Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Iran Iraq war, Which country lost more ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iran Iraq war, Which country lost more ?
    Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 09:27

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 12:52

I believe it was Iraq who lost more...The reasons are:

1- Iran has 3 times more population than Iraq, and did use a tactic called "human wave", using her huge population and sacrificing the people, even women and children, but Iraq had invested in technology, and paid a lot to use technological weapons bought from USA and Europe,and even Soviet Union..Therefore, fell into a great amount debt pit after the war...Iran was more likely to compensate, but Iraq wasn't able to compensate the debts.

2-The Gulf War, which definitely weakened Iraq with all its aspects, occurred due to the results of Iran-Iraq War.Kuwait refused to delay put off the Iraqi debts and Iraq invaded.

3-The fractions in Iraq, like the Shiites or Kurds got more restless after the war due to instability that the long-lasting war had caused.

4-The Sunni Muslim countries who had egged Iraq on to get rid of the radical Shiite danger of Iran had deserted Iraq after the war, of course by requesting what they had given to Iraq during the war

5-One thing to be mentioned is that both sides getting definitely NOTHING at the end of the war...Neither sides gained anything and lost a lot, so it is a war that didn't give any profit to any sides.The winner of that war was definitely the countries who had the most benefit out of this war was the countries who sold weapons and equipment to those countries and some Sunni Muslim countries who supported Iraq and reached their aim of weakening Iran at least for a bit and a while.

Edited by Kapikulu
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 12:55
Iran was foolish... but what more can be expected from an army that was led my warrior mullahs.  when we kicked them out of Iranian soil we should ahev just played defensive tactics, accepted the truce offered in 1982 and reorganised the army, while much of its hi-tech infrastructure was still intact and armed to the teeth.
Mameluke View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Mameluke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 19:37

I remember reading that out of the 700,000 dead (approximate figure) in the Persian Gulf War, 400,000 were Iraqis (again approximate figure). I cannot remember the source, sorry, and of course it dose not include wounded, missing and prisoners.

Mameluke

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 20:01
aweful war, the only losers were the people of Iran and Iraq, and the winners at the end were the Mullahs.
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 20:49

both countries lost a lot, but here is why iran lost more, yet still managed to bring about a stalemate:

1) the whole of teh western world supported iraq with weapons (chemical and biological), money, logistics, training, satellite imagery, and by using their navies (USA) of keeping iran from manuevering in the Persian Gulf. the Arab world funded iraq with billions of dollars.

2) Iran, with no allies and barely any help, had to resort to some drastic measures, using its population.

3) after the revolution, iran had disbanded the army, and the mullahs had executed many generals and soldiers.

All i can say is thank God that the shah stockpiled so many US weapons before the revolution. with out those, iran would have definetly lost.

iran had more casualties and infrastructural damage, therefore it lost more in the short run, but iraq lost more in the long run due to their debt.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Perspolis View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Perspolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 14:51
I can say Iran lost more people. a lot of countries helped iraq during the war, but iran was almost alone.
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 15:27
Originally posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran-Iraq_War

It has been called "the longest conventional warfare of the 20th century", and cost 1 million casualties and US$1.19 trillion.

People were main loser,specially people of Halabche, Khoramshar, Abadan, Pave, Sardasht, Ghasre Shirin, Dezful,...

Edited by Land of Aryan
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 21:29

Originally posted by Zagros

aweful war, the only losers were the people of Iran and Iraq, and the winners at the end were the Mullahs.

Definitely...Mullahs strengthened their regime due to war...People of Iran had to consider about the Iraqi threat of invasion instead of regime, and by that way, Mullahs' regime strengthened.

we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 21:31

Originally posted by Perspolis

I can say Iran lost more people. a lot of countries helped iraq during the war, but iran was almost alone.

It was more because of Iran's tactic of "human wave",sending even women and children to the front to form huge numbers in the fight.That's why Iranian casualties were more.

The help of those "a lot" of countries to Iraq later was costly for Iraq,showing its effects till today. 

we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 22:07
Originally posted by Kapikulu

Definitely...Mullahs strengthened their regime due to war...People of Iran had to consider about the Iraqi threat of invasion instead of regime, and by that way, Mullahs' regime strengthened.

Saddam was retarded in that when he invaded he declared that he was going to annex Khuzestan and didn't lie and say he wanted to depose the mullahs.  Immediately all Iranians united to defend the nation, when Saddam could have caused old regime loyalists to join him in his campaign to depose the mullahs.  They would have noticed his duplicity only when it was too late.

Member of IAEA
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 22:23

It was more because of Iran's tactic of "human wave",sending even women and children to the front to form huge numbers in the fight.That's why Iranian casualties were more.

first of all, women were never used in these human wave attacks, however children under the age of 18 (probably 15-18, supposedly volunteers, accompanied by older men ofcourse) were used in human wave attacks.

i dont even think women were used as soldiers at the time.

but this  was all due to the fact that iran didnt have the support, help, and technology iraq was given.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 22:25
Originally posted by Genghis

Saddam was retarded in that when he invaded he declared that he was going to annex Khuzestan and didn't lie and say he wanted to depose the mullahs.  Immediately all Iranians united to defend the nation, when Saddam could have caused old regime loyalists to join him in his campaign to depose the mullahs.  They would have noticed his duplicity only when it was too late.

no, iranians would have fought to death for the regime in 1980.

the anti regime sentiments started after the war. and iranians would have defended their country no matter what, whether it be fighting for the mullahs or whoever else. iranians dont like their country being invaded.

even today, all the anti mullah spokesman that want the US to invade iran are considered traitors in iran by the public. that is the same reason why the MKO followers are considered traitors.

Edited by prsn41ife
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 08:24

I understand ur hatred for the mullahs but to blame everything on the mullahs is a bit extreme. Did the mullahs start the war? who did the mullah fight to win? It is about the war. If there was a power vacuum that only the mullahs could fill then y blame them for doing so.

What do u think is happening in Iraq, power vacuum and <---mullahs in power.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 13:28
Originally posted by prsn41ife

the anti regime sentiments started after the war. and iranians would have defended their country no matter what, whether it be fighting for the mullahs or whoever else. iranians dont like their country being invaded.

even today, all the anti mullah spokesman that want the US to invade iran are considered traitors in iran by the public. that is the same reason why the MKO followers are considered traitors.

A lot of the common people would have fought to the death, no doubt, but a few traitors in high places would have helped Saddam a great deal.

Member of IAEA
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 13:51

A lot of the common people would have fought to the death, no doubt, but a few traitors in high places would have helped Saddam a great deal.

they did, they are called the MKO, the most hated people in iran. if you ask the general public about what they think of the MKO (traitor pigs!!!) they would say that they need to be killed!

the MKO are the most hated in iran because they betrayed iran in its time of most need.

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 15:11

first of all, women were never used in these human wave attacks, however children under the age of 18 (probably 15-18, supposedly volunteers, accompanied by older men ofcourse) were used in human wave attacks.

i dont even think women were used as soldiers at the time.

but this  was all due to the fact that iran didnt have the support, help, and technology iraq was given.

According to what I know, women were used in the frontline. My source is a famous Turkish political history professor, Fahir Armaoglu, who had made his doctorate at Harvard University,but of course, that doesn't mean every stuff he says is true

we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 15:20

There wer female brigades but they were not on teh front lines.

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 16:43

Iran certainly paid a much higher price for the war, but in military terms, it was also a clear victory for Iran. Iraq did not achieve any of its stated objectives, and in fact was put into the position of defending their own territory at one point. Iran, on the other hand, fulfilled all of the objectives of any defender: to retain ownership of their land, drive the war back onto the enemy's territory, and punish the attacker. They also established their reputation for defence, while Iraq only established the fact that even given a technological advantage its forces were not capable of succesful aggression against comparable powers.

A pyrrhic victory to be sure, but clearly a victory for Iran nonetheless.

Renegade View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Renegade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 22:20
I believe its a tie for both knowing that Iran lost numerically and Iraq lost militarily. But the huge help by world powers did make Iraq more of a force in the Gulf War after.
"I kill a few so that many may live."

- Sam Fisher
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>