Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Indo-US Nuclear Pact to Enter Rough Seas in Washington

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indo-US Nuclear Pact to Enter Rough Seas in Washington
    Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 08:13
Originally posted by prsn41ife

yay!!!! lets give more nuclear power to a country that could possibly be invovled in a major and even in a major nuclear war with its neighbor!!!!

but no nukes for iran, not even peaceful energy

as i said, my country would never use nukes first, so does it matter if we use it second? surely the country that fired the nukes on us first would be to blame?

and besides, we need the energy a hell of a lot more than iran does. It's sitting on a large supply of gas and oil, we're not.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 09:07

Iran needs to sell its oil/gas, not burn it up, the rationale that states Iran does not need nuclear energy is a complete nonsense, it is ESSENTIAL for development, rural and urban. When I was in Tehran (TEHRAN, a modern city), there were two half hour blackouts in as many weeks. 

In the Shah's era America was gonna do what it is doing for India now, that is, help build 29 nuclear power plants.  If Iran's sole aim was nuclear weapons, it would just build one reactor like Dimona, there are plans for reactors all over the country.

Interestingly, it seems that China is ahead of America in terms of nuclear power technology with meltdown proof reactors with a new and highly efficient arrangement of fuel cells, I read in a BBC article. Iran should dump Russia and employ ever advancing Chinese technology.

Also, seems like the Us is no longer opposed to Iran-India gas pipeline: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4774312.stm 

As for nuclear arms: Iran is calling for a nuclear weapons free region, and has never had a strike first policy, unlike Israel and other states.

Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 09:33
Originally posted by Zagros

Iran needs to sell its oil/gas, not burn it up, the rationale that states Iran does not need nuclear energy is a complete nonsense, it is ESSENTIAL for development, rural and urban. When I was in Tehran (TEHRAN, a modern city), there were two half hour blackouts in as many weeks. 

In the Shah's era America was gonna do what it is doing for India now, that is, help build 29 nuclear power plants.  If Iran's sole aim was nuclear weapons, it would just build one reactor like Dimona, there are plans for reactors all over the country.

Interestingly, it seems that China is ahead of America in terms of nuclear power technology with meltdown proof reactors with a new and highly efficient arrangement of fuel cells, I read in a BBC article. Iran should dump Russia and employ ever advancing Chinese technology.

Also, seems like the Us is no longer opposed to Iran-India gas pipeline: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4774312.stm 

As for nuclear arms: Iran is calling for a nuclear weapons free region, and has never had a strike first policy, unlike Israel and other states.

i'm aware that Iran probably wouldn't use the nukes either, that was just in response to an earlier post saying that India would.

It's great news about the pipeline, i always wanted our two countries to work together economically, so i guess party in south asia
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 09:56
Yes, me too - I think India could be a good proponent of moderation in Iran in decades to come, but its step away from non-alignment is concerning, I hope it doesn't end up joining the global mafia or becomming a dependent thereof.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 11:55

Yes, me too - I think India could be a good proponent of moderation in Iran in decades to come, but its step away from non-alignment is concerning, I hope it doesn't end up joining the global mafia or becomming a dependent thereof.

Non-alignment was in India's interests 30 or more years ago.  It isn't any more.  India's elites are knowledgeable and conscious of their interests.  As India moves more toward great power status, they will tend to act more and more like all other great powers.

Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 14:52
also, one of my iranian friends once said something a few weeks ago which i thought was quite clever.

"i have no problem with iranians getting nukes, after all they have every right too......i am just hellbent on the mullahs not having nukes"

topple your government im sure quite soon after that nobody would have a problem

Edited by Anujkhamar
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 17:16

Easier said than done, but I would sooner see the mullahs armed with enough weapons to turn the world to hellfire 100 times over than witness the utter destrucution and impovrishment of my homeland. and the disgrace of foreign savages walking around thinking they're the sh*t, beating people up, kicking doors in, peppering van fulls of kids with bullets, poisoning the water with pollution, destroying all infrastucture and committing other crimes as witnessed in Iraq. 

Not to mention the fact that the lack of respect for human life some countries have may even prompt them to launch "pre-emptive" nuclear strikes without fear of consequence on their usual bullsh*t pretences.

Edited by Zagros
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 18:18

Easier said than done, but I would sooner see the mullahs armed with enough weapons to turn the world to hellfire 100 times over than witness the utter destrucution and impovrishment of my homeland. and the disgrace of foreign savages walking around thinking they're the sh*t, beating people up, kicking doors in, peppering van fulls of kids with bullets, poisoning the water with pollution, destroying all infrastucture and committing other crimes as witnessed in Iraq. 

Not to mention the fact that the lack of respect for human life some countries have may even prompt them to launch "pre-emptive" nuclear strikes without fear of consequence on their usual bullsh*t pretences.

The indigenous mullahs are doing a good enough job of destroying and impoverishing Iran, as well as sucking the soul out of a nation.

If you want someone to blame, look no further than at home, rather than at whom you are obviously making reference.

Bad form for a Mod, Zagros.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 18:53
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

The indigenous mullahs are doing a good enough job of destroying and impoverishing Iran, as well as sucking the soul out of a nation.

If you want someone to blame, look no further than at home, rather than at whom you are obviously making reference.

Yeah? What did I blame on who? 

Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 19:12

It is "on whom."   

We both got it off our chests, so let's continue the conversation.

Edited by pikeshot1600
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 19:23

indian has not signed the NPT, has not said that it would not use nuclear weapons, and is continously breaking international law.

but who the hell cares. give everyone nukes except iran, infact, lets just deny iran every technology.

guess what everyone, turkey is going to build nuclear plants, saudi arabia already has one, and who knows, in the future, iraq will probably get nukes too.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 19:26

It is "on whom."   

We both got it off our chests, so let's continue the conversation.

You're supposed to put the end-quote tag after what I said, otherwise it makes what you said look like part of my post.  I was responding to Anu's post, I don't recall you getting whatever off your chest being a part of the equation.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 19:28

you gotta fight, for your right.

anyway:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/05/opinion/05sun1.html

Iran's Best Friend

Published: March 5, 2006

At the rate that President Bush is going, Iran will be a global superpower before too long. For all of the axis-of-evil rhetoric that has come out of the White House, the reality is that the Bush administration has done more to empower Iran than its most ambitious ayatollah could have dared to imagine. Tehran will be able to look back at the Bush years as a golden era full of boosts from America, its unlikely ally.

During the period before the Iraq invasion, the president gave lip service to the idea that Iran and Iraq were both threats to American security. But his advisers, intent on carrying out their long-deferred dream of toppling Saddam Hussein, gave scant thought to what might happen if their plans did not lead to the unified, peaceful, pro-Western democracy of their imaginings. The answer, though, is now rather apparent: a squabbling, divided country in which the Shiite majority in the oil-rich south finds much more in common with its fellow Shiites in Iran than with the Sunni Muslims with whom it needs to form an Iraqi government.

Washington has now become dangerously dependent on the good will and constructive behavior of Shiite fundamentalist parties that Iran sheltered, aided and armed during the years that Saddam Hussein ruled Iraq. In recent weeks, neither good will nor constructive behavior has been particularly evident, and if Iran chooses to stir up further trouble to deflect diplomatic pressures on its nuclear program, it could easily do so.

There is now a real risk that Iraq, instead of being turned into an outpost of secular democracy challenging the fanatical rulers of the Islamic republic to its east, could become an Iranian-aligned fundamentalist theocracy, challenging the secular Arab regimes to its west.

Fast-forward to Thursday's nuclear deal with India, in which President Bush agreed to share civilian nuclear technology with India despite its nuclear weapons programs and its refusal to sign the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty.

This would be a bad idea at any time, rewarding India for flouting the basic international understanding that has successfully discouraged other countries from South Korea to Saudi Arabia from embarking on their own efforts to build nuclear weapons. But it also undermines attempts to rein in Iran, whose nuclear program is progressing and unnerving both its neighbors and the West.

The India deal is exactly the wrong message to send right now, just days before Washington and its European allies will be asking the International Atomic Energy Agency to refer Iran's case to the United Nations Security Council for further action. Iran's hopes of preventing this depend on convincing the rest of the world that the West is guilty of a double standard on nuclear issues. Mr. Bush might as well have tied a pretty red bow around his India nuclear deal and mailed it as a gift to Tehran.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 19:31

There is absolutely no assurance that Iran won't violate it's promises about nuclear weapons, and the fact that they've been doing all this in secret doesn't imply that it is peaceful.  And even if it is entirely or mostly peaceful and necessary for their development, the potential that it could be used for nuclear weapons is too great a risk for the US to take.

If you want your people to benefit from nuclear power, then first replace your government with something more appropriate for the 21st Century.

Edited by Genghis
Member of IAEA
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 19:52

If you want your people to benefit from nuclear power, then first replace your government with something more appropriate for the 21st Century.

I believe Dr Mossadegh's democratic government in 1953 was more than appropriate, the one you guys overthrew and replaced with a weak despot.

Dream208 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Dream208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 20:33
What kind of government is "appropriate for the 21st Century"? As long as it is not western democracy it is not appropriate?
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 20:40
A government that doesn't deny the Holocaust would be a big step in the right direction.
Member of IAEA
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 20:41
Originally posted by Genghis

like what? the saudi government which the USA supports, which is actually worse than iran??? the saudi government has a nuclear power plant, did you know that?

the fact of the matter is that zagros is right. did the shah need energy? iran had oil then too, but the USA had no problem building the shah nukes.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 20:43

Originally posted by Genghis

A government that doesn't deny the Holocaust would be a big step in the right direction.

the whole government of iran doesnt deny the holocaust. ahmadinejad denies it.

for example, the former president of iran, khatami, attacked ahmadinejad, saying that the holocaust was a reality. 

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 21:36

]

I believe Dr Mossadegh's democratic government in 1953 was more than appropriate, the one you guys overthrew and replaced with a weak despot.

How undemocratic of u to remember stuff like that. It is funny how people throw comments like that in thin air.

Wonder if an iranian equivalent of Bush would be acceptable in the 21st century.

Edited by malizai_
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>