Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prizren, Kosova

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sikander View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prizren, Kosova
    Posted: 05-Dec-2007 at 22:21
Banja Luka? Perhaps I'll find an old hamami (= banja) over there Smile 
Jajce also looks interesting, with its waterfalls.
Before the war I know that in that national park there were bears and so, I hope the place was left unskavanged...

Thanks
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 01:17
Jajce used to be the capital in the Medieval period when Bosnia was a kingdom. Banja Luka is a good tourist attraction too, but a much more modernized one, Sarajevo has its modern parts, but also its Ottoman and 19th ct architecture. 
Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 17:35
Jajca is an incredible place. It had the best looking castle ever, it was a hard job to besiege it f. e. both for the ottomans and hungarians.

Does someone have a photo about the fortess/town?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 18:10
Let me see, and I'll post.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 22:31
Originally posted by es_bih

Originally posted by miki015

Arber,SERBIA does exists!!!The greatest mosque in Prizren,the famous Sinan's pasha mosque has been built from the stolen blocks from the St.Archangels churc,built by Serbian tzar Stefan Dusan Silni...read history...

Serbia and Montenegro is what he said, and he is correct that entity no longer exists. If you had had read the post properly you would have seen that he never said that Serbia does not exist.

And you all should notice the date of the post - back then, S&M still existed. Embarrassed
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 22:33
Originally posted by Sikander

Hummm, though I would prefer to stick to the topic, I must interrupt to tell Es Bih that RS is based on ethnic cleanseing just as much as the "Albanian Kosovo" is.
In the early XXth cent. more than half of Kosovo's population was Serbian. After 2 ethnic cleansings (WW1 and WW2),  the forbidance (under Tito's orders) of the return of the Serbian refugees after 1945 and a 3rd ethnic cleansing (this time under NATO's auspices), the Serbia population in Kosovo is now of just a few thousands.
So, the legitimacy is the same for both parties: the Albanians in Kosovo and the Serbians in Bosnia. Oh, and more legitimcy have the Flemish in Belgium; and the Galicians, the Catalonians and the Basques in Spain, and the Russians in Trans-Dnistrya and Ukraine; and so on and so on... and why not? But its not a matter of legitimacy, is a matter of politics...

Anyway, Mila, which places in BH would be worth visiting besides Mostar (and a national park near Bihac which I don't now if it's safe to visit)?

He was referring just to the 1990s, you're grasping whole history. Also to be precise, there is more than 100,000 Serbs in Kosovo today (still).
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 22:41

The thing is that historically that region had had a sizable Albanian population, and accounts trying to discredit that in order to tip the balance more to the Serb side are flawed and Nationalist in nature. Both populations have a rich and fluid history in the region. The Albanians did not kick the Serbs out of Kosovo in WWI or WWII. The Yugoslav kingdom controlled Kosovo in that period, as well as Tito after WWII. Tito was not anti-Serb no matter how you want to put it. He maintained peace by balancing by giving autonomy to a sizable minority within Yugoslavia as he did in Vojvodina.

And the "3rd" is in co-relation to the one initiated  by the Serbian central government under Milosevic.

Of course, Serbs weren't kicked out of Kosovo in WWI - but a little correction, they were in WWII. More than 100,000 Serbs were expelled and 10,000 killed in camps by the Fascist (Greater) Albanian state, most notably the notorious SS Scandebey division. Between 1941 and 1944/1945 Yugoslavia didn't control Kosovo.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 22:51
Not all of the time, but they did control in one form or another some parts earlier, and then later under Tito's government.

I stand corrected on WWII expulsions.

Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 18:38
The waterfalls of Jajce . Csontvry Kosztka Tivadar, 1903.

Can you recognize a large animal? :-))

Edited by Tar Szernd - 09-Dec-2007 at 19:17
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 20:45
In the early XXth cent. more than half of Kosovo's population was Serbian.

Not true, actually. In 1912, when the province was taken over by Serbia, 70% of the population was Albanian. Between that period and WW2 the number of Albs declined to 50% because of Serb-Montenegrin colonization. These were the principal targets of the WW2 Albanian expulsion.
vranakonti View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote vranakonti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2007 at 03:08
Originally posted by Yugoslav

The thing is that historically that region had had a sizable Albanian population, and accounts trying to discredit that in order to tip the balance more to the Serb side are flawed and Nationalist in nature. Both populations have a rich and fluid history in the region. The Albanians did not kick the Serbs out of Kosovo in WWI or WWII. The Yugoslav kingdom controlled Kosovo in that period, as well as Tito after WWII. Tito was not anti-Serb no matter how you want to put it. He maintained peace by balancing by giving autonomy to a sizable minority within Yugoslavia as he did in Vojvodina.

And the "3rd" is in co-relation to the one initiated  by the Serbian central government under Milosevic.

Of course, Serbs weren't kicked out of Kosovo in WWI - but a little correction, they were in WWII. More than 100,000 Serbs were expelled and 10,000 killed in camps by the Fascist (Greater) Albanian state, most notably the notorious SS Scandebey division. Between 1941 and 1944/1945 Yugoslavia didn't control Kosovo.

The whole WW2  casualities in kosova were less than 25'000 of them about 12'000 albanians and 10'000 serbs,i seriously doubt that all these 10'000 serbs died in imprisonment,but is true about 30'000(only a little part of at least 70000 serbian colons settled after 1913)serbs were kicked out,but they were all colons that were settled in the region during the prior period,and this fact was recognised even from later yugoslavian communist goverment that  forbided  their  return after  the war. And ss scanderbeg wasnt that notorious at all,it was created only in 1944 and suffered from the begining by a large haemorrhage of albanian desertions,and its minor importance was in no way comparable with the croatian or serb forms of collaborationism.And ofcourse im talking only of what happened during the war and not about the treatment reserved to the alb. kosovars immediately after.
About Prizren it is an absolute albanian city for at least  the last 300 years,was the center  of the albanian  rebellion during  the  Turko-Austrian wars and of the albanian "league of prizren".Is also undeniable its strong ottoman an serb heritage.
Ti Shqipri m ep nder...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12