Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Accurate appearance of famous ancient people

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
R_AK47 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote R_AK47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accurate appearance of famous ancient people
    Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 19:17

The technology now exists that enables scientists to analyse the skulls and bones of dead people and reconstruct their facial features.  Does anyone know of any online sources concerning the reconstruction of famous historical figures?  I watched a show on tv the other day where they reconstructed the face of Saint Nicholas.  Just wondering what other famous faces they have reconstructed or are considering reconstructing.  It would be interesting to see how the modern reconstructions compare to old paintings, statues, and written descriptions of these peoples appearance.

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 03:33

Here you can find the facial reconstruction from the skull of the famous astronomer Copernicus:

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/imgpop.php?id=30174&in dex=0

A portrait:

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 03:39

i know from a the skull they can reconstruct the face (mainly the nose)

but how do they know if he died fat or skinny from his skull?!

and the color of his skin and eyes and hair

or these are just assumptions?.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 04:20
Well variations in skull shapes amoungst humans do corrispond to a degree with geograpy, so if you have someone who's skull shape is highly highly similar to the people of Scandinavia, then you can assume the same or at least very similar skin tones, and take a gamble on the odds the hair being this or that.
Its not a 100% job though.

Fat is another thing though of course, though i guess it would be possible to tell from the skeleton if the person was overwieght for a significant part of their life.

Arrrgh!!"
R_AK47 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote R_AK47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 22:13
Yes, this is the sort of stuff I was talking about.  Does anyone know of any others that have been done or are planned being done?
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 12:28
Here's the facial reconstruction from the skull of King Tut. I recently went to the King Tut exhibition in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and it was truly amazing.

Source: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/05/0511_050511_ kingtutface_2.html
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
mgdpublic View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote mgdpublic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 17:02
Prag and Neave were the pioneers of facial reconstruction.  They wrote a book about they're work:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0890967849/102-5770815-7998 539?v=glance&n=283155

I think they took a stab at Agamemnon,  Phillip II of Macedon, some Etruscan chick, etc..

Wrageowrapper View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Wrageowrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 20:01
There used to be a BBC series about this, cant quite remember what it was called but I know the dvds exist somewhere, something like faces of the past or something. 
Nuenonne Palawa-kani wrageowrapper.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 18:42
Anfører
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 03:16

Hi my first post here.

The thing is that descriptions are a very difficult thing to get a good idea from. Words like dark, light and tall do not really mean much do they? After all it is all reletive. And with Kings and leaders well the portriats and busts were ment to flatter were'nt they rather than capture the "likeness."

Someone mentioned skin color. Well its an  interesting topic for sure, not to mention a controversial one. It was Coon, I think who said that skin color was the "least reliable source of racial classification." I suppose you would take the average skin tone of the people in that area of that time. But the fact is that would it be reliable in places where skin tone varies immesly, like the Middle East or the Sub-Continent, or today Latin America?

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 06:29
Skulls can tell alot about facial features and skull shapes combined with that can trace someone to quite a specific geographical area, Its possible to tell Irish from Germans and Punjabis from Tamils this way, though never 100% accurate. You just take an average of the people in that geograpical area with the same or hightly similar skull/facial features. So you get the wrong shade of medium olive, not a big deal.
The Americas would the place that poses the biggest challenge when trying to guess the tone of people who's skull suggest they are say half European half African, but again, you can take an average from people who are of that same basic ancestrial mix and get a most likely guestimate.
The more generations of intermixing and with various amerindian and even Asians (many Japanese and Koreans migrated to Brazil the US in particular in the 1800s), the more complicated it gets, but also the closer to the present making it easy to compare with living close relatives. The further back in time you go, the less intermixing, and this the easier it becomes.

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 08:17
Copernicus looks like my Grand Uncle almost exactly.  Same hooked nose, same skin color and the person is at the same age. I am a trainee lawyer by profession and I have seen cases where the forensics dept gotten not only the features but the gender and race wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply