Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What does Ottoman mean?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What does Ottoman mean?
    Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 11:03
Originally posted by Theodore Felix

Now Im rather interested.

The character of Osman must be heavily steeped in myth and tradition. But is there any real info on him? Also, what are some mytholical tales? Is he historically well established or does it have a Romulus ring to it?

Osman I is a known historical character:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osman_I

He ruled in Eskisehir (Dorylaion). And he stabilished the foundations of the new state, whatever the myths around his character.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 11:42
the father of Osman is Ertugrul begh whas an Seljukian bey/begh.
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 23:12

Was he called as Beg or Bey? I'm curious as we use Beg in Uyghur Turkish, which means local chief or aristocrat.  Bay means someone who is rich.

What about Ataman? It has a meaning as a leader in our language. Interestingly, the title translation of the novel "God Father"  into Uyghur is "Ataman".

BTW, People here dont' know Ottoman at all. We call the empire as " Osman Turk Impiriyesi".   

Either make a history or become a history.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 08:57
Originally posted by barbar

Was he called as Beg or Bey? I'm curious as we use Beg in Uyghur Turkish, which means local chief or aristocrat.  Bay means someone who is rich.

What about Ataman? It has a meaning as a leader in our language. Interestingly, the title translation of the novel "God Father"  into Uyghur is "Ataman".

BTW, People here dont' know Ottoman at all. We call the empire as " Osman Turk Impiriyesi".   

bey/beg has the same meaning, only differs in dialects we say it both. I know "bay" means "rich" also in Turkmen lang.

Godfather = Baba by us, also baba and ata means father in Turkish.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 22:56
interesting...
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 11:27

Originally posted by DayI

the father of Osman is Ertugrul begh whas an Seljukian bey/begh.

i remember reading a story about a Dream Ertugrul or his father had about the Ottoman Empire as a tree.

was it Ertugrul or his father?

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 13:12

He was osman.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2006 at 04:12

yes i checked back its a dream Osman dreamt and told it to a man whos daughter Osman wanted to marry and the man hesitated at first and after he heard the story he agreed.

Shir View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Shir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2006 at 07:45
Originally posted by DayI

bey/beg has the same meaning, only differs in dialects we say it both. I know "bay" means "rich" also in Turkmen lang.

Godfather = Baba by us, also baba and ata means father in Turkish.

Right. In Turkmen "bay" means rich, but we also have a separate word "beg", which does not mean rich. "Beg" is a title rather than a showing of how much money or property one has. Often, people were called by their first name followed by word "bay", for instance "Artyk-bay."

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 23:02

There is still speculation about the name of Osman Gazi. We know the name of this great founder from Byzantian records. And his name is written as "Uthman Beg" there. Some historians say his name could be a more Turkish name, like "Tuman Bey" or "Ataman Bey". But we believe his name was Osman. In European records the name of empire is known as "Ottoman" regard to Byzantian records.
Urungu Han View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Urungu Han Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2006 at 12:18
Osman Gazi was the Khan of Kayı Tribe,after Seljuk Empire broken.Osman Gazi created a Beylik(mini-country).İt become bigger in the time of Ertuğrul Bey,and become a country.

Osmanlı means "Sons Of Osman"

Edited by Urungu Han - 19-Jul-2006 at 12:18
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2006 at 12:33
Actually his name wasnt Osman. His real name was Atman or Odman.
Scorpius View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 18:33
I guess I found the location of Osman's grandfather's (Gazi Gunduzalp)  tomb. It seems to be in a village near Ankara, called Beypazari.

GAZI GUNDUZALP TOMB

Tomb is at a point over viewing village ways passing through large walnut trees on a hill next to Hırkatepe Village in the 20 km west of the county. It is said that he has died during a war and he had been buried here.

HISTORY OF THE VILLAGE

On this lands, we can see cultural remainings of Hitits, Frigs, Galats, Romans, Byzantiums, Seljuks and Ottomans. Beypazarı was on the way connecting Istanbul to Bagdat during Roman times and it was named as "Lagania" at those times. It was the Regional Headquarter during Byzantium times.

Then...Turks, under the command of Soultan Alparslan, came to Anatolia. So Beypazarı also met with the first Turkish warriors and became their country. The most important one was the Kayı Tribe which will govern the whole world, afterwards. The grave of Gunduzalp, grandfather of Osman Bey during Seljuks time , is in Beypazarı. Beypazarı became , a commercial center on the way of Istanbul-Bağdat, one of the warrior centers depending on the Hdavendigar (Bursa) Province, following the conquest of Ankara by Orhan Bey the horse supported soldier chief, due to and the dense commercial life it was named as BEG BAZARI (means that place where chiefs trade).(1)

Was he called as Beg or Bey?

(1) BEG BAZARI (means that place where chiefs trade).

It is possible that at that time he was called Osman Beg.

Edited by Scorpius - 20-Jul-2006 at 18:39
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 12:24
Originally posted by erkut

Actually his name wasnt Osman. His real name was Atman or Odman.

source?

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 16:00
I allways that osman was an arabic name if I'm not wrong?

I don't hear the name often for arabic or even non turkish males

Edited by xi_tujue - 21-Jul-2006 at 16:01
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 07:24
its more popular in north Africa than Arabia, and yes its arabic, the 3rd Caliph after the Prophet is Othman.
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 10:42
Osmans relatives names mostly Tukic(Shamanic) just like they were in C.Asia. Byzantians call him ass Atman. At=horse man=men Od=fire. Probably his name islamaized after his death.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 10:55
what about the 3rd calpih like azimuth said
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 12:05

Osmans relatives names mostly Tukic(Shamanic) just like they were in C.Asia. Byzantians call him ass Atman. At=horse man=men Od=fire. Probably his name islamaized after his death.

this sounds like a new theory, you did not provide us with any sources that would support what you say.

as far as i know and heard, his name is Osman and written Uthman in Arabic and the previous Turkish Alphabet before it was change to Latin not far ago.

Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 18:43

Sorry, but the word "man" is an indo-europian word, it isn't Altaic, so i doubt that this word exists in Turkish. Osman is only one word and you can't divide it in 2 or more words and build a new concept.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>