Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What if China found Mexico first?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if China found Mexico first?
    Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 23:10
Never had Mexican food before. You don't eat those in my country. I'd like to try it someday. I heard they can be quite spicy.

Join us.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 23:37
Nah! Mexican food is not spicy...

Well, actually, I grew up eating chili like if they were candy LOL
I remember when I lived in Canada I couldn't understand why some people found hot some sausages that I found so mild.

But, just ask without spices. Some Tacos, Burritos, Tamales, etc. Nice food.
The interesting thing is that Mexican food is mainly Native. And don't forget your tequila at the end.

In my case, I love Chinese food, Japanese food, beside our traditional local food, of course. I hope one day try some of your Korean foods as well.

Regards,

Pinguin

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 09:27
pekau and pinguin,

The really, really spicy food is the "Tex-Mex" type of the US southwest and the northern Mexican states.  Generally it is the usual north Mexican dishes, and variations, seasoned with the various incendiary chillis of that geographic region.

If you dine in the Tex-Mex restaurants of Dallas or San Antonio, you can get food that is so hot it can melt the wax in your ears.  Smile

In regions further south, it is not as hot, and near the two coasts, much excellent seafood. 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 22:59

That's quite interesting. Mex and Tex Mex foods are fascinating.

Now, in the matter of chilies, all peoples from the South West of the U.S. to Southern South Americas have chilies. Many varieties of it exist. Some are quite hot, others are not as much.
In Chile there is a special kind of Chili preparation knows as Merken, which is Mapuche Native in origin. It is cooked and powdered red hot chili paper. It is applied to food like if it were salt.

It is amazingly tasty.

Pinguin

Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 15:25
members , mods.

AE has the reputation of beeing a history forum , not a  chit -chatbox.  Is it possible to exchange recepies and  good adresses  in another  topic  or via PM? Wink
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 17:50

Mexican and Chinese foods are trascendent for history of humankind. I can justify that. Besides, Merken is a product with a long historical tradition.

Who said that history was boring? So, why we couldn't talk lively about the topic we like ? Wink
The_Jackal_God View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 15:20
just fyi, nobody south of the border in those northern states considers their food Tex-Mex.

that was too painful to read, i had to point it out.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 15:39
have you ever tried Nachos with Syrup? I guess that is what it mean by "Tex Mex" Big%20smile
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 14:33
Originally posted by pinguin

have you ever tried Nachos with Syrup? I guess that is what it mean by "Tex Mex" Big%20smile

Good God, should that be considered as food?

Join us.
TranHungDao View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2007 at 21:08
Originally posted by Voyager

Do you think that is a privilege of the Spanish? Do you think that America by the time of the arrival of the Europeans was a peaceful Paradise? Well, sorry to disapoint you, but Amerindians were extremely violent.  Did you know that the Spanish were helped by many Amerindians that hated their neighbours?

Ridiculous. 

They were violent yes, but extremely violent?   All of them?  Perhaps only the Aztec were, but then again, how are they different from the Romans?  Should the Romans have been exterminated too?

This is what the Europeans brought to America:  Violence and pestilence that killed off 98% of the indiginous people of America within 400 years of Columbus' discovery.  So many of these "violent" tribes were wiped out from the face of the Earth.

George Washington, the father of America, repeatedly committed genocide where he wiped out entire villages of Iroquois Indians, which of course would include women and children.

That fantasy about how the Pilgrims peacefully celebrated Thanksgiving with the Indians is just crap.  Because just a few years later, it was recorded that during one Thanksgiving celebration, the white settlers were using the decapitated head of an Indian as a soccer ball.

Don't talk about violence of others unless you balance it out with the violence of your own people, which is far worse.  The Europeans didn't only devastate the Native Americans:  Ever heard of the Trans Atlantic slave trade?  Colonialism?  The Opium trade?  Have you any idea the numbers that died from each of these forms violence and greed that more often than not included genocide?  Europeans and Americans didn't even start bathing regularly until about 150 years ago, or was it 100 years ago?!? Confused

Only the 13th Century Mongols can equal the violence of the Europeans in the colonial age up to WWII. 

But then again, America was pretty damn violent in Vietnam don't cha think?  And Iraq now?

Vietnam War:

1.  3-4 million Vietnamese killed
2.  3 times more bombs dropped in one tiny province of South Vietnam than in all of Europe in WWII.
3.  American GI's coming home with jars and jars of Vietnamese ears.
4.  US soldiers decapitating Vietnamese.  There's plenty of footage of Vietnamese being tortured by Americans.
5.  Millions of gallons of Agent Orange defoliate that still wreaks havoc on Vietnamese today.
6.  Ever heard of "free fire zones"?
7.  In Vietnam, the "Vietnam War" is referred to as the "American War".
8.  etc. etc. etc...

Iraq Wars:

1.  1980's:  Reagan-Bush admin arms Saddam with chemical and biological agents.  Saddam uses them on Iranians and Kurds.  Reagan protects Saddam at the UN.
2.  1991:   Hundreds of thousands killed, both civilian and military.
3.  1991-2003:  UN study says 800,000 children die from US led embargo.
4.   2003-2007:  Hundreds of thousands killed.  Hint:  It ain't all by the insurgents and jihadi's.  At least 100,000 killed by 2004, which was well before the insurgency began to peak.  Most of these were killed as a result of American bombs and bullets.  Now, it is far more likely that the insurgents are committing most of the mass murder against Iraqi civilians..., but not early on.  America deserves credit for genocide in 2003 and 2004, and still does no doubt.  It is just that the insurgency is now doing more of the killing of Iraqis themselves.  All of this is for naught, because the US will pull out leaving a bigger mess than was their under Saddam, whom they supported in the first place.
5.  The total number of Iraqi deaths from America or American meddling is already in the millions--and climbing!

There's a lot more about the Mideast you obviously don't know about, for if you did, you would be talking trash about the violent nature of Native Americans.

6.  You do know that the war is about oil, right?

Menzies theory is complete and utter crap.

Saying something is crap doesn't mean you've proven it is crap.

Finally, all this talk about the Chinese having reached the Americas before the Europeans is just wishful thinking with the objective of legitimating China's "peaceful rising" across the globe.

Why are you so offended by this theory?

FYI:  I'm Vietnamese, we don't particularly care much for the Chinese.  The same goes for all of China's neighbors.  Vietnam's smaller neighbors don't care much for the Vietnamese either, but this is natural, since next door neighbors often fight for the same resources.  What's that saying?  Familiarity breeds contempt.  However, the situation with China has always been a one sided thing:  China has been attacking Vietnam for over 2000 years.  I'm telling you this so that you can't accuse me of being pro-Chinese or of having any Asian soldiarity by anymeans.  Asian solidarity does not exist.

Well, sorry to disapoint you, but Amerindians were extremely violent.

Damn, you sound like Phil Sheridan!  Shocked

The only good indian is a dead indian!

--- Gen. Philip Sheridan, United States Army, 1869

Did you know that the Spanish were helped by many Amerindians that hated their neighbours?

This is just like those whites who say that the Africans also took part in the Trans-Atlantic slave trade.

It is nothing more than a defacto justification for slavery in the US.  Everybody's doin' it!

Just because you see two little kids fighting doesn't mean you can jump in, punch both of their lights out, and then rob them.  Confused 

Ever heard of divide and conquer?

For the last 500 years, the West has advanced big time on the backs of the rest of the world:  The plunder of the Americas with shipload after shipload of gold and silver going to build Europes great castles, cathedrals and universities.  And don't forget the plunder of Africa, Asia, and the ongoing one in the Mideast, where divide and conquer is constantly employed.

Nice.  Clap

But don't you worry your pretty little head none, because the era European domination is about to end--for better or worse.  As of now, I'm not sure which it will be.

--------------------------------------------

And lastly, dude calm down.  Besides, there's conclusive proof the Vikings were already in eastern Canada in the 11th Century.  Ermm
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2007 at 21:21

Red Clay

Read again previous posts. You'll find ample evidence that China did not reach America.

"Ample evidence"?  On an internet blog?  LOL 

Get some scholarly citations first.

Flyingzone

I'm picking on you because you've been insisting more than others about the Chinese thesis. On the other side, I already said before that there is no point in discussing a thesis that has been proved wrong. That is the purpose of a forum, in case you don't know, and not insisting in false thesis. That attitude of your only makes me suspect that you have a political motivation for that. Also, don't play the victim in order to get from the others more sympathy.

Argumentum ad hominem - attacking the person.

Looks like somebody is lecturing from inside a glass house.  LOL

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2007 at 23:04
Well, Europeans were extremely cruel against Amerindians, indeed. I can tell you a horror movie story just recalling what the Spaniards did against Native Americans in theirs wars.

However, some data above in wrong. It is false that 98% of Amerindian perish of disseases. If that would have happened, there wouldn't be Native Americans, Mestizos and Samboes in the Americas at all, and they are plenty. 70 millions of pure Amerindians still exist in the hemisphere and there are hundred of millions of Mestizos, that make perhaps the largest racial mixture in the hemisphere.

Even in DR, Cuba and Puerto Rico, where history books say Natives were driven into extiction, the true is most of the population today has Amerindian blood. What happened? Assimilation is the right word.

With respect to genocide, there was some very cruel actions, particularly in the United States of today. However, even though, people usually downplay the fact that lots of Amerindians become mainstream through intermarriage.

For some strange reason I don't realize, the mixtures of Amerindian and Whites usually assimilated to Europeans, and they never wanted to recall the Amerindian origin of part of the family. It was a shameful rememberance that was forgotten and forbidden. But DNA tells another history.

However, it is true the Europeans were very cruel against Amerindians, Africans and Asians. From the invasion of the Americas, the explotation of Black slaves, to the traffic of Opium in China, and to the mass genocide of 50 million people in WW II, Europeans show clearly they weren't as civilized as they try us to believe.

Pinguin

Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2007 at 23:42
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Although I do not know much about Chinese history, my guess is that it would be primarily for economic expansion, since by the 15th century, the beginnings of European ascendancy towards dominance was becoming apparent to many Asian civilizations.  Religious conversion does not seem feasible, since there was no imperative in Chinese religion (Buddhism/Confucianism?) to convert non-believers as there was in medieval Catholicism.  As far as territory goes, gaining more of it was probably not a priority since China was already fairly large as compared to most European kingdoms.

I don't think it would have been that early.  Even in 1728, China was still the richest and most powerful country in the world.

The European domination starts with the Italian Renaissance--at least the intellectual component. 

But the real domination began with the colonial period, i.e. guns & ammo.  It was European technology which grew from European science/intellectual developments that enable Europe to conquer Asia.  East Asia, the Mideast and India was definitely stronger than Africa and the Americas.

But remember, around 1600, Francis Bacon wrote that the three most important inventions were:  Gun powder, the magnetic compass, and the printing press.  All of these were invented by China.

I don't know if you've noticed, but East Asia is now turning the tables on the West.  They're borrowing Western technology and running away with it.  Ever heard of the "Asian century"?  It's more like the Asian millenia. 

India is doing this too, to a lesser extent, and hopefully the Americas, Africa, and the Mideast will jump  in too.

Every dog has his day.  For Europe, it has been the last 500 years, or 250 depending how you look at it.  Prior to that, it was East Asia, namely China going back to Han times, or at least the fall of Rome.  Prior to that, it was the Mideast or India.  Even Subharan Africans once dominated Egypt.  Like I said, every dog has his day.

Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Originally posted by ITZOCELOTL

and would the Chinese have  commited genocide, rape, destruction of culture, destruction of cities, destruction of  religion, stealing of gold and wealth, and pure chaotic death as the Spaniards did?

Originally posted by Adan'ta

Zheng He was a Muslim, so he would've undoubtedly wanted to "kill the infidels," much like the Christians did when they arrived{...}Remember, the Chinese also possessed horses, germs and steel at this point (and I believe guns as well).

We would probably have to start by looking at how the Chinese treated peoples who were ethnically and linguistically different than them.  They considered the Mongols and Turkic tribes who lived in Central Asia to be barbarians because of their crude and rugged lifestyles.  Eventually Chinese culture and language usurped that of the conquering Mongols when they adopted it as a new dynasty.  And, of course, the Chinese cast a wary gaze upon the Europeans and their "strange" culture and restricted their influence. 

My guess is that the Chinese would consider the Native Americans in the same way as the Turkic tribesmen - that they were barbarians and their influence was undesirable in a more refined Chinese society. 

IF the hypothetical Chinese colony is established in Central America, would this be the policy that they would use in respect to the Native Americans?

One must always remember that China is more like a continent, or rather two continents, when you measure it by population size.  For ages, China has been so busy trying to dominate its next door neighbors, or even often being conquered by them (Mongols, Manchus), or repeatedly defeated by them (Vietnamese, etc.), that they couldn't afford to have distant colonies.  Nor did they need to possess such distant colonies, since they were always so rich compared to Europe.  Perhaps most important is the fact that the Chinese emperors were always fearful of internal rebellions.  The point is, they had their hands full with domestic and next door issues to even contemplate having to deal with problems from far flung colonies half way around the world.

Having said that, one can still ask hypotheticallyWhat if they actually did colonize the Americas?  Would they be as brutal?  My opinion?  Probably not.  Brutal, yes, but not to the same extent.  Look at how the Chinese empire expanded.  Look at Vietnam:  They annexed and sinocized Vietnam.  It was brutal since conquest is always so, but not genocidal.

Of course, I could be wrong.  The PRC on the other hand has been very brutal by proxy, i.e. their client states in Cambodia (the killing fields) and North Korea (gulags, diabolical human testing using chemical and biological agents, rampant rumors of cannibalism, etc.) says a lot about them.

The USA is only brutal to countries which refuse to bow down to it (Vietnam, Iraq, etc.), but the PRC is brutal to its friends.  The USSR was not brutal to its friends, just those that refused to bow down to it, i.e. Afghanistan.  And by brutal, I mean relative to how they treat their own citizens vs how they treat those that don't obey their holier-than-thou & superior-to-all orders.  Of course, Mao is responsible for the deaths of 10's of millions of Chinese.

Another factor to consider is:  Far from home, things do tend to get our of hand more easily.

Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2007 at 23:44

However, some data above in wrong. It is false that 98% of Amerindian perish of disseases. If that would have happened, there wouldn't be Native Americans, Mestizos and Samboes in the Americas at all, and they are plenty. 70 millions of pure Amerindians still exist in the hemisphere and there are hundred of millions of Mestizos, that make perhaps the largest racial mixture in the hemisphere.

The 98% figure was for America only.
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2007 at 23:56
Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

From my personal point of view , I see no influence from the chinese on Mesoamerican cultures ( no iron tools, artfifacts or the reference of horses ). This hipotesis sounds to me like the flavor of the day, but we still have to be open to discuss in a mature manner and accept others point of view.

There's definitive proof the Vikings settled in eastern Canada, for several years if not decades.  They just picked up and left.  There's strong evidence they traded with the natives because parts of trees that don't grow in Canada were found amongst the ruins, i.e. they got if from the natives thru trade.

The Vikings didn't leave any imprint upon the Native American despite this long stint in Canada.

Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

I personally do not get agree with the idea about the Chinese discovered the Americas.

Me?  I don't know what to make of it.  Chinese scholarship can be pretty shoddy (nationalistic).  But if it is clearly and unambiguouly in the ancient records, then it definitely deserves a look.

Lastly, even if they did "discover" America before Columbus or the Vikings...  Who the heck cares?!?  Ask the Native Americans who discovered America?  And they'll give you quite a different answer, indeed an earful, telling Europeans and Asians to go back from whence they came.  And good riddanceClapLOL

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2007 at 00:05
Originally posted by TranHungDao

...The 98% figure was for America only.

It is also wrong for the U.S.
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2007 at 00:07

However, some data above in wrong. It is false that 98% of Amerindian perish of disseases.

Actually I said both actual genocide as well as diseases killed them off.  Although European diseases were the main culprit.

Anyway, I kind of have a source for you:

"By conservative estimates, the population of the United states prior to European contact was greater than 12 million. Four centuries later, the count was reduced by 95% to 237 thousand.

Credits: Sharon Johnston, The Genocide of Native Americans: A Sociological View, 1996.

Link:  http://www.iearn.org/hgp/aeti/aeti-1997/native-americans.html

This was actually written by a highschool kid.  Confused

However, she does cite Sharon Johnston, The Genocide of Native Americans: A Sociological View, 1996.

Anyhow, this kid/Sharon Johnston claims it is 95%.

I've seen other similar estimates, namely 98%.  Cry

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2007 at 00:09

...Lastly, even if they did "discover" America before Columbus or the Vikings...  Who the heck cares?!?  Ask the Native Americans who discovered America?  And they'll give you quite a different answer, indeed an earful, telling Europeans and Asians to go back from whence they came.  And good riddanceClapLOL

Actually, that's what Amerindians thing of Europeans, Africans and Asians living in the Americas: "leave us alone" LOLLOLLOL

Now, that Chineses came to the Americas before columbus is doubtful, or perhaps is just not proven as yet.

However, other groups of East Asians were a lot more sucessful that Vikings in coming to the Americans in recent times: the Inuits. I don't know why people always forget that Inuits reached Greenland before the Norse arrived there. Eurocentrism, I guess.

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2007 at 00:13

However, some data above in wrong. It is false that 98% of Amerindian perish of disseases.

Actually I said both actual genocide as well as diseases killed them off.  Although European diseases were the main culprit.

Anyway, I kind of have a source for you:

"By conservative estimates, the population of the United states prior to European contact was greater than 12 million. Four centuries later, the count was reduced by 95% to 237 thousand.

Credits: Sharon Johnston, The Genocide of Native Americans: A Sociological View, 1996.

Link:  http://www.iearn.org/hgp/aeti/aeti-1997/native-americans.html

This was actually written by a highschool kid.  Confused

However, she does cite Sharon Johnston, The Genocide of Native Americans: A Sociological View, 1996.

Anyhow, this kid/Sharon Johnston claims it is 95%.

I've seen other similar estimates, namely 98%.  Cry

Those high figures are very doubtfull. Haven't you heared of the "number chrunching" debate on the population of the Americas?

The fact is that North America had a very low population density at contact, like the Amazons. Do you know the Amazon at its peak didn't have more than 300.000 people? and that Patagonia has about 4.000?
The U.S. perhaps had as much people as the Amazons at contact.

The true is that North America was flood with foreigners. And that was the main cause Amerindians diminish theirs number proportionally. Mixing played a role as well.

Pinguin

Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2007 at 00:23

Actually, that's what Amerindians thing of Europeans, Africans and Asians living in the Americas: "leave us alone" LOLLOLLOL

Eh, Africans were brought here in chains.  Confused

Most African Americans do have some Indian blood thru intermarriage and whatnot.

However, other groups of East Asians were a lot more sucessful that Vikings in coming to the Americans in recent times: the Inuits. I don't know why people always forget that Inuits reached Greenland before the Norse arrived there. Eurocentrism, I guess.

I'm not sure if you can classify Inuits as such.  They've been here for a very long time.  There's been three separate pre-Viking, pre-Columbian human migrations to the Americas.  I always thought that the Inuit migrations were considered as one of these.

Here's something on Native American lands being conficated over the centuries:

WHERE DID ALL THE INDIANS GO?

Addressing the "Removal" of Native Americans,
and the Subversion of Natural Culture

By Jerry Mander

From the late 18th to the late 19th centuries, the United States made 370 formal treaties with Indian nations, following the same procedure of congressional and presidential approval that was followed for treaties with France or Great Britain. The fact that we violated virtually all of these Indian treaties resulted from our feeling that we could get away with such violations.

Another shocking fact was that very few of the students were aware of the degree to which, or how recently, Indian lands had been expropriated. Between 1776 and the late 1800s, Indian land holdings were reduced by about 95 percent, from about three million to 200,000 square miles. This was accomplished in a variety of ways, from massacres to duplicitous treaty-making. Some treaties exacted land cessions in exchange for guarantees of safety and permanent reserves, but these treaties were soon violated. Usually the Indians were driven off because the settlers wanted gold or farmland or mineral rights or railroad rights. Wherever there was resistance, the cavalry insured compliance. All of this was in the cause of Manifest Destiny: God willed it.

Link:
  http://www.worldfreeinternet.net/archive/arc12.htm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>