Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Please, Help me: Primary sources

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please, Help me: Primary sources
    Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 20:41

I need primary sources about mongols written by arabs, persians and other muslim people. 

If you have links, names etc please let me know.

Unfortunately I know only 2 sources:

1) Ata-Malik Juvaini: <The history of the world conquerer>
2) Rashid ad-Din: <Jami' at-tawarikh>

I will be very thankful if you also write detailed about the autors, and the date of publication etc. .

Edited by Detective
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 14:17

Ibn Al-Athir, A Literary History of Persia

Tuzak-i-timuri: The Autobiography of Timur. This book also discusses the conquering of the Jagatai, and Il-Khan Mongol Khanates

Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 14:39
Sources on the Il-Khanate:

Embassies to the Mameluk court from the Muslim ruler of the Ilkhanate:

al-Fadl al ma'thur min sirat al-Malik al-Mansur by Safi (1252-1330)
Tashrif al-ayyam wa'l-usur fi sirat al-malik al-Mansur by the uncle of Safi

Sources on the Mongol administration of the IlKhanate:

Tarikh-i Wassaf (1269)
Simt al-'ula
Tarikh-i jahangusha
Tarikh-i mubarak-i
Mukatabat-i rashidi
Tarikh-i guzida
Nafa'is al-funun

These appear as citations on journal articles found on JSTOR.
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 09:05
Go to

http://persian.packhum.org/persian/

Persian texts in translation, many of the Mongol sources are there.  Both main biographies of Timur are in the History of India book.  This is an ongoing collection so should grow.  "A History of the Moghuls - Tarikh-i-Rashidi" (also there)  is a major Islamic source on the Mongols (it's about the original Moghuls, Chaghatai and his descendants).

Edited by tadamson
rgds.

Tom..
Hushyar View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Hushyar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 10:25

I recommend that If you could have access to Petroshevsky (I hope I wrote its pronounciations correctly) works , refer to his works, because he has extensive knowledge on the primary sources which deals with mongol History in Iran.

I can only present Arabic and Persian sources ,

1)Ibn-Al-Athir, he has a very big book in Arabic language which is called "Al-kamel fi altarikh".This book is like an Encyclopedia for the middle east history from start of 11th century to year of 1231.(very famous book in Islamic history)

2)Nasavi (Mohammad ibn e Ahmad e Nasavi) who has two book, one Arabic and the other Persian,

2-A) "Sirat o soltan Jalaleddin Mankubarni" which also has a french translation in 1895.

2-P) "naftat o almasdur" (it is a persian book although its name is Arabic) which is written in 1235.

3)Juzjani (Menhajeddin othman ibn serajeddin Juzjani) has a persian book which is called " Tabaqat e Naseri" or " Tarikh e Menhaj e Seraj" in 1260. It has an English translation in 1863 in Kolkata.

4) Jovaini (Ata ol molk e Jovaini) has a history book in persian which is name is "Tarikh e Jahangosha" in 1260.(again very famous)

5)Rashideddin Fazlollah has two books in persian.

5-1)"Jame' ottavarikh" which has two volume , its first volume " Tarikh e Ghazani" is also important in turkish History.(very famous)1311.

5-2)"Mokatebat e Rashidi" or " Mashe'at e Rashidi" is a collection of 53 letters from Rashideddin (who was Ghazan minister)

6)Vesaf (Shahabeddin Abdollah ibn e fazlollah e Shirazi) has a persian book which is called "Tarikh e Vesaf" (extremly difficult and very boring text)It has been writen in 1312 to 1325.

7) Hamdollah e Mostowfi has three persian books.

7-1)"Tarikh e Gozideh" 1330.(famous) it has an English translation in 1913 London.

7-2)"Zafar Nameh" a poetic history like Shahnameh which continue Shahnameh stories from emergence of Islam to 1330.

7-3)"nozhat al Qolub" a geographical book 1340.English translation in London 1915.

There are plenty of sources , but many of them has not been printed until now.

Hushyar View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Hushyar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 10:30

Originally posted by tadamson

Go to

http://persian.packhum.org/persian/

Persian texts in translation, many of the Mongol sources are there.  Both main biographies of Timur are in the History of India book.  This is an ongoing collection so should grow.  "A History of the Moghuls - Tarikh-i-Rashidi" (also there)  is a major Islamic source on the Mongols (it's about the original Moghuls, Chaghatai and his descendants).

very very great link !!!!!!

Thank you.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 12:06
Indeed. Tadamson does have wide knowledge on steppe history and he provides good links.
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 11:29
Sadly, as Hushyar says, many of the more interesting ones are not translated...
rgds.

Tom..
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 15:56

edit sorry linking to a specific page doesnt work...

tadamson, do you believe what is written out there?

Edited by DayI
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 20:43
Originally posted by DayI

I'm not clear what you are asking ?
rgds.

Tom..
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 12:32
Originally posted by tadamson

Originally posted by DayI

I'm not clear what you are asking ?
i asked that because there where some textes who where refering some "historical figures" as being Turk (exspecially the ones from Ulug big), i tought i whas on a wrong site. So did i wanna ask to you, are those sources accurate?
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 10:52
ok..

The site has translations of ancient works into English, as with all sources they have to be used carefully as there are many factors that affect "truth" and "accuracy".

Eg  if so and so is described as a 'Turk', that may be the term used by the medieval writer (and it might be accurate, it might be generic, it might be an insult, it might be a mark of esteem etc), it might be the term that the translator thinks best convays the original meaning, it might be the result of a corrupt manuscript (the translators normally worked from surviving copies of copies of originals) etc..
rgds.

Tom..
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 11:07
I sense the same thing Tadamson. Many of the past writers used to use and bunch the name Turk or Tartar as a means of cohesively identifying many central asian ethnicities. This simplifying method was actually at odds with what some of the tribes actually called themselves.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 22:01

Thank you, ppl.  You helped much.

tadamson:  great link

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 08:09

Do you know chinese primary sources about mongols of 13-14th century?

I heard of : <Yuan Shih>.

Please let me know names of authors, titles of books and links. Thank you.

Post Reply Post Reply