Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What does Ottoman mean?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What does Ottoman mean?
    Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 00:16
I wonder why Europeans call them Ottomans. The right expression is Osman, Otto is a german name.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 03:04

well the correct pronounciation is Uthman. ""   "th" as in "Earth"

Uthman or othman  was the name of the founder of the Ottoman empire.

i guess since European werent able to pronounce  Uthman the pronounced it ottoman.

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 03:06

I can say it for Italians ...

I guess it was the difficult for Italians to pronounce correctly Othman that originated the Italian "Ottomani". Curiously in Italian "ottomani" means literally "eight hands"

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 03:15
Originally posted by azimuth

i guess since European werent able to pronounce  Uthman the pronounced it ottoman.

The Garzanti Dictionary of Italian Language on-line (http://www.garzantilinguistica.it/interna_ita.html) says that "ottomano" derives from the Arabic  'othmani .

Turkoglu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Turkoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 06:18
in Turkish it's Osmanli 

OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 07:16

Azimoth the Turkish pronounciation of Uthman is Osman. Although as you quite correctly stated its true form is Uthman.

Osmanli Devleti = The state of Osman

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 10:52
Originally posted by azimuth

Well in Arabic, it is Uthman, true, but in Turkish, it passed as "Osman"...I believe Europeans just made a conversion of Osman to Otto and said Ottoman

It is Osmanl in Turkish, which is the same meaning with Ottoman(State of Osman,the founder of the empire),so the only difference is how Europeans call the name "Osman"

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 14:35
In Polish it is not 'Ottoman' but 'Osman'.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 14:44

Most probably, because polish people had much relation with arabs. So they used turkish type of word. Osman.

Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 16:15
I think they word passed fro mGreek to other European languages.
In greek its Οθωμανοι- O-tho-man-oi .
Many western europeans cannot pronounce "th" or simply avoid it.so it turned to "t".
Its most probable that it passed from Greeks,because they first came in contact with Ottomans and Turks in general,and they migrated (many scholars among them) to the west after the fall of the Empire.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 16:32
in German its also called Osmanisch
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 20:37
Originally posted by Temujin

in German its also called Osmanisch
yeah, here in belgium is it similar "osmaanse rijk" but they also say "Ottomaanse rijk".
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 22:20
Greeks say οθωμανική αυτοκρατορ ία (othomaniki autokratia) for Ottoman Empire. Othoman seems closer to Uthman, being ottomano the Italian version, otomano the Castilian and Portuguese one, otom the Catalan one and ottoman the French and (capitalized) English ones.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Moustafa Pasha View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Moustafa Pasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 16:17
Ottoman in western countries is a bastardized word for Osmanli in Turkish and it relates to Osman Bey the founder of the Osmanli   Imperial Dynasty in 1299.

Edited by Moustafa Pasha
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 16:04
In Albanian, the term popularized today is otoman but many use a different Osman. I always believed it from a certain tribe...
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 10:50

Name of that tribe is "Kay". But I am not sure, If we should call themself as builders of ottoman empire, It had only 400 house.

Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 21:56
Now Im rather interested.

The character of Osman must be heavily steeped in myth and tradition. But is there any real info on him? Also, what are some mytholical tales? Is he historically well established or does it have a Romulus ring to it?
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 22:58
Is there any thread on the Kayi, i hear of them they came over in  400 tents whatever that measuremnet actaully means in head count. was it Osman that drowned crossing a river?
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 07:49

I found an essay on Ertugrul Bey, the father of Osman. It has some info on the Kayi tribe:

http://www.byegm.gov.tr/yayinlarimiz/NEWSPOT/2002/may-jun/n7 .htm

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 09:55
kotumeyil your always helpful. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>