Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

March 6 - Fall of the Alamo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: March 6 - Fall of the Alamo
    Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 11:57

On March 6th 1838 the legendary Battle of the Alamo reached its bloody climax, after 13 days the small Texan garrison under Colonel William B Travis was overwhelmed and destroyed by the Mexican army of Santa Anna.

Colonel Travis                               A young Santa Anna

Antonio Lpez de Santa Anna

The final assault against the Texan garrison began before daybreak, the Mexicans formed up into large columns and began their advance, at some point during this attack Travis was killed, a bullet to the head. The garrison held firm though and unleashed volley after volley of small arms and cannon fire, beating back Mexican attempts to storm the position.

Regrouping the Mexicans surged forward again, this time scaling the walls and finally getting their troops inside, with the Mexicans inside the compound and Travis dead, the Texan defenders knew it was over. Despite this they continued to resist with desperate ferocity until inevitably they were overwhelmed and the Alamo was taken.

Santa Anna had as many as 6100 men, using some 1600 in the actual attack on the Alamo, the Texan garrison had an effective force of around 200. The battle of the Alamo has come to symbolise to many a heroic struggle for freedom, regardless of the odds or the risks. Often nicknamed "the American Thermopylae" the battle of the Alamo inspires men and women as much today as it did 168 years ago.

The Alamo Today.

Now a tourist attraction its unlikely the Alamo will be forgotten anytime soon or its special place in the hearts of all free Americans today diminish.

Also on this day.

1447 - Nicholas V becomes Pope, his reign began with vast improvements for the city of Rome, rebuilding works, founding libraries, translating a whole host of Greek texts pagan and christian into Latin. As Pope he didnt oppose humanism but instead encouraged it whenever possible, a deeply intellectual man his time as Pope was unfairly over shadowed by the fall of Constantinople in 1453 for which he is chiefly remembered.

1940 - An armistice is signed between Finland and the Soviet Union during the Winter War.

1964 - Constantine II becomes King of Greece, he currently resides in exile in London England where he maintains close ties to the British Royal family.

For further information on events that took place on this date please visit the below link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_6

Being my first post on here, its going to take a little while to find my feet, hopefully I can inject some freshness into the forum and attract more members to read and post on here. I hope i've made a decent start anyway. Also thanks to Komnenos for giving me this opportunity.

Heraclius.

Edited by Heraclius
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 13:25
Doshanbe, 15 Espand

1046: Naser Khosrow started his 19000km travel around world, from Merv city, he backed to Iran after 7 years & wrote his most Famous book: Safarname (The Itinerary)

Naser Khosrow Qobadiani (1003 1088), the Persian traveller, theologian and philosopher, was born to a rich family in the town of Qobadian, near the present day city of Balkh.

He studied various sciences such as Koranic exegesis, mathematics, Greek philosophy, astronomy, geography and theology, and received a position in the Justice Court of the Seljuk Empire.

Until 1046, he was a senior secretary and a successful accountant, but a vision during the night changed his life. He sensed that he couldnt stay home and decided to visit other lands and become acquainted with other peoples. Thus, Naser went to the capital city of Merv and resigned his job to pilgrimage to Mecca. He left Merv and started his 19000- kilometer journey through the Islamic World from Iran to Sudan.

In Egypt he met the Fatimid Caliph Al-Mustansir (ruled 1035 1085) and was respected for his science and intelligence. Al-Mustansir was an Ismaili and presented his sect to Naser Khosrow. Naser researched a lot about this Islamic denomination and finally converted to Ismailism.

He came back as a missionary to convert people of Greater Khorasan to Ismailism. Naser was an eloquent man, an expert writer and his mission was too successful in the eyes of some Sunni clerics and the king, who opposed him. Naser had to leave his birthplace again and emigrated to Yamgan Valley near Badakhshan Mountains (now in Afghanistan). He spent his last years there and wrote most of his books.

Books

Safarnameh (The Itinerary) is his most famous work. He visited tens of cities in about seven years (1046 March 6 1052 October 23) and wrote comprehensively about them: colleges, caravanserais, mosques, area, population, scientists, kings, usual people and his interesting memories. After 1000 years his Safarnameh is still readable for Persian-speaking people.

Among his other books are:

• Divan (the collection of odes and short poems)
  • Saadat Nameh (The Book of Happiness)
  • Zaad al-Mosaferin, written in 1061 about Ismailism beliefs
  • Vajh-e Din (The face of religion)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naser_Khosrow

1079: Ommar Khayyam the Mathematician, Astronomer, Poet & Writer, Completed the Iranian calander design, it's most accurate calander in the world, only had 1day error every 3770 years,
The calander called Jalali & now We used it.

Omar Khayym (May 18, 1048 December 4, 1131) in Persian عمر خیام, was born in Nishapur, Persia (Iran). He was originally named Ghiyath al-Din Abu'l-Fath Omar ibn Ibrahim Al-Nisaburi Khayymi (غياث الدين ابو الفتح عمر بن ابراهيم خيام نيشابوري. Khayym (خیام is an Arabic loanword means "tentmaker".

Omar Khayym was famous as an astronomer. In 1073, the Malik-Shah, ruler of Isfahan, invited Khayym to build and work with an observatory, along with various other distinguished scientists. Eventually, Khayym very accurately (correct to six decimal places) measured the length of the year as 365.24219858156 days.

He also calculated how to correct the Persian calendar.

Khayyam's Tomb in Nishapour
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7879& ; ;PN=2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Khayy%C3%A1m

1945: Many people killed in aginest Parliament in Bahrestan sq, Tehran.
They were supporter of Dr. Mohammad Mossadegh in Oil Nationalization against UK

1975: Rastakhiz party founded by Shah, Another important factor for 1979 revolution

1975: Algiers Accord
The 1975 Algiers Agreement, commonly known as the Algiers Accord. The treaty was meant to settle disputes over the lands between Iraq and Iran (such as Shatt-el-Arab and Khuzestan). The treaty was not honoured by both parties and eventually the two countries went to war over the lands. The Iran-Iraq War lasted eight years, the Iraqis had the upper hand in the beginning of the war but began to lose ground as the two countries waged war. After eight years of war there still are disputes over who is the rightful owner of the lands.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algiers_Accord

http://www.iranianshistoryonthisday.com/FARSI.ASP?u=&I1. x=27&I1.y=9&GD=6&GM=3

Goodluck Heraclius
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 15:37
Nice work, Heraclius!

Also occurring today in women's history:

1973 - death of Pearl S. Buck. By the time of her death in 1973, Buck would publish over 71 books, novels, collection of stories, biography and autobiography, poetry, drama, children's literature, and translations from the Chinese. "The Good Earth" was my favorite Buck book.

Pearl Buck

Pearl Buck

Source: http://www.english.upenn.edu/Projects/Buck/

1982 - death of Ayn Rand. Ayn Rand was considered by some to be the single most important novelist and philosopher of the 20th century. Rand was born in Russia as Alyssa Rosenbaum. Rejecting Bolshevik Russia as the antithesis of freedom, she fled to the U.S. in 1926. She moved to Hollywood and supported herself while writing novels and short stories. Rand met her husband on the set of the movie King of Kings. An atheist from her childhood, she coupled a critique of religious altruism with her critique of social "collectivism." In 1936, she published her first novel We, The Living, followed by Anthem and The Fountain-head in 1938. The latter was a best seller and was made into a King Vidor film staring Gary Cooper. In 1957, Atlas Shrugged also became a best seller. She published books and articles promoting the positive value of selfishness and capitalism, and critiquing old and new left, continuing until her death in 1982. At the time of her death, she was adapting Atlas Shrugged for a television mini-series.

Ayn Rand

Source: http://www.ayn-rand.com/

Edited by morticia
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 15:59
Originally posted by Heraclius

I hope i've made a decent start anyway. Also thanks to Komnenos for giving me this opportunity.

Great start, mate.
Otherwise, I think yoy got the wrong end of the stick. I'm not giving your an opportunity, you are giving me one, namely that of relaxing at least three days of the week when I don't have to come up with something new to entertain the chosen few. Thanks for that.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 16:17
Khayyam is one of the best poets ever (apart of a great astronomer and a delightful atheist) 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 23:18

The battle of the Alamo has come to symbolise to many a heroic struggle for freedom, regardless of the odds or the risks. Often nicknamed "the American Thermopylae" the battle of the Alamo inspires men and women as much today as it did 168 years ago.

Yankee propaganda. Battle for freedom, yea rite, they stole the land from the Mexican to start with. In my book the Mexicans were the righteous ones and has every right to annilate the fools resisting at Alamo.

And that battle is way overrated, it was insignificant compared to what was going on in Europe.

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2006 at 12:41

"Yankee propaganda. Battle for freedom, yea rite, they stole the land from the Mexican to start with. In my book the Mexicans were the righteous ones and has every right to annilate the fools resisting at Alamo.

And that battle is way overrated, it was insignificant compared to what was going on in Europe."

I tend to agree, but if thats what it represents to many people then it was worth saying.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Nagyfejedelem View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Nagyfejedelem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 04:23

1777 Queen Mary Theresa took the University of Hungary into Buda. Later Buda with Pest became again the cultural center of Hungary.

1945 Last German offensive begun in Hungary.

Yes, the last German offensive of WW II was in Hungary, not in the Ardennes! 200. 000 German army and numerous, but badly-equipped Hungarian troops attacked the Soviet forces in Transdanubia. The strategical reason of the attack was the defence of Vienna and Austria, the economical one was the keeping of the Hungarian oil-fields situated in Western Hungary.

Edited by Nagyfejedelem
 Post Reply Post Reply