Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What if China found Mexico first?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
TranHungDao View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if China found Mexico first?
    Posted: 11-Jun-2007 at 00:31
Originally posted by pinguin

Those high figures are very doubtfull. Haven't you heared of the "number chrunching" debate on the population of the Americas?

The fact is that North America had a very low population density at contact, like the Amazons. Do you know the Amazon at its peak didn't have more than 300.000 people? and that Patagonia has about 4.000?
The U.S. perhaps had as much people as the Amazons at contact.

Frankly, you're comparing apples and oranges when you speak of the Amazon.  Deserts can't support that much life, which is why despite have the oldest civilization, the Mideast isn't anywhere nearly as densely populated as China and India.  It is well know that Chinese population exploded at times due to it's high productivity, which a desert cannot match.

Now the Amazon, is sort of a desert, but in reverse:  There's just to much god damn trees!!!

I'm not familiar with Patagonia, but it may be a better comparison.  But you also forget that the US is closer to that Bering Strait land bridge than Patagonia is.  Central America and the the northern regions of South America were obviously the most densely populated.
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2007 at 00:43
1.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_history_of_American_indigenous_peoples

---this wiki link has an very good discussion on the conflicting and wide ranging estimates of collective population of indigenious peoples.

2.  I think you need to look at the situation in the Carribean:

European groups that may have tried to enslave them. The first indigenous group encountered by Columbus were the 250,000 Tainos of Hispaniola who were the dominant culture in the Greater Antilles and the Bahamas. Later explorations of the Caribbean led to the discovery of the Aruak peoples of the lesser Antilles. Whoever wasn't killed by the widespread diseases brought in from Europe or the many conflicts against European soldiers were enslaved, and the culture was extinct by 1650. Only 500 had survived by the year 1550, though the bloodlines continued through the modern populace.

Link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples_of_the_Americas

I don't know the accuracy of the above claims, but without question, there are very few Amerindians in the Carribean and the Bahamas.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2007 at 14:42
Current studies has show the Tainos of the Caribbean didn't become extinct but assimilated to the Europeans. You should read those studies, they show lound and clear that the history of the Caribbean has been manipulated by political reasons. Most of the Hispanics in the Caribbean, from Puerto Rico, DR and Cuba carry Amerindian DNA in porcentages larger than suspected
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2007 at 14:50
Originally posted by TranHungDao

Eh, Africans were brought here in chains.  Confused

Not by Indians, though.

Most African Americans do have some Indian blood thru intermarriage and whatnot.

Actually, that's an African American myth. It seem they don't want to recognize theirs admixture with Europeans, so they blame Amerindians for theirs non-West African features. Genetics doesn't show much Amerindian admixture in Black Americans.

Although intermarriage existed between Blacks and Indians, the scale of them was quite smaller when compared with mixings with whites. Almost all mixings of Amerindians where with Europeans, and also almost all mixings of Africans where with Europeans as well. Mixing Africans-Indians was quite small in comparison, across the Americas. Except in the Caribbean and Brazil.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2007 at 15:02

Current studies has show the Tainos of the Caribbean didn't become extinct but assimilated to the Europeans.

If they are assimilated that means they are extinct. Otherwise you can just as well say that the Visigoths still exist.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2007 at 15:58
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Current studies has show the Tainos of the Caribbean didn't become extinct but assimilated to the Europeans.

If they are assimilated that means they are extinct. Otherwise you can just as well say that the Visigoths still exist.

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Yes, in certain sense you are right.

They are extinct but there are many descendents alive. You make me remember a report about the last Yagana alived in Chile. The lady was in a picture..... will all her descendents Confused

What I mean that they were not exterminated, but that were absorved in the flood of invaders.

Pinguin

Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2007 at 23:04

Not by Indians, though.

Which makes it much more complicated than:  "Ship 'em back to Africa!" Ermm

Actually, that's an African American myth. It seem they don't want to recognize theirs admixture with Europeans, so they blame Amerindians for theirs non-West African features. Genetics doesn't show much Amerindian admixture in Black Americans.

First, I'm not sure if what you're saying is correct.  But it does seem you've read a bit (a lot) on the genetics research.

Second, your explanation is definitely pecular--perhaps overly PC.  In his documentary, African American Lives, Henry Louis Gates explores this issue.  If I recall correctly, African Americans did unfortunately value "fair" skin, where lighter skinned AA's would refer to darker skinned AA's as "midnighters".  Many did have white Y-chromosomal DNA originating from Europe, i.e. the white masters and overseers were raping the slave women, contrary to the Jim Crow era fantasies about black men raping white women.  Gates got this from a geneticists.  Yes, AA's often did claim to have Native American ancestry, but I don't think it was due to not wanting white blood, per se.  The severe racism of the time, not to mention that Jim Crow myth of black men raping white women vis-a-vis Birth of A Nation and so on, perhaps wrongly told them white men would not rape black women and thus they had to deny the Jim Crow era racist rape myths by saying their non-African features came from another source, namely Native Americans.  Otherwise, if AA's attributed their non-African features to white ancestry, then their men were all a bunch criminals out to rape white women.  Confused

Edited by TranHungDao - 11-Jun-2007 at 23:07
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2007 at 23:20
There are AA with Amerindian admixture, indeed, but a lot less that what was expected.

Yes, I know that. But you have to realize Amerindians are not guilty of bringing slaves to the Americas. Amerindians only wanted to preserve their homelands, and lost them.  The big lossers of this game were Amerindians, and only them. They lost a land that was theirs and only theirs. No other people in the world suffer a robbery in such a large scale like Amerindians suffered.  Besides, illness, wars and mixing brough whole peoples to extinction in a scale not seen afterwards. The crashing of the culture was really pathetic.

Now, for the myth of the extinction of Amerindians, thanks God, that genetical research is showing light to what really happens. It seems that White Americans have more Amerindian blood in them that they want to admite.

In the case of Latin Americans, and even Canadians (particularly Quebecois), we recognize our Amerindian ancestry. Even more, sometimes we idealize them, to the point that some think in the pre-contact times like a Golden Age of the Americas.

Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2007 at 23:23
The article below says exactly what you said about the myth of Native American ancestry amongst AA's.  However, I think my intepretation of why this myth existed is correct.

Of course, the assertion for which you are correct, namely the former, is more important than the latter, or mine.  Wink

Some are using DNA to test the oral traditions that African-American families have relied on to transmit their histories. And in a 21st-century update of Alex Haley's 1976 novel Roots, others are seeking to match their DNA to the ethnic groups in Africa to which their ancestors might have belonged.

For black Americans, however, there are some drawbacks. DNA evidence has confirmed some family stories but debunked many others. For example, most of the nine black celebrities who underwent genetic testing for the PBS documentary African American Lives believed they were part Native American.

One of those tested, Oprah Winfrey, 52, says on the program that to many African-Americans in her generation, being "a little Indian" was desirable. The two-part documentary, which began running this week, says genetic testing revealed that only two of the nine celebrities tested Winfrey and comedian-actor Chris Tucker likely had Native American ancestors.

The new wave of genealogical testing also has reopened one of America's ugliest wounds by confirming with science what historians have contended for generations: In slavery times and beyond, large numbers of black women were impregnated by white slave owners or other white men in positions of power.

About 30% of black Americans who take DNA tests to determine their African lineage prove to be descended from Europeans on their father's side, says Rick Kittles, scientific director of African Ancestry, a Washington, D.C., company that began offering the tests in 2003. Almost all black Americans whom Kittles has tested descended from African women, he
says.

Source:  http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-02-01-dna-tests_x.htm

"... impregnated by white slave owners or other white men in positions of power."

Lol, "impregnated" ?!? Confused  Try rape!  Disapprove 

Talk about political revisionism!  Dead

No offence, but I'd still need to see some sources for your assertions on the Tainos of the Carribean and the the Native American's of the US.

Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2007 at 23:28

Now, for the myth of the extinction of Amerindians, thanks God, that genetical research is showing light to what really happens. It seems that White Americans have more Amerindian blood in them that they want to admite.

They have more black blood in them then they want to admit too.  LOL

According to the Jim Crow era's one drop rule, this makes America not 12.5% black, but probably about 50% black.  Clap

I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if there are plenty of Klansmen and Neo Nazi skinheads who are categorically "black" according to the one drop rule. Tongue
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2007 at 23:34
Come to think of it, the DNA studies on the nine AA celebs in African American Lives did say that two of them, namely Oprah and Chris Tucker, did have some Native American ancestry.  This still leaves the possibility at least that the intermarriage rate between AA's and NA's was indeed higher than that of AA's and whites, but for sure, the interracial rape rate between white males and black females was highest by far.  Dead
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2007 at 23:44

No offence, but I'd still need to see some sources for your assertions on the Tainos of the Carribean and the the Native American's of the US.

It is a sad history of Black Americans in the U.S., I only can guess how it feels.

The history of the Tainos of Cuba is a little bit more curious, but actually very true. Do you know that most Spaniards came single to the Americas. It is not a secret for anybody that Native women in natives societies, usually were treated more like objects like people. They were even trade for some barrel of suggar or a "bag of tobacco" as same quebecois once say talking about his remote Indian female ancestor.

It is also know that those smelly and hairy Europeans resulted quite curious and attractive to female Natives as well. It is also clear that for Europeans, those Asian-like brown easy going females looked not such bad at all. Particularly if compared with the energetic and dominant Spanish females of all times.

Short story: there were lots of love between female natives and male Spaniards. Most was informal, but there were quite a lot of real marriages as well, particularly with upper classes Natives.

And all this thing shows in genetics. Take a look to some articles on Tainos survival:

Pinguin

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2007 at 01:26
Tran, thank you for replying to my post.  I almost did not see it on this page!

But the real domination began with the colonial period, i.e. guns & ammo.  It was European technology which grew from European science/intellectual developments that enable Europe to conquer Asia.  East Asia, the Mideast and India was definitely stronger than Africa and the Americas.

But remember, around 1600, Francis Bacon wrote that the three most important inventions were:  Gun powder, the magnetic compass, and the printing press.  All of these were invented by China.

It has always remained a mystery to me why China lagged behind by the 15th century in gunpowder technology.  Since they invented gunpowder weapons you would think that there would be continuity in their development.  Was it that Europe had made advances independently that surpassed anything that Ming China was producing?

You mentioned the European conquest of India.  It seems that Indians had cannon and firearms of a quality that measured up to what Europe had.  Did they eventually become antiquated sometime in the 15th century?  There is a good book on the subject:

Iqtidar Alam Khan, Gunpowder and Firearms: Warfare in Medieval India (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004).

Perhaps most important is the fact that the Chinese emperors were always fearful of internal rebellions.  The point is, they had their hands full with domestic and next door issues to even contemplate having to deal with problems from far flung colonies half way around the world.

Very similar to the Ottomans.  They were pretty wealthy during the Age of Discovery but were unable to take part in expansion to the New World because of problems in the Old World and technological backwardness.  They feared rebellions in the Balkans and from Shi'ite communtities in the eastern provinces.

Having said that, one can still ask hypotheticallyWhat if they actually did colonize the Americas?  Would they be as brutal?  My opinion?  Probably not.  Brutal, yes, but not to the same extent.  Look at how the Chinese empire expanded.  Look at Vietnam:  They annexed and sinocized Vietnam.  It was brutal since conquest is always so, but not genocidal.

Of course, I could be wrong.  The PRC on the other hand has been very brutal by proxy, i.e. their client states in Cambodia (the killing fields) and North Korea (gulags, diabolical human testing using chemical and biological agents, rampant rumors of cannibalism, etc.) says a lot about them.

Good points!

Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2007 at 08:28
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

It has always remained a mystery to me why China lagged behind by the 15th century in gunpowder technology.  Since they invented gunpowder weapons you would think that there would be continuity in their development.  Was it that Europe had made advances independently that surpassed anything that Ming China was producing?

Easy.  This is easy to explain. 

One Word:  Confucianism

Confucianism emphasizes regurgitation, whereas with the West, which inherits its intellectual tradition from the Greeks emphasizes innovation.  This is why traditional Chinese science was never more than about creating nifty tinker toys (early/primitive printing press, basic gunpowder, and the magnetic compass...) rather than abstract mathematics and the natural sciences (Newtonian Mechanics, computers, general relativity...).  The West wast constantly innovating whereas East Asia was constantly copying the Chinese classics.

For centuries, even millenia, those ultra competitive civil service exams tested ambitious students on their ability to regurgitate the classics.  Japan, Korea and Vietnam are also Confucian.

Even nowadays if you look at those math, computer science (IOI), biology, chemistry, Robocon, physics, etc. olympiads, China, Vietnam, S. Korea, and Japan are dominant.  China, mostly by virtue of it sheer size, almost always wins the math olympiads.  Vietnam, with the exception of the last two years, often creams both S. Korea and Japan.  S. Korea is doing strong now, and so is Japan.   Western European countries, including France and Britain, are almost never on the radar; the Scandinavian countries and Israel are too small to compete effectively; Russia and former East block contries are often very strong.  Lol, wealthy countries like UK, France, US, Japan, have kids who'd rather go to rock or rap concerts than do math.

However, when you look at Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals, the Confucian countries are pathetic underachievers, including the wealthy Japanese who industrialized, via Western technology, way back in the 1850's. Confused  Think about it:  The Japanese are good at improving the sh*t out of  everything that America invents. LOL

The point here is the best test takers are generally not the most brilliant minds.  James Joyce was lousy at math so he turned to literature where his only peer is no less than Shakespeare himself.  The amazing actor Ed Norton couldn't pass his physics courses at Yale.  The vast majority of olympiad gold medalists go on to have mediocre careers in their respective fields.  Prior to the twentieth century, China's most brilliant mathmatician (I forget his name) couldn't pass the his madarinate exams.  We can safely assume that despite their earth-shattering brilliance Shakespeare, Kant, Newton, Gauss and Einstein could not have passed the equivalent of the Confucian civil service exams if it were written in their respective languages and the topics were on their respective histories and literature. Confused

This is why confucianist Asians are so good at test taking, but mediocre when it comes to achieving major scientific innovations, such as general relativity or string theory.  Cry

The funny thing is that many Chinese want to throw the baby out with the bath water:  For about 100 years now, many Chinese as well as other confucians, have blamed confucianism for China's backwardness relative to the West--particularly since the Chinese invented gunpowder over 2000 years ago but failed to take full advantage of it.  This is a mistake.  Why?  Because Confucianism strength over the West is that it has a stronger work ethic than the West's Protestant Work Ethic/Calvinism:  Hence there us a stereoytpe that Asians are hard working and good at math--that is they get good grades in highschool and college, and own restaurants. Wink

Nearly all of the Asians who've won Noble Prizes and Fields Medals were trained and/or worked their entire careers in the West, where they were taught to think outside the box, rather than to constantly regurgitate what their profs told them.  (Vietnam and S. Korea only have Nobel Peace prizes, so I'm really talking about the 1.3 billion Chinese and the very rich and technologically advanced Japanese.)  Even now it is incredible that in Asian universities, students dare not question the authority of their professors.  Oh, by the way, authoritarianism is a key aspect of Confucianism, which is very anti-thetical to innovative thinking. 

If you haven't noticed, Jews, who've lived in Europe for 1000 or even 2000 years, have the best of both worlds.  They can match the "Confucian work ethic" and possess the Western penchant for creative thinking, which is why they win way too many Nobels and Fields medalsClap I guess we should all strive to be like them, but without that silly penchant for oppressing Palestinians.  Dead

I suspect it will take another 100 to 200 years before East Asians can match the West in innovative thinking.  It will happen, but it will take a giant cultural paradigm shift.  But mind you, Japan, S. Korea, and Taiwan are economic powerhouses despite having yet to go thru this shift.  This should inform you as to what the "Asian century" will be like.   China will make Japan look like nothing.  China has about twice the population of Europe, America, Canada and Austrailia combined! Shocked

Better start learning Chinese!  Confused

For the West to keep up, it better strengthen the Calvinist work ethic. 

Note:  When it comes to this kind of stuff, think in terms of centuries and not decades.  However, the solely economic aspect should be viewed in terms of decades.

-------------------------------------------

There are people who believe in that "geography is destiny" hypothesis:  Where you live, you're environment, determines what you become.  They claim the Greeks became individualistic, i.e. innovative, because of their maritime merchant political economy.   And they say that East Asians who grew rice needed to think collectively, i.e. rice growing required massive the irrigation schemes which in turn required collectivisation:  Social Conformity.  Social conformity is the opposite of individuality, or innovation.

On a tangential note, I think the "geography is destiny" hypothesis can explain why the Mongols and Vikings, among others, became so violent in their hey-day.  They both lived in very unforgiving climates, so that when the population density increased exhausting the respective lands' ability to support them with their then primitive farming/pastoral technologies, constant warfare was all but inevitable to break out.  And sooner rather than later, the law of the jungle took over:  Kill or be killed.  Hence they became extremely violent.

Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

You mentioned the European conquest of India.  It seems that Indians had cannon and firearms of a quality that measured up to what Europe had.  Did they eventually become antiquated sometime in the 15th century?  There is a good book on the subject:

Iqtidar Alam Khan, Gunpowder and Firearms: Warfare in Medieval India (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004).

Sorry, don't know anything about India.  But thanks for the comparisons with India and the Ottomans.

Edited by TranHungDao - 12-Jun-2007 at 08:40
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2007 at 09:17

The history of the Tainos of Cuba is a little bit more curious, but actually very true. Do you know that most Spaniards came single to the Americas.

Actually, I alluded to this somewhat in an early post.  Although you're addressing an entirely different issue, namely that of European male + Native American female relationships.

What I was getting at was that when young men leave their homes and families behind to go to a far away place, they often go crazy real fast.
  The colonist and slave owners of Brazil were far more brutal than their counterparts in America, which is saying a lot since the American slave owners were truly bestial in their violence and depravity.  Dead

Think of that Conradian journey into the Heart of DarknessAngry

This is a common theme in warfare, both ancient and modern.  All you have to do is look at Vietnam, or even Iraq.  The brutality of US soldiers in Vietnam included beheadings, collecting ears, and so on.  The CIA would pay local Montagnard tribesmen to collect heads for them of suspected Viet Cong.  The grotesquely funny thing was that one week the CIA might set a quota of 25 heads and the quota would be met. Dead  The next week, the quota might be 50 heads and that quota was met. Dead  And so on.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a lazy and unmotivated  Montagnard mercenary might want to kill and decapitate a Vietnamese farmer working in his rice paddy or a fisherman by the river than to actually go out at night searching for well armed Viet Cong soldiers. Confused

Did you know that in California in the 1800's, the state and federal governments paid $2 for an Indian scalp and $5 for the whole head?  Why $5 for a whole head?  Because one can only guess that ambitious head hunters were murdering Chinese laborers and scalping them, or even dark haired Europeans!  God forbid!  Shocked

The reason why I bring this up is to point out how diabolically hyocritical the US media is representing the incidents of decapitations of American soldiers and non-Arab civilians in Iraq in the machiavellian ploy to justify invading Iraq (for oil), killing Iraqis (for oil), etc., while conveniently having total amnesia over what US soldiers did in Vietnam.  Heck, Sen. John Kerry, who ran for President in 2004, testified to as much before Congress in the early 1970's.  I've heard that some US marines are still collecting ears in Iraq.  I heard this from a US marine, by the way.  He's thoroughly disgusted by what some of his band of brothers are doing.

Heck, the Brits were decapitating Nazi Werewolves (post WWII insurgents) via guillotine.  During colonial Vietnam, French soldiers often sent their wives or girlfirends post cards of decapitated Vietnamese rebels, who were merely fighting to rid themselves of the bestial French who, would send such grotesque photos to their significant others.  Dead

It is not a secret for anybody that Native women in natives societies, usually were treated more like objects like people. They were even trade for some barrel of suggar or a "bag of tobacco" as same quebecois once say talking about his remote Indian female ancestor.

Well, not all native cultures did this.  Remember, there were female doimated cultures too.  I think the Iroquoise were female dominated.  Also don't forget that it was recorded a number of times that white females who had been captured by the Indian "savages" and rescued by the civilized Christian white men, actually ran back to their captors because they prefered their treatment there. LOL

That's not to say that other tribes didn't often raped, mutilated, murder and/or hold white captives for ransom, e.g. the Commanches.  But then again, whites certainly did the same thing but on a greater scale to the native women as they had done to the slave women from Africa.

And the truly bestial brulity occurring during the Jim Crow era in the US was just as bad and often worse than anything that the Indians had down 100 years earlier.  These acts included not just lynching, but skinning blacks alive, burning them alive, castrating them...  And all the while the entire white township would turn out with their women and children with picnic baskets to enjoy the utterly satanic scenery! Shocked

Note:  Photos and phonographic recordings of these incidents still exists!  Salesmen used to go door to door and sell them to Jim Crow era desparate housewives, who were bored and had nothing to entertain them.

Edited by TranHungDao - 12-Jun-2007 at 09:18
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2007 at 18:47
Pinguin wrote-

I want to see a source for that one Bucko!  It goes against everything I've seen. 
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2007 at 18:57
I'm going to try and bring this back on topic-

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2007 at 21:56

To Red Clay and TranHungDao:

When you think in this topic you guys inevitable have a North American, more clearly, an U.S. point of view. My comments are more continental-wise, considering regions like the Caribbean, Brazil, Canada and Hispanic America.

If you allow me to say it, and follow me a second, you will notice that since the arrival of the Spaniards intermarriage was mainly European and Indigenous, rather than African and Indigenous. All the hierarchies, and the largest group of the Americas were made mainly of European-Indigenous people that become "dilluted" after the large waves of European immigrants that never stopped to come.

In the U.S., because of the classification of people in two groups: white and non-white, people tended to classiffy Indians and Blacks together in a single group. That's perspective distort the facts that happened continent wise where an arrivist group of people, called Meti-Mestizos-Half breed, usually not only allied with Whites but "passed" as Whites!! Whitout nobody noticing it.

There are many genetical studies of Amerindian admixture in all the Americas (except in the U.S., curiosly). In all them the pattern is clear. A sexual biass of the European fathers and Indian mothers is clearly seen, not only in countries like Mexico or Bolivia, that have large number of Amerindians even today. You find them in the Caribbean, Brazil, Canada and Argentina as well.

In the U.S., the only reliavable study that exist is the one of Shiver, which shows White Americans are circa 6% Amerindian and 2% Africans. For African Americans the percentage of European-Indigenous admixture is circa 18%, mainly European. I have looked for another sources of information but they are not available in the market of genetical studies.

Pinguin

Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2007 at 22:04
Originally posted by red clay

I want to see a source for that one Bucko!  It goes against everything I've seen. 

Watch African American Lives.  Besides, I posted a USA Today article on the topic.  I was wrong and Penquin is right. 

Originally posted by red clay

I'm going to try and bring this back on topic-

Ha ha.  Sorry.

But I was only going down Voyager's line of logic.  He clearly had his own political agenda completely devoid of any reality.  He wants to see others as violent so he can justify his ancestors' near extermination of them, while deliberately failing to see that his ancestors were, as well as his contemporary bethren are, far more violent.  This is a tell-tale sign of those who write history:  The winners.  Or equivalently, those who've commited genocide.

Violence is a birth right for all people.  But the dominant ones, the most powerful ones, always do it the most.  What's that saying?  Power corrupts, and absolute power...   Certain situations never fail to bring out evil in humans.

1.  All people are violent.
2.  It is "okay" for less violent people to call more violent people "violent", particularly if they are the victims of said violence.
3.  It is not okay for people of equal violence to refer to each other as "violent", for that is brazen hypocrisy.
4.  It is grotesque for the more (or most) violent people to call lesser violent people "violent".
5.  It is outright mind-blowing for genocidal maniacs to refer to their victims as "violent".

But I'm sure you know this. 

Anyhow, a certain someone here who refered to the Native Americans as "extremely violent" is under layers and layers of violent denial.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the US media is doing the same thing with Iraq, Iraqis, and Arabs in general now.

But you're right, it's time to get back on topic.  Wink

However, other groups of East Asians were a lot more sucessful that Vikings in coming to the Americans in recent times: the Inuits. I don't know why people always forget that Inuits reached Greenland before the Norse arrived there. Eurocentrism, I guess.

I've address this ealier, but forgot to say...

1.  I've seen some claims that they've been in North America for as long as 4000 to 6000 years.

2.  Do the inuit even want to be de-listed as non Native American, but rather listed as "immigrants"?  I don't think so. 

3.  Even if they were recent "immigrants", they do occupy land the Ameridians don't.

4.  There are some archaeologist who say Europeans came to the Americas well over 10,000 years ago.   This claim is based on the exact likeness of arrow and spear heads of Europe and the Americas.  The people who make this claim further say the immigrants came like the Vikings and left behind nothing culturally nor in genetically, they just died out but left behind their tool designs.  I find this claim to be a bit dubious, for it assumes people in two different places can't come up with the same idea, especially when that idea involves something as central as making the most basic tools for survival...  Tell  that to Newton and Leibniz!  Disapprove

National Geographic or Discovery Channel did a documentary on this and it included a segment on Kennewick man.  At the end, it called all peoples currently living in the Americas "immigrants".  This is down right laughable.  Because if that is the case, then Europe and every other place would be filled only with immigrants since man immigrated out of Africa.  By calling everyone an "immigrant", it completely delegitimizes the claims of Native Americans, the indigenous peoples.

Edited by TranHungDao - 12-Jun-2007 at 22:09
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2007 at 22:11

To Red Clay and TranHungDao:

Arrgh!  I said you were right and I was wrong several times now, didn't I? Angry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>