Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who were ancestors of Germanic tribes and where did they come fr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who were ancestors of Germanic tribes and where did they come fr
    Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 05:23
Originally posted by Boreaz

Socrates,

It would be very nice if you got the time and the capability to actually READ what I AM writing - before you continue blessing us with your ingenious enligthenments. Especially since you seem to be focused on NOT to misread, misjudge and misintepret any data.

I read most of your ''writings''.Don't u think it's strange that nobody seems to agree with you?It can mean only two things.U figure out which.And what ingenious enlightments are u talking about?I'm not the one creating  ''out of space'' theories.

But, before you re-start your creative genious - please clarify this;

1. Is the term "Caucasian People" a mere fantasy?

2.  Is the term "Modern Man" a completly bogus Norwegian invetion?

3.  From Finns, Germans and Britts; who are and who are NOT part of the said categories 1. "Caucasian"  2. "Modern man"?

I hope that doesn't appear to complex or complicated for our respected Master Socrates to reflect upon.

I'm not very creative-nor genius...

1. No it's not.But what has that got to do with anything? Caucasian people are white people:Nordics, mediteranians, dinarics, alpines,armenoids...I don't see your point - maybe it's due to my ''limited comprehension abilities''

2.Why would it be a ''completly bogus Norwegian invetion''?I never said anything of that kind.

3.Yes,  Finns, Germans and Britts are definetely "parts of those categories'' - caucasians and modern men.I didn't claim otherwise.However, according to your logics,brits are also similar to us serbs, or greeks, bulgarians, slovaks,armenians,etc-since all of these peoples are definetely ''caucasians'' and ''modern men''.It's like saying chinese and french are similar because they're both homo sapiens.It's understood-it goes by without saying.And you should read what Maju posted about brits-overall, they're not very similar to other europeans-they're a mixture of all kinds of caucasian sub-races-nordics (all possible subtypes), dinarics, meditarenians, atlanto-meditarenians, even armenoids...

And yes- it does appear too complicated to Socrates.And Socrates isn't a master- nor will he ever be.

PS; What more than history are you thinking of when you refer to "Norwegian inventions - too".

I'm not sure i understand your question.I was refering to pseudo-historians who are re-writing history as they please, with no objective evidence.It's a common practice in a great no. of countries, all over the world.I certainly didn't say "Norwegian inventions - too"- so i'm asking u not to misquote me.I was nearly surprised that people of your views of history exist in norway-since the norwegians appear to me as calm and not particulary interested in ,as i called it ''inventing history''- which could be interpreted as ''creating fictional history''.

"It's better to be a billionair for a lifetime then to live in poverty for a week"
               Bob Rock
Boreaz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Boreaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 21:46

Originally posted by Socrates

1. Btw, i didn't know norwegians are into ''inventing'' history, too...

2. I certainly didn't say "Norwegian inventions - too"- so i'm asking u not to misquote me.

Misc.:

I read most of your ''writings''.

I'm not sure i understand your question.

i called it ''inventing history''- which could be interpreted as ''creating fictional history''.

I'm not the one creating  ''out of space'' theories.

I'm not very creative-nor genius...

Caucasian people are white people:Nordics, mediteranians, dinarics, alpines,armenoids...

I don't see your point - maybe it's due to my ''limited comprehension abilities''

Well done, Master. Your precise specifications, razor-sharp objectivity and flawless understanding have really made us aware of the genuine discrepancy between the chronology of space and the velocity of time.  You r unique contribution of new data and consequent arguments are truly gratified with an eloquent sense of due language - even  though you seem somewhat emotionally upset by the row of discoveries and results I have reffered to. Thus I can't wait to get your psychological explanation on how the "Red Paint People" came into existance - as a result of my vivid imagination and cheuvinistic fantasy.

Congratulations Sir,  Xantippe must be proud of you.    

Edited by Boreaz
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 04:31

This is beyond my comprehension.U still havent given any credentials to your claims or discredited any of mine (or anyone else ).U somehow feel threatened when people dont agree with you, and when they give you some proof, u turn to mocking, low insults and somekind of primitive form of cynicismWell, I certainly shall no longer participate this weird and pointless discussion.

Edited by Socrates
"It's better to be a billionair for a lifetime then to live in poverty for a week"
               Bob Rock
Boreaz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Boreaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 06:34
Originally posted by Socrates

This is beyond my comprehension.U still havent given any credentials to your claims or discredited any of mine (or anyone else ).U somehow feel threatened when people dont agree with you, and when they give you some proof, u turn to mocking, low insults and somekind of primitive form of cynicismWell, I certainly shall no longer participate this weird and pointless discussion.

Well spoken, Socrates - describing your own mocking, inuendos and primitive form of cynism. I am sorry you feel threatened by the proves given over the last 7 pages. I am also sorry to say I havent seen ONE single proof presented by you, as of yet. Moreover you refuse to relate to the FACTS presented, too.

Your last point was good though. There is no point in you ranting about these discoveries - or my comments on them - until you have given yourself ample time to comprehend and assess the presented material. 

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 08:22
Since you both agree that there's no point in continuing this discussion, then please stop here. If you need to take this further do is via private Messaging, no need to kill the thread.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Boreaz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Boreaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 12:58

More evidences of the Red Paint People - and the possible origins of the North- European cultures, presented by reknown professionals...

http://www.britarch.ac.uk/ba/ba61/feat3.shtml

http://www.britarch.ac.uk/ba/ba61/news.shtml#item1

Edited by Boreaz
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2006 at 20:18
Let me get this conventional wisdom straight. 
1) IE's evolved right next to Mongols in Central Asia but look nothing like each other.
2) IE's somehow developed blonde hair before going to N. Europe.  I'm sure polar bears and arctic wolves also developed white fur before they migrated north as well.
3) Cro-Magnons and other advanced men's bones are far older that are found in Europe then anywhere else but the IE invasions came from Asia.
4) The show stopper: modern man came from Africa 76,000 years ago.  Why not from China?  Homo Erectus has been in China for over a million years, maybe 2.  Surely time enough to evolve into modern man and come on over to Europe.

Boreaz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Boreaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2006 at 11:35
It goes without saying that the IE and the Chinese - had to construct one enormous wall - to avoid the Peking-men from talking to the proto-IE.  As they were kept in complete separatation by these bricks they could impossibly been evolving other than in complete separation, which the present genetics and language clearly proves.  Yoodeldee, yoodledum - here's a shaman with a drum.
Boreasi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Boreasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 02:02
Be good or be gone.
Boreasi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Boreasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 02:52
In 1956, Marija Gimbutas introduced her Kurgan hypothesis combining archaelogy with linguistics to locate the origins of the Proto-Indo-European speaking peoples. She tentatively named the set of cultures in question "Kurgan" after the Russian term for their distinctive burial mounds and traced their diffusion into Europe.

This hypothesis has had a significant impact on Indo-European research. Those scholars who follow Gimbutas identify a Kurgan or Pit Grave Culture as reflecting an early Proto-Indo-European ethnicity which existed in the Pontic steppe and southeastern Europe from the fifth to the third millennia BCE.

Gimbutas later amended her hypothesis with the identification of the Ubaidians as the Dnieper Donets Culture, a Baltic people who moved south, following the Dnieper river toward the Crimea when sea levels began to rise around the Baltic. These were the Proto-Indo-Europeans who settled in Urheimat, the Indo-European homeland, where they remained until the Black Sea flood around 5600 BCE. Gimbutas writes that the Dnieper Donets people were descendants of Paleolithic Cro-Magnon man. Their pottery is related to the Baltic Memel Culture and their burial practices are similar to those found at Zvejnieki, the largest and oldest cemetery in all of northern Europe, which is dated to the Mesolithic prehistoric period between 7000 and 5000 BCE.

Gimbutas also believed that the Mesopotamian Sumerians and Samarians were the same people as the Cimmeri, an Indo-European tribal name whose root can be found in the Latvian word for Northerners, Ziemeli. She points to parallels in pottery design and burial customs from the Baltic, Boian, Dnieper, Sumerian, and Pre-dynastic Nile cultures as proof of the link.

From 6800 to 5600 BCE, a relatively uniform culture of hunters and fishers extended from the western Baltic to southwestern Finland. Hunters and fishers living in small groups on the banks of streams and lakes remained in the Baltic to hunt elk, the most predominant faunal type of this period. The ancient burial site at Zvejnieki dates from this period and reflects burial customs similar to those at least 23000 years older along the range inhabited by these same people. From the massivity of the bones excavated at Zvejnieki, it can be concluded that these Cro-Magnons were the same Scandinavian type found in the Maglemose and Ertebeles cultures.

Between 6000 and 4800 BCE, similar anthropological types populated the Upper Volga, the Upper Oka, and were found in the Dnieper / Donetz culture of the Ukraine, suggesting that the direction of cultural migration may originally have been from the west and north to south - not vice-versa.

Breidaks, in his study, Concerning the Parallels Between Baltic and Ancient Languages, published in 1977, noted parallels between the Baltic languages and the ancient Balkan languages,
"A number of Baltic terms for bodies of water (especially rivers) stem from the most ancient stratum of Indo-European hydronymy. These terms occupy an important position for resolution of questions regarding the pre-history of Indo-European peoples, including their mutual relations, their place of origin, their ancient migrations, etc.

"In the last several decades, it has been frequently noted in linguistic writings that Baltic toponymy in many respects embraces the ambit of Central Europe... particularly... to the relation between Baltic and Illyrian (as well as to the Eastern neighbors of the latter, the Thracians and Dacians)...the archaeologist T. Sulimirski and the linguists I. Duridanov and W. Porzig are of the opinion that the Baltic, Thracian and Dacian peoples were long neighbors to each other in the pre-Christian era."

While the Basques belong to the group which inhabited Europe, the group is known as Aquitanian. Their language was spoken in ancient Aquitaine between the Pyrenees and the Garonne before the Roman conquest. Archaeological, toponymical and historical evidence suggest that it was a dialect or group of dialects related to the Basque language.

Be good or be gone.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 09:25

I think we should not pay great credit to the theories of Mrs. Gimbutas.

I know surely that she is a nationalistic dreamer. She is Litunianian and due the cultural connections between Lituania and Romania, she attributed to Romania the role of Origin of All World Civilizationss which surely is not true.

Boreasi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Boreasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 21:59

According to Professor Hawks (see above) present studies of the Eurasian sites - from the paleolittic and mesolittic periods - clearly indicates that "modern man" migrated into Eurasia during the end of ice-time - from the north...!

Thus the imediate relevance to this topic.

At this point in time it's darn sure that - so far - nothing is for sure... Exclamation

Edited by Boreasi - 26-Sep-2006 at 22:11
Be good or be gone.
Boreasi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Boreasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 21:49

News about the Sami origin;

A recent genetic link between Sami and the Volga-Ural region of Russia

Max Ingman1,2 and Ulf Gyllensten1

1. 1Department of Genetics and Pathology, Rudbeck Laboratory, University of Uppsala, Uppsala, Sweden
  2. 2Centre for Integrative Genomics, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland

Correspondence: Professor U Gyllensten, Department of Genetics and Pathology, Rudbeck Laboratory, University of Uppsala, Uppsala 75185, Sweden. Tel: +46 18 471 49 09; Fax: +46 18 471 49 31; E-mail: ulf.gyllensten@genpat.uu.se

Received 14 March 2006; Revised 11 July 2006; Accepted 2 August 2006; Published online 20 September 2006.

Top of page

Abstract

The genetic origin of the Sami is enigmatic and contributions from Continental Europe, Eastern Europe and Asia have been proposed. To address the evolutionary history of northern and southern Swedish Sami, we have studied their mtDNA haplogroup frequencies and complete mtDNA genome sequences. While the majority of mtDNA diversity in the northern Swedish, Norwegian and Finnish Sami is accounted for by haplogroups V and U5b1b1, the southern Swedish Sami have other haplogroups and a frequency distribution similar to that of the Continental European population. Stratification of the southern Sami on the basis of occupation indicates that this is the result of recent admixture with the Swedish population. The divergence time for the Sami haplogroup V sequences is 7600 YBP (years before present), and for U5b1b1, 5500 YBP amongst Sami and 6600 YBP amongst Sami and Finns. This suggests an arrival in the region soon after the retreat of the glacial ice, either by way of Continental Europe and/or the Volga-Ural region. Haplogroup Z is found at low frequency in the Sami and Northern Asian populations but is virtually absent in Europe. Several conserved substitutions group the Sami Z lineages strongly with those from Finland and the Volga-Ural region of Russia, but distinguish them from Northeast Asian representatives. This suggests that some Sami lineages shared a common ancestor with lineages from the Volga-Ural region as recently as 2700 years ago, indicative of a more recent contribution of people from the Volga-Ural region to the Sami population.

European Journal of Human Genetics advance online publication 20 September 2006; doi: 10.1038/sj.ejhg.5201712
Be good or be gone.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 13:22
I am always wondering why you ask for Germanic ancestors and then you'll come to the palaeolithic times, to neanderthalers and so on. And the genetics, well, if people really think their is a typical germanic gene they are wrong. The Germanics did not come from one nucleus, they developed from different groups in Danmark and northern Germany. In the south there was a border to the celts. It is difficult to say when the Germanics developed themselves. Some say in bronze age, some earlier, some later. Their name 'Germanic' was given by Cesar. But he saw them as non-celtic or non-gaulic tribes. But he also called tribes in eastern gaul as Germanic, so the Treveri and parts of the Belgae. In Germany and Danmark we have two cultures in the early iron age. The Harpstedt-Nienburger-Kultur and the Jastorf-Kultur. In Skandinavia and parts of Danmark there was another one. In former eastern Germany and Poland there it was the Gesichtsurnenkultur and in the centuries BC the Oksywie- and Przeworsk-Kultur and with the beginning of AC the Wielbark-Kultur. If we say the first Germanics were the ancestors of all these culture it could be possible we are reaching the first Germanic. But is this right? Than we come to the early bronze Age or to the Neolithics. This is probably not correct. It is better we think the germanic growing as an effect of the difference to the celtic nations of La-Tene perhaps of the Hallstatt people. That means non-celtic tribes in the north started about 600 BC to get a common feeling of being different to the celts. I'm sorry for my bad english. I try to refresh it. I hope I wrote my meanings in a way you can understand it.
Stallonpesä View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Stallonpesä Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2010 at 21:35
When the ice retired in Europe about 10,000 years ago, several paleolithic and mesolithic groups mixed in the nordic areas.

The idea that there are distinct groups of people historically doesnt seem to be correct at all (only with a few exceptions).

The idea that swedes and norwegians and danish are of the same, near ancestry is not correct. Swedes have a closer genetic relation to estonians and the finns. Danish are europeans.

Norwegians in east and central parts have the closest genetic relations to the polish (Poland). Only the southwest norwegians are close to dutch, danish and british in genetic relations.

Take a look at the Genographic website.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Stallonpesä Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2010 at 21:47
..And: The development of cultures happened much later in nordic history then in other parts of the world. This was because the nordic areas still resided in a "Stone age", when the ice really started to melt about 12000 years ago.

Germanic and also finno-ugric languages developed in Scandinavia and Europe quite late in human history -at a point in time where Europe had been inhabited for quite a while.

The cultural features today and in the near past tell nothing or little about genetic heritage. This is because cultural mixes and changes don´t follow biological heritage - it only might do so.

The genetic markers detected in nordic and baltic populations are:

K, U , U5, m253, m231, Z,  p37 2.  Some of these markers are also found in large parts of the world.

Most probably, the cultural development in the north of Europe came a long while after the coming/migration of quite many small groups of people venturing into the northern plains created by the melting of ice-caps.

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Stallonpesä Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2010 at 21:51
So: (3) The question of "who were the ancestors of germanic groups" is really a pointless question.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2010 at 12:53
Dear Stallonpesa! Sorry I don't know how to place your screen name without copy and pasting!

I have but a few questions about your posts!

Did you really read and evaluate the numerous posts that preceeded yours?

Heck, a pretty good book could be written based just upon all of those great posts!

For myself, I merely consider "Germans" as "germain!", or "related!"
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2011 at 03:10
For me they were Persian mercenaries that had inhabited those territories and mixed with natives.How did they come here would have been complex question for answering!?!Germans are biggest enigma inside my
history book. 
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2011 at 20:21
How did all these people get divided?   Were they always different groups, or at sometime were they all part of the migration from Africa?  How important are the differences?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>