Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Egyptian Crowns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Egyptian Crowns
    Posted: 02-Dec-2011 at 19:16
Excellent links. Thanks MedenayweSmile
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2011 at 07:46
Here are most of the God's&Goddess's crowns:
http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/crowns/index.html

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2011 at 10:25
There were also specific or divine crowns that wore Gods:
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/crowns2.htm 
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2011 at 10:33
Here is picture of Ancient Egyptian helmet that reminds me on "future" Roman's helmet!Why did it look so?
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/12/14/gallery/helmet-540x540.jpg

Edited by medenaywe - 30-Nov-2011 at 10:35
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2011 at 15:53
HeDjeT=From/Defended attack asleep...Hmm..Is this a vulture description?!?Thanks,Cyrus!I mean she was
a hawk.Read about this Nephthys goddess more here:
http://www.goddess-guide.com/nephthys.html

Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2011 at 20:35
Originally posted by Nick1986

Would the vulture crown have been worn by male pharaohs? In all the images i've seen, it was worn by queens like Nefertiti, Hatshepsut and Cleopatra

I don't think men can wear it. According to http://www.artyfactory.com/egyptian_art/egyptian_crowns/egyptian_crown_8.htm, vulture goddess was also known as the goddess of childbirth, mothers and children.

Edited by Ollios - 28-Nov-2011 at 20:35
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2011 at 19:05

Would the vulture crown have been worn by male pharaohs? In all the images i've seen, it was worn by queens like Nefertiti, Hatshepsut and Cleopatra
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2011 at 12:11
PSheNT=from/liquid whisper mother's,asleep....Nile's water voice,make you dream!
DeShReT=from/Divine Stone watches sleeper...this one is snake cobra of course!Some syllables have not
still precise meaning...sorry.Language of Ancient Egypt was descriptive,but precise as math!Big smile
Those are my own personal analyzes of words above and have nothing with forum!But let us see blue crown also "war crown" here:(learn alphabet also!)
http://www.artyfactory.com/egyptian_art/egyptian_crowns/egyptian_crown_5.htm

Edited by medenaywe - 28-Nov-2011 at 12:13
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2011 at 20:31

Nefertiti

blue crown and vulture crown

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2011 at 19:48

The crook and the flail are symbols of Egyptian royalty. The herdsman's crook demonstrates the king's ability to guide his people and the agricultural flail shows he can provide his subjects with food

Edited by Nick1986 - 27-Nov-2011 at 19:48
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2011 at 19:09

In wartime the pharaoh wore a special blue crown. Here's an image of King Tut fighting the barbarians

Edited by Nick1986 - 26-Nov-2011 at 19:09
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2011 at 19:14
My mistake. To clarify: the falcon symbolised Southern or "Upper" Egypt. The snake represented Northern or "Lower" Egypt
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2011 at 06:28
This text comes on net:(with original Egyptian names for crowns)
http://africanhistory.about.com/od/glossaryd/g/def_DoubleCrown.htm
and here we have a lot of white,red and  Pshcent (Double Crown of Egypt):
http://ferrebeekeeper.wordpress.com/2011/06/02/the-white-crown-red-crown-and-blue-crown-of-ancient-egypt/ 

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2011 at 02:20
Ancient Egyptians had called Lower Egypt,Upper!Snake was inside crown.Somehow it represents Sun on earth.That's puzzles me all the time.Why? 
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2011 at 19:56
Originally posted by Nick1986

As you said, the crown of Upper Egypt (in the south) bore a cobra. In Lower Egypt (in the north) the king's insignia was the vulture (see the above photo of Tutankhamen who wears both to demonstrate his mastery over all Egypt)

Am I right?
You said; Upper Egypt/South = Cobra and Lower Egypt/North = vulture

I guess, it should be opposite.

Cobra symbolizes delta of Nile so Lower Egypt is Cobra  (Wadjet)
Vulture is a desert animal, Upper Egypt                       (Nekhbet)

Vulture
In Egyptian mythology, Nekhbet (also spelt Nechbet, and Nekhebit) was an early predynastic local goddess who was the patron of the city of Nekheb, her name meaning of Nekheb. Ultimately, she became the patron of Upper Egypt

Cobra
Wadjet was claimed as the patron goddess and protector of the whole of Lower Egypt

reference:viki
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2011 at 19:04
As you said, the crown of Upper Egypt (in the south) bore a cobra. In Lower Egypt (in the north) the king's insignia was the vulture (see the above photo of Tutankhamen who wears both to demonstrate his mastery over all Egypt)
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2011 at 02:34
In Lower Egypt(they called it Upper and themselves Uppers)we have snake cobra in crown.What did present crown of Upper Egypt?
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2011 at 22:34

the crown of princess Sitamun

hedjet & deshret

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2011 at 19:44

Egyptian pharaohs had several distinct crowns. The first of these, the Nemes Headdress, was worn everyday and comprised a striped headscarf and a circlet bearing the vulture and serpent of Upper and Lower Egypt.
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 10:50

Thanks Blue Hue - Good Stuff - I don't always have the time to go digging - and with art history you really have to know where to start before you can dig at all. Without correct provenance  - assumptions are very dangerous.

Also good to kinow that the first image is a rendering after one done during the Champollion expeditions - I was assuming that it was a modern rendering based on imagination

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>