Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What if China found Mexico first?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Yum Kaax Pakal View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yum Kaax Pakal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if China found Mexico first?
    Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 08:44

Originally posted by Scytho-Sarmatian

We'd be eating egg rolls instead of burritos.

Burritos are an United States invention, such as the Chop Suey....here in Mxico we dont eat that..

TONEYO, TOTAHUCA MEXICA!!
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 11:47

Since the title of the thread indicates that a certain degree of hypothetical analysis is involved, maybe we should look at this from a strictly "what-if" standpoint.  That is, starting from the vantage point that the Chinese emperor has shown an interest in expansion and is willing to see the expedition through to its conclusion. 

We could start by determining what the reasons are, consistent with Chinese history, that China would establish a colony in Central America, perhaps comparing them with the Spanish reasons.  Would it be economic expansion, religious conversion, territorial expansion, or a combination of all? 

Although I do not know much about Chinese history, my guess is that it would be primarily for economic expansion, since by the 15th century, the beginnings of European ascendancy towards dominance was becoming apparent to many Asian civilizations.  Religious conversion does not seem feasible, since there was no imperative in Chinese religion (Buddhism/Confucianism?) to convert non-believers as there was in medieval Catholicism.  As far as territory goes, gaining more of it was probably not a priority since China was already fairly large as compared to most European kingdoms.

Originally posted by ITZOCELOTL

and would the Chinese have  commited genocide, rape, destruction of culture, destruction of cities, destruction of  religion, stealing of gold and wealth, and pure chaotic death as the Spaniards did?

Originally posted by Adan'ta

Zheng He was a Muslim, so he would've undoubtedly wanted to "kill the infidels," much like the Christians did when they arrived{...}Remember, the Chinese also possessed horses, germs and steel at this point (and I believe guns as well).

We would probably have to start by looking at how the Chinese treated peoples who were ethnically and linguistically different than them.  They considered the Mongols and Turkic tribes who lived in Central Asia to be barbarians because of their crude and rugged lifestyles.  Eventually Chinese culture and language usurped that of the conquering Mongols when they adopted it as a new dynasty.  And, of course, the Chinese cast a wary gaze upon the Europeans and their "strange" culture and restricted their influence. 

My guess is that the Chinese would consider the Native Americans in the same way as the Turkic tribesmen - that they were barbarians and their influence was undesirable in a more refined Chinese society.  They would build a wall around the colony (much like the Great Wall) to restrict access; and, if the Natives acted up, the governor of the colony would strike in the name of the emperor's mandate from heaven, to maintain order.

As far as Zheng He's being a Muslim having any bearing on how the Chinese would treat the natives, I don't think it would have much.  He was just one Muslim in a minority body in China.  There would not be a strong notion of Jihad in this small group as compared to the central role it had in Arab or Turkish Ghazi society.  Zheng He was probably more interested in the lucrative trading possibilities and the prestige of being a successful explorer than the prospect of getting 72 virgins in paradise!

Originally posted by flyingzone

Just to take a more realistic example, the Ming Empire never committed any atrocities in the Ryukyu Kingdom (present day Okinawa). It did exert quite a lot of influence on the Ryukyu royal court which actually saw a lot of advantages in being the Empire's vassal state both politically and economically.

IF the hypothetical Chinese colony is established in Central America, would this be the policy that they would use in respect to the Native Americans?

Edited by Byzantine Emperor
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 14:12

Glad someone is bringing this thread "on track".

Personally, IF (a big if) the Chinese had indeed "found" Mexico, I doubt they would have set up a colony there. There are two reasons for my argument. First, such a colony would be too far away from the "Middle Kingdom", so economically speaking, it's just not sustainable if the colony was to maintain its links with the Chinese Empire. Second, we also have to understand the mentality of the Chinese back then - they were extremely ethnocentric (e.g. as mentioned by Byzantine, they considered all the peoples around them "barbarians" and had nothing to contribute to the Empire) and they believed that their Empire had everything they needed. The mission of even Zheng He's expendition was not really for trade, let alone for colonial expansion; it's to show the world the might and the wealth of the Ming Empire. That explains why while Zheng He's fleet had unquestionably reached East Africa (which was relatively more accessible than Mexico from the Chinese point of view), they didn't set up any colony or trading post there. They just went there, took a peek, captured some giraffes, and went home.   

Could the Chinese have treated the Native Americans the way they treated the Okinawans (i.e. setting up a vassal state there)? I doubt that too. Again, it has something to do with geography. The Ryukyu Kingdom was close enough geographically speaking to the Chinese Empire to be of any significance (mainly symbolic) to the latter to make it into one of its vassal states. 

So my guess is, if the Chinese had indeed arrived at North America before any European explorer, they would just have been there, taken a quick peek, maybe captured a moose or something, and then returned home.   Most probably no massacre of the Native people.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 16:28

So my guess is, if the Chinese had indeed arrived at North America before any European explorer, they would just have been there, taken a quick peek, maybe captured a moose or something, and then returned home.   Most probably no massacre of the Native people.

I agree with your assesment in most respects, but I do think that a Chinese visit to the Americas could have proved almost as catastrophic to the natives because of the possibility of bringing disease.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 17:25

The mission of even Zheng He's expendition was not really for trade, let alone for colonial expansion; it's to show the world the might and the wealth of the Ming Empire.

Good point.  I forgot that the real (main) purpose of Zheng He's expedition was to flaunt the wealth of the Ming Empire.  One only has to look at the size of the ships themselves to see this fact!

They just went there, took a peek, captured some giraffes, and went home.

Originally posted by Decebal

I agree with your assesment in most respects, but I do think that a Chinese visit to the Americas could have proved almost as catastrophic to the natives because of the possibility of bringing disease.

Yes, this is right.  The Native Americans were not immune to the smallpox and plague that the Europeans brought; this is what caused a good proportion of the damage the the native population.  Would the Chinese have brought the same diseases - i.e. small pox and influenza?

Voyager View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Voyager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 06:14

Personally, IF (a big if) the Chinese had indeed "found" Mexico

Why do you keep insisting in this, when it is has been proved again and again that the Chinese did not reach America.

Most probably no massacre of the Native people.

Here's the reason why: you want to legitimate through an invented history that China's contemporary ascension to a global power is peaceful and not brutal. If you think that brutality is typical of the Europeans you're wrong. Just look to what contemporary China is doing in Tibet: a cultural genocide and a colonization with Han settlers. 

Get real.

Edited by Voyager
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 08:28
[QUOTE=Voyager] [

Why do you keep insisting in this, when it is has
been proved again and again that the Chinese did
not reach America.

Proven? How, by whom, when, sources. You have
stated this before and didn't supply any backing then
either.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 10:02
Originally posted by Voyager

Personally, IF (a big if) the Chinese had indeed "found" Mexico

Why do you keep insisting in this, when it is has been proved again and again that the Chinese did not reach America.

Most probably no massacre of the Native people.

Here's the reason why: you want to legitimate through an invented history that China's contemporary ascension to a global power is peaceful and not brutal. If you think that brutality is typical of the Europeans you're wrong. Just look to what contemporary China is doing in Tibet: a cultural genocide and a colonization with Han settlers. 

Get real.

Voyager, I've tried to be extremely polite and civil with you but I am really losing patience with you and I am pretty sure those who've read your posts feel the same too. First of all, among everyone that's contributing to this thread, why are you just picking on  me???? I am not even the person who started this thread. I am just one of the contributers.

Second, PLEASE read the title of this thread (which wasn't started by me) again. It is a hypothetical question and we are now engaging in a discussion here. If you don't know the meaning and spirit of discussions, maybe you shouldn't even come to AE in the first place if you are so insistent that everything you say and believe in is the absolute truth and everyone else's opinion is just garbage.

When and where did I claim that the Chinese would not and have not committed brutalities in other situations? When and where did I claim that brutality is the monopoly of Western imperialists? All we are doing now is talking about this particular hypothetical case. No one can be absolutely right or wrong when we are talking about a hypothesis. Is it that hard for you to distinguish between a hypothesis and reality?  

Get real.

Voyager View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Voyager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 11:51

Red Clay

Read again previous posts. You'll find ample evidence that China did not reach America.

Flyingzone

I'm picking on you because you've been insisting more than others about the Chinese thesis. On the other side, I already said before that there is no point in discussing a thesis that has been proved wrong. That is the purpose of a forum, in case you don't know, and not insisting in false thesis. That attitude of your only makes me suspect that you have a political motivation for that. Also, don't play the victim in order to get from the others more sympathy.

Edited by Voyager
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 12:30

If there's a need to close a thread, it's definitely not up to you to decide. It's up to the moderators. You can only contribute posts here - in a intelligent, civil, and tolerant manner. So far I see none of that in your posts and in your attitude.

In case you didn't notice this, most of the forumers who participate in this thread have an open-minded attitude whether he or she agrees or disagrees with the hypothesis. (By the way, nothing is life, let alone a "hypothesis, can be "proven" for sure. Your lack of understanding of this simple notion demonstrates you need more formal education.) You stand out from the rest of us in your shocking narrow-mindedness, utter lack of intellectual curiosity, and annoying absence of civility and respect for other people.  

Political motivation? What the hell are you talking about??? For as far as I can see, you ARE the one who has this inexplicable (and probably racist-motivated) Eurocentric view of the world that forbids anyone to challenge. If you bother to expand your intellectual curiosity a little more and read other threads in other sections, you should have noticed that I am the one consistently denouncing "centrism" of any sort, above all sinocentrism.  

No one is playing victim here and no one needs to gain sympathy. In case you didn't notice it, AE is not a school playground. Grow up, kiddo.

Voyager View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Voyager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 18:05

If there's a need to close a thread, it's definitely not up to you to decide. It's up to the moderators.

I never said that this thread should be closed. That only happens when the forum rules are breached. But you could certainly stop posting here.

You can only contribute posts here - in a intelligent, civil, and tolerant manner. So far I see none of that in your posts and in your attitude.

Well, I am glad to find that you like to read my posts. Thanks.

In case you didn't notice this, most of the forumers who participate in this thread have an open-minded attitude whether he or she agrees or disagrees with the hypothesis.

Open-minded? This is one of the most bigoted foruns I know in the net.

(By the way, nothing is life, let alone a "hypothesis, can be "proven" for sure. Your lack of understanding of this simple notion demonstrates you need more formal education.)

Nothing can be proved "right", but a lot of rubbish can be proved wrong.  A piece of advice: don't play the intellectual with me.

You stand out from the rest of us in your shocking narrow-mindedness, utter lack of intellectual curiosity, and annoying absence of civility and respect for other people.

Argumentum ad hominem - attacking the person.

Political motivation? What the hell are you talking about??? For as far as I can see, you ARE the one who has this inexplicable (and probably racist-motivated) Eurocentric view of the world that forbids anyone to challenge.

Everyone is "centric" on something. That is what is called identity. Also, unlike what you say, I study others' ideas; however, I don't usually agree with them.

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 18:10
I believe that this topic should be in historical amusment
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 19:14
I feel compelled to intervene here. It's a fun atmosphere, Voyager - there's no need to get all bent out of shape . You're acting a bit immature - just loosen up, and respect the opinions of others. Chances are, you're not going to change anyone's views in this post, and no one's going to change your views. We're all entitled - let's here each other out and have some quality discussions =D.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 23:09
Dear Voyager,

To speak simply, if you don't like this forum, you may leave.

Please note that you were given a warning in the past and thus any actions deemed to violate forum rules may result in a ban without another warning. This includes needlessly provoking others forum members and disrupting the forum environment.
The Charioteer View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 13:40

would the Chinese have commited genocide, rape, destruction of culture, destruction of cities, destruction of  religion, stealing of gold and wealth, and pure chaotic death as the Spaniards did? Or would the Chinese simply share their culture with the Mexicans and the Mexicans share theirs and begin trade between the two nations?

It will depend on what specific circumstances are, for instance, ZhengHe used military force in Sri Lanka, because it is said the ruler of it tried to plunder the treasures the fleet carried, another time Ming fleet used its military was around Singapore area, when a pirate fleet led by a Chinese tried to do the same to the treasure fleets. Those were self-defensive battles.

Interestingly, while the treasure fleets also encountered hostile attacks from the Indonesians, which more than 100 Ming crews were killed by locals, but ZhengHe didnt order military retaliation, instead he learned political situation in Indonesia well, which at the time was split by two rival kings. ZhengHe supported the faction that didnt attack his fleet to eliminate the hostile faction which attacked his fleet. As result, the troublesome king is removed without unnecessary further loss of Ming manpower, at the same time strengthened the political ties with the Indonesian government without causing hatred towards Chinese by slaughtering the local population. ZhengHe wanted to make sure their later travel route is save and easy, thus handling of  local affairs needs to be well-judged.

Because Mexican route is only a what if, so the answer might be asked reversely, how would the pre-Columbian Mexicans had greeted Chinese, if the Chinese would not be the first to appear hostile? Given the general pattern of ZhengHe's fleet from southeast Asia to East-Africa.

Some Western historicans argue that ZhengHe's fleet was not peaceful.

Western historians argue this notion often cite a major evidence from Qing dynasty recomposed Ming history annual, which stateZhengHe's west ocean voyageswas to to show Chinese military power overseas. But the original Ming offical handwritings regarding the purpose of ZhengHe's voyages which later Qing based on, actually stated to show China's prestige (and public reliance )overseas. The Qing officals who recomposed the history annuals changed the original word meaning prestige to military , which rather reflect Qing's foreign policy during the period(which at the time was ruled by QianLong who favors military) than ZhengHe's original intention.

In 1421 documentary series, the historian even emphasized that the Chinese put a foreign king(Sri Lanka) in a wooden cage which was for animals, as to let Western audience to think, that the Chinese had no respect for even the high status personage from other cultures, and treated them as animals(put into cage looked like a one for animals), then how could be their voyages be considered peaceful?

But the answer is rather simple, Chinese personages, no matter once prime minister or high officals were put into similar wooden cages, its the standard treatment for the prisoners. The Sri Lanka king was offensive towards the Ming fleet, he was defeated and captured, and treated like anyother Chinese prisoners. Besides the historian doesnt even mention the fact Ming fleet was self-defensive. If this example should be used as demonstration to how Chinese treated foreign peoples during ZhengHe's voyages, then he needs to further explain why Ming fleet brought envoys and kings to China from more than 30 states, and they were not treated as prisoner but honored guests, the tomb of the King of brunei(who died while visiting China) bulit by the Ming(still in China today) is a physical evidence to refute such assertion of Chinese threat

Edited by The Charioteer
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 18:34

A consideration-      Less than 60 miles separates Asia from the Americas. [the Bering strait]  Would it not be likely that one would know the other was there?

Further, the striking similarities in decorative art styles of China and the North and South American native cultures is too much to be discounted lightly.

Edited by red clay
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Voyager View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Voyager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 19:13
Originally posted by red clay

A consideration-      Less than 60 miles separates Asia from the Americas. [the Bering strait]  Would it not be likely that one would know the other was there?

It is easy to look today to a map and make that observation. But hundreds of years ago, people simply did not know what was beyond their lands and, in many cases, simply did not care. All they wanted was to continue to live their lives in their own lands. It is still very much the same these days. On the other hand, the distance from China to Mexico is considerably longer: half of the world.

Further, the striking similarities in decorative art styles of China and the North and South American native cultures is too much to be discounted lightly.

As far as I know, China's and America's arts are literally worlds apart. However, I'd appreciate if you could post some examples that you consider too much similar.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 19:33

I have several, however I'm having difficulty getting them to upload, have patience, please.  BTW Traveling to Mexico by hugging the coast from Alaska to the south would be logistically much more possible than a direct crossing of the Pacific, It's known that the Inuit did it in kayaks.  [to California, not Mexico]

Unknown.
Voyager View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Voyager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 19:51
Originally posted by red clay

Traveling to Mexico by hugging the coast from Alaska to the south would be logistically much more possible than a direct crossing of the Pacific

Yes, they could, but what was their motivation? The Europeans explored America and Africa because they wanted to reach India. On the other hand, taking in consideration the scale of a voyage along the Pacific coast of North Asia and North America in order to reach Mexico, there would be a need of logistic bases to give support to that voyage. Where are they?
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 19:39
Originally posted by The Charioteer

] It will depend on what specific circumstances are, for instance, ZhengHe used military force in Sri Lanka, because it is said the ruler of it tried to plunder the treasures the fleet carried, another time Ming fleet used its military was around Singapore area, when a pirate fleet led by a Chinese tried to do the same to the treasure fleets. Those were self-defensive battles.

Interestingly, while the treasure fleets also encountered hostile attacks from the Indonesians, which more than 100 Ming crews were killed by locals, but ZhengHe didnt order military retaliation, instead he learned political situation in Indonesia well, which at the time was split by two rival kings. ZhengHe supported the faction that didnt attack his fleet to eliminate the hostile faction which attacked his fleet. As result, the troublesome king is removed without unnecessary further loss of Ming manpower, at the same time strengthened the political ties with the Indonesian government without causing hatred towards Chinese by slaughtering the local population. ZhengHe wanted to make sure their later travel route is save and easy, thus handling of  local affairs needs to be well-judged.

Wow, this is interesting in terms of the military capabilities of Zheng He and his fleet. 

What kind of military power did he bring along with him on the voyages?  Were there marines for boarding other ships, or did he bring a small army with him, since the ships were so big that they probably could have contained a small army?  I am not too well-versed in Chinese history, so what would a 15th century Ming soldier be armored and equipped with, anyways?

I read something recently (a set of lectures delivered by the Sinologist J.J.L. Duyvendak), and it said that Zheng He demolished a gate and part of the city walls of a city on the coast of East Africa.  The great ships were floating off the coast and firing their bombard cannon.  That is pretty much all it said about the fleet's armaments.

Edited by Byzantine Emperor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>