Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Complaint to a local newspaper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Complaint to a local newspaper
    Posted: 02-Nov-2004 at 10:50
-

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2004 at 12:22
wow, is this guy a local?
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2004 at 12:37
-

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2004 at 20:36

He honestly believes that the pyramids have no architectural merit?

But a WalMart does?

Now that's scary!  And incredibly hard to believe.

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2004 at 20:45
I agree with Jalisco, those pyramids are a great historical, cultural, and architectural treasure.
Member of IAEA
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2004 at 03:03

He's probably hoping that Walmart will do a booming business in selling sun block and bad hats to the tourists.  And little hammers for the tourists who want to chip off a piece of the pyramids to take home.  And zip-loc plastic bags to carry the chips in.  The really lazy tourists can buy their archaeology chips in the special, air conditioned "selling our patrimony" department of the store.  When the tourists have chipped the pyramids away, then they can use the land to build condos and time shares that look like Teotihuacan.  In the aerial photo I can see perfect locations for the Pool and tennis courts. 

All you'll need then is an onsite MacDonalds and an ice cream/coffe shop at the top of the largest pyramid.

Have you forwarded his comments to the Ministry of Culture or whoever it is that is responsible for protecting and maintaining the site?  I'm sure that both they and UNESCO would be interested to know that the site that they have worked so hard to protect has no architectural merit.

Someone should also perhaps point out to him (politely of course) that while controversy does sell newspapers, stupidity doesn't.

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2004 at 04:40

Or perhaps the newspaper or the journalist (journalist my arse!) is on the payrol of some investment company with interests in the region.

As they say in detective books: "find the motive and you will find the murderer"

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2004 at 04:45
Hmm, then i suppose the old "Journalists are interlectual whores" adage is true
Arrrgh!!"
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2004 at 19:47

This is ridiculous, a Wal-Mart conveys more cultural achievement than ancient pyramids. You really should rip into this guy.

On a side note South Park just aired an episode that showed how wal-mart is taking over the world.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2004 at 21:35
Soon the bastards will want to put a Starbucks on top of all of them, so people can buy their sh*tty, overly-roasted, and overly-priced coffee.
Member of IAEA
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2004 at 00:01
-

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2004 at 09:08

I read in our local paper that the Wal-Mart there had opened despite the sizeable protests.

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 15:57
They do sorta look like little hills, though.

I personally find the whole thing a disgrace. It would be as if Disney wanted to build an amusement park in Colonial Williamsburg, in the US...

vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 17:47
Hugo - I am guessing that you haven't heard about the Civil War Battlefields Theme Park proposal?
In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 11:12
Originally posted by vagabond

Hugo - I am guessing that you haven't heard about the Civil War Battlefields Theme Park proposal?

That's not the weirest plan. In Lithuania a Soviet camp has been rebuilt to 'Stalinland', a soviet-style Theme Park.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 13:58
Stalinland, you enter the park and have so much fun you don't want to leave...oh, and because your not allowed to.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 18:50
Stalinland. talk about poor taste. It really makes you think about ill-conceived themed parks. Here are two:

Genocide-landia: ride rollercoasters named after famous, multicultural genocide campaigns from all around the world.

Serial Killer World: Eat cotton candy as you meet Jeffry Dahmer, Ted Bundy, and Jack the Ripper. Located in Washington State, U.S.

To Vagabond: You got the reference, Vagabond . I was going to put a smiley after the dots, but coworkers got close, and I sent the post before bringing up my handy excel worksheet.
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 23:54
-

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 11:14

Although she was sorta cute when she was in school, though. So what is her ideology now? Still leftist?

What happened to that newspaper?
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 11:27
Change the cute line. She wasn't. I was confusing her with another person.
 Post Reply Post Reply