Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

*****I need help!!!!!!*****

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: *****I need help!!!!!!*****
    Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 19:21

i have to write a 4  page paper on how the book "disgrace" by J.M. Coetzee is about the change from apartheid to freedom in south africa.

the book does not even talk about ti! infact, blacks are hardly talked about!

any help?

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 19:28
its funny, we just covered the Apartheid government and South African culture in one of my classes. You should look into protest music by Africans, especially Gumboots dancing. 
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 20:34

It's about highlighting the obsurdities of the difference between black and white culture.

I thought the author was trying to say black and white culture was incompatible.

In the almost puritanical realms of a white Disneyland seemingly oblivious to both what south africa is and the outside world. A seperated professor sleeps consentually with a 21 year old student and is driven out of town by outraged morality viewing him practically a rapist.

He goes to the black countryside and sees rape and violence ignored as if it's not even wrong. But also he's sees a younger generation of white south africans able to find this tolerable. On top of this he sees a few wise blacks able to learn the game and become plantation owners and exploiters the way the whites were before.

For me he seems to be saying the aging whites are going to continue living in a world akin the movie Pleasantville becoming more and more irrelevant and extinct. A few blacks are going to take the reins of power leaving the rest in the same state as before, younger whites are going to assimulate with the new black ruling class.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply