Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Martial Law Declared as Nearly 150 Die in China NYTIMES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martial Law Declared as Nearly 150 Die in China NYTIMES
    Posted: 07-Nov-2004 at 21:12
Originally posted by sephodwyrm

Well, friend hansioux, you sound like those type of people who would love to see China in a major civil unrest in which more people would get killed.

Just realize this and perhaps you will start to look at this from a different prespective. If China's internal problems start to boil over, China would then seek some form of action to divert the attention of the major populace. Attacking Taiwan would seem even more justified.

Uh oh!  I heard the T word...y'all know what that means..another locked forum...
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2004 at 00:14

ok boys good job on not freaking out in a heated debate yet but dont do it again or I will lock th thread. 

I also have to agree tha media coverage hurts no one except for people in power perhaps that made embarrassing mistakes.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2004 at 01:08
Hey sephodwyrm

you wrote, "You accuse of me trivializing death. Doesn't that make you as accusing as babyblue, but from another standpoint?"

I'm certainly accusing you of something.  I wasn't critiquing babyblue for being accusative, but for trivializing death.

you wrote, "What do you expect the CCP to do?"

I don't understand why you bring this up.  I didn't accuse CCP for anything.  racial tension is a social reality.  I didn't say the CCP isn't dealing with it.  I didn't make one comment about CCP trying to cover up anything.  I was only concerned that you are reacting to someone merely reporting it.

Peace,

Michael

11-7-2004

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 04:11

Well, it is exactly that reason why I don't want to see China in civil unrest.  But covering up the truth about civil unrest will only make it worse.  I am glad to see China now acknowleges the problem.  For example President Hu saying the people being forced to move will not have their conpensation delayed anymore and will move to better areas. 

However, must always coming major riots before the CCP government do something to resolve the problem?  If that is the case, major civil unrest are lined up to happen.

I hope you don't see talking about the problems as attacking your country.  It is true that I have no love for your government, but I have love for humanity.

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
sephodwyrm View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 11:21

You have no love for my government? Great. That's what I wanna hear. The DPP is a bloody incumbent party of liars who have no real concern about the welfare of the Taiwanese people. The opposition is still powerful enough to prevent a single party dictatorship, though, which gives me some form of respite.

The issue about Taiwan is not about independence, though the DPP would have you think otherwise. I actually treat this news as a provocating article designed to drive wedges between the Chinese people. Unrests are definitely bound to happen since everything's happening so fast in China, and China is not a small island like Taiwan. We have our share of certain unrests and demonstrations about the 319 incident. The world is calling our election fraudulous and a big joke. We had an occassion in which several kidnappers managed to escape from an encirclement by over 300 armed policemen. What joke is this? We also bowed to every wish of the last one of them and gave him a final audience with his wife etc when he demanded it. In China things are getting done. In Taiwan we're still arguing about things and throwing cups at each other. I would not be too surprised if 5 years down the row WSR are getting bashed by BSR. But hey, at least these labellers still refer to Taiwan as a Sheng and not a country.

People in Taiwan are really smart but lack wisdom, which makes them into some of the scariest and most moronic. Look at our department of foreign affairs. I can already foresee some positive futures in Taiwan getting increased diplomatic isolation. And really, we're just a pawn of the US military industrial complex. And yes, you might call me a Chi-Com sympathizer. But unlike most other so-called Taiwanese here I only have the ROC passport.

"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them"
"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 12:13

You have no love for my government? Great. That's what I wanna hear. The DPP is a bloody incumbent party of liars who have no real concern about the welfare of the Taiwanese people. The opposition is still powerful enough to prevent a single party dictatorship, though, which gives me some form of respite.

hahahaha....chap..

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 18:58

What does having only a Taiwanese passport prove?

I also only have Taiwanese passport does that make what I say equally valid as yours in your mind?  I can never figure out logic like that.  Anyway.

Dislike of the CCP government is not a DPP creation i am afraid.  It is 50 years over KMT brain washing.  I am not much for the KMT brain wash, so my dislike of CCP government (notice, I never once said it's your government, you are the one that said so) is not from any political conditionning.  I simply don't like any government who's against free press and covers up the dismay of its people.

If the Taiwanese government covers up riots in any part of Taiwan, I would dislike the Taiwanese government.  It's that simple.  Therefore I disliked the KMT government because that's what they did for a long time until Lee Deng-Hui became president.

So spare me of all the you have no wisdom because you don't like China stuff.  A nation should be able to make their own judgements for their future as long as it doesn't involve invading others.

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 00:41
WHy are east Asians the most contentious people on this forum?  Always seem so much more polite in person...
-Alexander Hamilton
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 00:53
    hansioux i think you misunderstood chap here..
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 14:15

I don't know about this Hansioux. I didn't mention the CCP at all and then he directly assumes that disliking the CCP is what I'm getting at. I am saying that I dislike the DPP. Whether or not I like the CCP or not is relatively undisclosed.

Lol. The more I think about it the more I blame the English tuition classes in Taiwan. I said that I dislike the DPP and that I'm citizen of ROC. He then says that he's also a citizen of ROC and that disliking the CCP is not a DPP creation but a KMT creation (what the hell? how has this got to do with my last reply?). True. KMT told people to save our siblings suffering in China. DPP just equated CCP with the Chinese people. That's their addition to it. I know that disliking a political party is OK, but disliking people is racism.

In my little logic, disliking China is akin to disliking your own ancestry. You can dislike the CCP because they're a political party. But disliking a nation composed of your relatives? That's treason.

"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 15:15

Let's settle everything with a war. I know you dun want a war. Neither do I. But because of DDP, war is the only logical result.

Invading others is different from invading an internal province of Taiwan.

Taiwan is no others and there will be war on this island. For those of you who hold a ROC passport, prepare yourself for that.

Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 16:24

In my little logic, disliking China is akin to disliking your own ancestry. You can dislike the CCP because they're a political party. But disliking a nation composed of your relatives? That's treason.

I disagree.  I'm a Korean and North Korea isn't exactly high on my list of favorite countries. 
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 16:43

I agree, I think nationalist feeliongs are silly and outdated, I have no more love for anyone in my country then I do for those in another country, all are people, and if we wanted to no longer support our governments they will cease to exist, and if we ignore ethnicity it will cease to be important.  Whether I am distantly related to someone or not related at all matters not in how they or their nation should be judged.

-Alexander Hamilton
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 17:40
Well, I have met Koreans who like North Korea more than the US. Its ok if you don't like the North Korean government, but equating the people with the government is plain wrong.
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 21:19

Well, I have met Koreans who like North Korea more than the US. Its ok if you don't like the North Korean government, but equating the people with the government is plain wrong.

We never differed on that view.  And I never said you dislike the CCP.  I said I dislike the CCP.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 01:15

Look here, friend. You first said this: "It is true that I have no love for your government"

My government is that of DPP. I'm sorry. But I'm not a citizen of PRC but ROC. You dislike the DPP. That's what I assume (at least from what you say).

Don't worry. Its cool. Its just funny every time I look at this.

coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 11:43

Both ROC and RPC are governments and regimes. China is another term.

DPP which I hate the most.

CCP

CNP

are all parties!

Disliking a democratic administrative in the US is different from disliking the American identity.

Same thing should apply to the concept of China.

It is not a political term but an identity.

Just like during the early Han dynasty, the emperor referred to Chin as China. He didn't say it was another country.

During the Warring States period, all the kings referred other states as legitimate governments of the Chinese world. But they refered the Barbarian tribes as aliens.

Same sh*t.

hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 22:26

hansioux, read this article

http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl502_161104.html

Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
Eternal biggest enemy of Rome.
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 07:07
Originally posted by hannibal

hansioux, read this article

http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl502_161104.html

This Singaporean Simplified Chinese news paper said what I said.  Which is that in China this event is down played.  Whether this event is "faithfully" reported by the Western press is irralavent.  Because I personally feel that if a racial conflict can result in 120 death, it is pretty serious.  Maybe you think it is no big deal.  And I believe if the Muslism Chinese and Han Chinese's relationship is as calm as your link stated, I wonder how a car accident can evoke 120 dead.

By the way I never said the Muslism Chinese are connected with the Uyghur.  I am just saying I wonder how they will view this news if they have the chance to see it. 

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123