Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTurkish Soldiers in the Korean War

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkish Soldiers in the Korean War
    Posted: 02-Mar-2006 at 06:53

This thread is about  role of Turkish soldiers in the Korean war of middle 20th century.

The Turks in the Korean War

(The Turkish perspective from "The Korean War -- a short history by the Turkish War Veterans Association.)

The Turkish Brigade has been the subject of the world's praise, by showing a very superior combat capability which provided our state with honor through the successes it won one after another during the three year period of blood and fire starting from the hardest and most critical moment it entered the battlefield until the signing of the "Ceasefire" agreement. Because addressing all the battles of the Turkish Brigades, however briefly, will extend the subject, we will just suffice to list the battles fought and briefly address the most important ones.

The Turkish brigades, between the dates of November 1950 and July 1953, have fought the following battles the Kunuri diversion; the Kumyangjangni-Illi-431-639 -Imjin attacks; 22/23 April 1951; the Chorwon-Seoul diversion; the Taegyewonni defense; the Barhar-Kumhwa-701 attacks; and the Wegas defense battles. We will not just talk here about the battles accomplished by our Brigades--for the Turkish brigades have accomplished all their war tasks without default but about four important battles which affected the course of the war. And these are the battles of Kunuri, Kumjangjangni, Taegyewonni and Wegas.

http://www.korean-war.com/turkey.html

General Yazici gets the Silver Star from U.S. 8th Army General Walton H. Walker, for Yazici's General Yazici gets the Silver Star from U.S. 8th Army General Walton H. Walker, for Yazici'sGeneral Yazici gets the Silver Star from U.S. 8th Army General Walton H. Walker, for Yazici's heroism and courage during the Kunuri battles.

"...The fierce combat ability of the Turkish Brigade should never be forgotten."

Edited by All Empires
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2006 at 08:21
Remarks by President Roh Moo-hyun of the Republic of Korea at a Wreath-laying Ceremony at the War Memorial Tower Istanbul, Turkey
 April 16, 2005

President Feridun Celenk of the Turkish Veterans Association, Korean War veterans,

I am very pleased to meet you all. In recognition that you have given so much of yourselves for the benefit of Korea, I should have come much earlier and conveyed to you how grateful I feel. One consolation is that I actually have gotten to see you in good health today. On behalf of all Korean people, I offer heartfelt thanks and respect to you.

You fought alongside the Korean people in defense of free democracy and peace. In the process, so many Turkish soldiers gave their lives or were wounded in a distant land. The valor of the Turkish troops is legendary and still lives in the hearts of the Korean people to this day. We will never forget your sacrifices.

Veterans,

Your sacrifices were not in vain. The Republic of Korea has now emerged as the 11th economic power in the world. The Republic has been fully democratized and is contributing to the peace and prosperity of the world.

You safeguarded not only Korea when it was being swept into crisis but also all of Northeast Asia because stability on the Korean Peninsula at the time was intricately related to peace in the region as well as throughout the world. In this sense, you are true warriors that defended the peace of the world.

Korean War veterans,

The friendly feelings that Korean people have for the Turkish people are special, indeed.

During the 2002 FIFA World Cup finals, the two national teams fought in a match deciding third and fourth place. The way spectators cheered both teams with equal enthusiasm in a festive atmosphere impressed all football fans around the world.

Korea-Turkey relations will develop even more closely in the years to come. That is because the seeds of friendship that you sowed half a century ago are growing ever more strongly in the hearts of our two peoples.

I trust that you will continue to support bilateral efforts to bring about even better results. I assure you that the Korean Government will make its utmost endeavor in this regard.

Once more, I pray for the souls of the valiant warriors who gave their lives in the Korean War. I wish every one of you good health and happiness.

Thank you.
http://www.korea.net/korea/boardDetailView.asp?board_no=4812 &code=B0203&lang_no=
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2006 at 10:32

This thread has already exhausted itswelf. No need for another one. Check the attached link and if it's not sufficient then return with comments.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9312& ; ;KW=turks+korean+war&TPN=4

Edited by Yiannis
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2006 at 18:10
Originally posted by Yiannis

This thread has already exhausted itswelf. No need for another one. Check the attached link and if it's not sufficient then return with comments.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9312& ; ; ;KW=turks+korean+war&TPN=4

stupidumboy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2006 at 21:32

Turkey is the one of the highest country that Koreans like today.

Suevari View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 15:03
Throughout our history, the backbone of our societies have been the military - we're fierce fighters for sure and damn proud of it.

Yet, at the same time as honouring the fallen Turks in Korea, I do support a new image of Turkey - less militaristic (just as proud) and more pluralistic when it comes to our specialities.

Korea + Japan are our buddies, we love you guys!
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 15:31
Much of Turkey's brigade was captured by the PLA 38th Army when it was defending a position.  The accounts of the Turkish brigade is not impressive, according to the PLA.  The contrary goes for the French Foreign Legion.  According to Chinese sources, the PLA suffered a humiliating defeat at the hands of the French Foreign Legion, and an entire offensive plan of the PLA went down hill because of the French Foreign Legion's tenacity.
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Suevari View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 15:49
Who cares Hercule.
But peace to you all wrapped up in a nice furry bunny basket.
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 15:54
I am saying that the Turkish Brigade was more humane and vulnerable to human flaw than the French Foreign Legion, which was composed of cutthroats and bandits around the world.
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 15:16
Originally posted by poirot

Much of Turkey's brigade was captured by the PLA 38th Army when it was defending a position.  The accounts of the Turkish brigade is not impressive, according to the PLA.  The contrary goes for the French Foreign Legion.  According to Chinese sources, the PLA suffered a humiliating defeat at the hands of the French Foreign Legion, and an entire offensive plan of the PLA went down hill because of the French Foreign Legion's tenacity.

How interesting, poirot. This raises a question, though, so I will digress momentarily before getting back on topic. I am sure you are aware this was not the only aerea of the world the French Foreign Legion was engaged in, shortly after truce was called the Legion would suffer one of her greatest defeats ever in the valley of Dien Bien Phu. Do you know if the same soldiers fighting in Korea were soon redeployed to Vietnam only to be lost under Navarre? Or were these simply different sections of the Legion simultaneously serving in two theatres.

You are also right about the ferocity of the Legionairres. Many of them were from the old Axis powers, escaping into the Legion thanks to their policy of asking the minimum questions and doing no background check at all. You had every sort of misfit, bandit, murderer, genocide participator, patriot and hero in the French Foreign Legion. They were a real mix.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 15:45
It's quite the coincidence that this topic should be raised, as I read an interview recently about an incident between some Australian soldiers and a Turkish officer during the Korean war. I am sure most of you here know that ANZAC and Turkish troops fought eachother honourably in the Gallipoli campaign of WWI. In Korea, they met again but as allies. I will copy it here verbatim from Australian veteran Alan Williams:

"One night after we had returned on leave, some of the boys had got together and managed to get ourselves a fine bottle of bourbon. It had been a hard few months and we really reckoned we had earnt the chance to share a drink and have a yarn (chat to eachother). Suddenly a few Yank (American) MPs (Military Police) came in and threatened to confiscate our bourbon and the usual muck about. Those MPs were all the same in their dress, the way they talked and walked, but the Americans got really officious about doing their job and carried their batons and pistols conspicuously. As we were trying to rescue ourselves from the situation, a senior Turkish MP came in to see what the fuss was about. He immediately gave the Yanks a talking to and sent them outside to sulk. What a good bloke, we invited him to have a yarn with us and enjoyed our R & R (rest and relaxation)."
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 09:01
Originally posted by poirot

bwah, you know the french Theyre bad at tactics  (remember the frontline of france during WWII, wich the germans passed them in few hours  
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 19:28

the korean war is the forgotten war unfortunately.

how many turkish soldiers were there?

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 19:30
Originally posted by DayI

bwah, you know the french Theyre bad at tactics  (remember the frontline of france during WWII, wich the germans passed them in few hours  

Man, French bashing isn't even funny anymore.
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 19:38

dont worry about him. he obviously doesnt know about german tactics during the invasion of france.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Hando View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 17:11
I wrote this  recently in another post but it is fitting here as well.
Hi I am new to this forum. I am Korean and live in the US. I was very happy to come across this forum and read from so many well informed sources as I am interested in East Asian History. I studied European history during college and also took some courses on Tokugawa Japan, but it is only recently that I have become interested in Korean, East Asian history.
I agree that there are many similarities between Koreans and Turks. I found this out myself, even before I found out that Koreans and Turks consider each other brothers and that we share so many similiarities. I never knew any of this when I went to Turkey 5 years ago. I couldnt put my finger on it then, but when I went there, I found so many uncanny similarities. The national psyche, the machismo culture, the vibe I got, whatever it is, so reminded me of Koreans. When I was in Antalya and I talked to a 25 YO guy who was the nephew of the hotel owner and he talked about how he met his girl friend, he really reminded me of my favourite cousin and the way he would think and talk and act. I told him so.
It was only during the World Cup, that I found that Koreans and Turks considered each other similar and brothers. So since I found out the similiarites all by myself and only confirmed it later, I really think the idea that Turks and Koreans share similar identities must be somehow true. I dont have any hisorical facts to back this up, but the intuition is there. And I am glad of it. Because I respect the Turkish people and I consider them very similar to Koreans.

flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 20:57
Welcome to AE Hando!!!! Looking forward to reading your posts and sharing with us your wisdom. Smile
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 04:59
we're both altaic if that coounts I guess not but I think it's the way one thinks and acts. for instance theres nothing more important in "Turkic" socaity than honor,loyalty and respect( especially for the parants) well it used to be. the same for Koreans well for all central and east asians.

Edited by xi_tujue - 20-May-2006 at 05:02
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Hando View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2006 at 23:32
Originally posted by xi_tujue

theres nothing more important in "Turkic" socaity than honor,loyalty and respect( especially for the parants) well it used to be. the same for Koreans well for all central and east asians.

Also in Korea it was most important to respect your parents, but not so much anymore.Cry
Qin Dynasty View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2006 at 05:42
Originally posted by Iranian41ife

the korean war is the forgotten war unfortunately.

how many turkish soldiers were there?

not exactly, it is forgotten by the West since nothing could they boast for. Imaging the Hollywood casts a movie about korean war, what could they tell? defeat, and defeat. they were defeated by an army with primary suck weapons, an army who they had thought they could easily crush down, an army they never took seriously. And the myth of so called '' human wave'' was created by them to save face. Why would they mention it any more?

As for the Turkish role in Korean war, there was a Turkish brigade encounting with Chinese army, they mistaken the retreating South Korean Chinese, so they fired fiercely when the Koreans approached where they stationed. The brigade was annihilated by the Chinese who follow those retreating Koreans. This is the only source from China side about the Turkish i could find, I get no source from the US side about their performance in the battle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>