners) or cultivators of land, and of that tribe called Jatts (Jats) which, in this part of India, are reckoned the best and most laborious tillers, though at the same time they are also noted for being of an unquiet and turbulent disposition. This tribe of Jatts (Jats) is very numerous and dispersed in all the country from the Sind (presently, a province of Pakistan or river Indus) to the southward far beyond Agra (a city in northern India).
In another document Polier [9] said, "But what is more to be admitted is that those Seik (Sikh) Sirdars (Chiefs), whose territories border on the King's were but very lately of the Jauts (Jats) and of their caste and tribe ---- they have put on their iron bracelet, fifty of them are enough to keep at bay a whole battalion of the king's forces, such as they are".

Edited by Rajput

ashokharsana View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote ashokharsana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2006 at 04:22

Hi Guys,

Nice picture Rajput.

Major Kuldeep Singh Chandpuri, Whose role was played by sunny deol in famous movie "Boarder" was Gurjar by caste.

Regards

Ashok Harsana
The Real Ranas, The Real Emperors of India. http://ashokharsana.proboards107.com/index.cgi?board=gurjars
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2006 at 22:20
Pakistan's battle plan was based on the assumption that an attack in the area would help Pakistans 1st Armoured Divisions task in Ganganagar area. Pakistan High command also felt that it was important to protect the North-South road link which they felt was vulnerable as it was close to the border.
Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
 Post Reply Post Reply