Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What if China found Mexico first?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Voyager View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Voyager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if China found Mexico first?
    Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 05:18

flyingzone

Your theory is so weak, that it could be argued instead that it were the Amerindians that found China, with Chinese culture being brought from America. Is it so hard to accept that Amerindians developed their own civilizations without outside help?

flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 07:33

I think I made it abundantly clear that that's NOT my theory. I found some information on the Net and I just wanted to share with the forumers here.

BTW, I don't think you read my summary of that article very carefully. It doesn't claim that the Chinese helped to develop the Amerindian civilizations. It says various civilized societies had already been in existence there when the Chinese allegedly arrived there. It even goes as far as the Chinese borrowed some religious symbols from the Amerindians.

Please don't assume that everyone who's interested in the possibility of any Asian presence in pre-Columbian Americans is a sinocentrist. One can look at this interesting question from many different angles.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 08:27
Fu-Sang was described as a country where there where chariots, pulled by large animals. The pre-Columbian Americas neither knew weels (at least not for propulsion) nor draught animals. Also '20.000 li' was usually used metaphorically, meaning 'very far away' So it's not likely that Fu-Sang is America. (source: P.Verhoog, De ontdekking van Amerika voor Columbus)

Edited by Mixcoatl
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 09:05

I think when one's refuting a theory or hypothesis, one should provide some arguments (like the one provided by Mixcoatl - very good point BTW) instead of just saying things like "the theory is weak" or "the theory is crappy" with no substantiation. The idea behind any good discussions is of course to exchange opinions, but good opinions are based on facts or arguments.

For instance, in the case of Prof. Wei's theory (which I don't honestly know much about), he seems to rely a lot on ancient Chinese texts that I am sure most of us do not know anything about. This guy has been devoting himself in digging out and dicephering ancient Chinese texts for over 4 decades. I think for us lay people to dismiss his work using just an adjective "weak" is doing him and the research community a whole a huge injustice (even though he may be entirely wrong).

And for those of us who don't know much about ancient Chinese texts specifically, maybe we could instead ask constructive questions like, "How much should we trust ancient texts like those?" For instance, I don't know about the two ancient texts - San Guo Zhi and Liang Shu used by Wei here, but I have heard of another ancient text called Shang Hai Jing which has in fact generated a lot of interests from Chinese and non-Chinese scholars alike. A lot of research on this text has been done and scholars have been able to come up with interesting hypotheses, for instance, on pre-historic Korea and pre-historic Southeast Asia.  

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 10:52
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Fu-Sang was described as a country where there where chariots, pulled by large animals. The pre-Columbian Americas neither knew weels (at least not for propulsion) nor draught animals. Also '20.000 li' was usually used metaphorically, meaning 'very far away' So it's not likely that Fu-Sang is America. (source: P.Verhoog, De ontdekking van Amerika voor Columbus)

Also AFAIK, the Li is not a constant unit, its exact length varies durign different time peroids. Leaving wide scope for pick and mix distances.
Arrrgh!!"
Voyager View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Voyager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 13:29

flyingzone

I think when one's refuting a theory or hypothesis, one should provide some arguments (like the one provided by Mixcoatl - very good point BTW) instead of just saying things like "the theory is weak" or "the theory is crappy" with no substantiation.

I think I was very explicit in my comment about the theory you posted on the Chinese being weak: it's because the way you put it, the roles could be easily inversed, being the Amerindians who discovered China instead.

Edited by Voyager
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 14:15
Originally posted by Voyager

I think I was very explicit in my comment about the theory you posted on the Chinese being weak: it's because the way you put it, the roles could be easily inversed, being the Amerindians who discovered China instead.

Can you explain your intriguing theory? Even though it sounds highly implausible, based on the spirit of intelligent discussions, I would at least like to know your logic and see how you reached that conclusion (e.g. ancient text records? artefacts? technologies?).

If you ask my personal opinion on the possibility of contacts between the people of ancient China and those of pre-Columbian America, I would actually say that the chance is pretty slim anyhow, regardless of which direction it's coming from.  However, given the level of technology of the two civilizations present at that time, if there had indeed been some contact made, there was a greater chance of the Chinese visiting the Americas rather than vice versa.

I think sound hypotheses, most of the time, come from good commonsense.

Voyager View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Voyager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 14:26
Originally posted by flyingzone

If you ask my personal opinion on the possibility of contacts between the people of ancient China and those of pre-Columbian America, I would actually say that the chance is pretty slim

Then why do you keep insisting on such contact, post after post?

Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 14:40

Then why do you keep insisting on such contact, post after post?

First, the last time I checked, it's what this thread is about, isn't it? (What do you mean by post after post? The previous one I posted was several weeks ago, and it was about Australia ...)

Second, why are you forbidding what I should or should not post (as long as I am not posting anything offensive to anyone - unless the idea of the possibility of the Chinese having visited pre-Columbian Americas is offensive to you for some bizarre reason)?

Third, I am in general just interested in the possible/plausible contacts between ancient peoples. I just find the idea fascinating. Is that offensive to you too?  

Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 14:48

Voyager, what is this hostility about?   We are all just trying to talk about stuff that we're all interested in. We may not agree with other people's opinion all the time, but there are many ways to show disagreement. You don't have to sound so angry and hostile all the time!?! Take it easy, relaxed, and have some fun talking about history!!!

Voyager View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Voyager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 16:00

Third, I am in general just interested in the possible/plausible contacts between ancient peoples. I just find the idea fascinating. Is that offensive to you too?  

Well, that topic also interests me too, but I am not going to push things too far by defending theories whose evidence is non-existent. Either in this forum and elsewhere it was proved several times that the Chinese did not sail beyond the Indian Ocean.

On the other side, there are many other voyages that are known to have taken place between ancient peoples but whose details are little known. Why don't you do some research on them and share your knowledge with us? 

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 18:48

Zone, I believe Voyagers hostility might come
from you not accepting his counters to your points,
and folding quietly.

In the past fifteen years there have been several
accountsof Chinese archeologists opening
undisturbed tombs, ca 2000bce and finding peanuts
and peanut shells, squash seeds and even traces of
cocaine in pottery containers. All of these are native
to central and s. america.

On the idea of Amerindians discovering China,
sure, it's possible, show me some evidence that
Amerindians had developed ocean going vessels
and I would take it more seriously.

There is more evidence pointing to the chinese
being in N. America at an early date than to the
contrary.

Zone- Maybe Voyager got ahold of some
Szechuan that didn't sit well.

Edited by red clay
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 20:01

Well, that topic also interests me too, but I am not going to push things too far by defending theories whose evidence is non-existent. Either in this forum and elsewhere it was proved several times that the Chinese did not sail beyond the Indian Ocean.

On the other side, there are many other voyages that are known to have taken place between ancient peoples but whose details are little known. Why don't you do some research on them and share your knowledge with us? 

I am glad we have some common interests. Let's keep our discussions courteous and civil   I am very very very tired of the quarrelsome atmosphere here and elsewhere. All I want is just to discuss interesting issues and share opinions with people without having to get into pointless arguments and fights with people whom I don't even know. We are civil to most people we meet in the real world (I hope), so why should we act differently when we are in the virtual world?

If there is anything I say that offends you, please send me a private message to let me know instead of turning an interesting thread like this into a forum to put me down. I will apologize if indeed I've offended you.   

But to be fair, Voyager, I did NOT defend any theory in my previous two posts in this thread. All I did was to present some information that I came across entirely by accident. If there're any personal comments that I made in those two posts, they are (1) minimum, and (2) they are obligatory since we are all suggested to do so if we are making a post that consists mainly of external references.

I am a moderator of the East Asia section here and that's why I happen to surf on the Net for information on East Asian civilizations more often. My main interests are actually international politics, current affairs, and sociological theories.

If I do come across some information on other contacts between ancient peoples, of course I will share it with the forumers here.    

Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 20:35

Voyager, let's keep the discussion on the topic.
I personally do not get agree with the idea about the Chinese discovered the Americas.

From my personal point of view , I see no influence from the chinese on Mesoamerican cultures ( no iron tools, artfifacts or the reference of horses ). This hipotesis sounds to me like the flavor of the day, but we still have to be open to discuss in a mature manner and accept others point of view.

My Best Regards
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 06:42
On the idea of Amerindians discovering america, sure, it's possible, show me some evidence that Amerindians had developed ocean going vessels and I would take it more seriously.

Don't you think the presense of Amerindians in America would render that unnecessary
Arrrgh!!"
Voyager View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Voyager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 10:45

Originally posted by red clay

In the past fifteen years there have been several
accounts of Chinese archeologists opening
undisturbed tombs, ca 2000bce and finding peanuts
and peanut shells, squash seeds and even traces of
cocaine in pottery containers.  All of these are native
to central and s. america.

I wonder why it is always Chinese archaeologists who discover that...

If there is anything I say that offends you, please send me a private message to let me know instead of turning an interesting thread like this into a forum to put me down. I will apologize if indeed I've offended you. 

You didnt offend me and you dont need to worry about that. I just happen to have a harsh style, which has a tendency to getting harsher every time I read stuff that is non-sense to me. 

Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

This hipotesis sounds to me like the flavor of the day, but we still have to be open to discuss in a mature manner and accept others point of view.

I dont agree with you about accepting other points of view when it is proved that they are wrong. A forum is a place to discuss ideas, not to blindly let the others say whatever they want when there are elements that prove that they are wrong.

PS - a lot of smileys appeared in my previous post due to bad copy and past and so I deleted them now in order to avoid any misunderstandings.

Edited by Voyager
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 12:14
Originally posted by Cywr

[

Don't you think the presense of Amerindians in
America would render that unnecessary

picky, picky, picky.   I still proof read better than the
NY Times
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 03:34
We'd be eating egg rolls instead of burritos.
Be brave and answer me.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 22:29
Originally posted by Scytho-Sarmatian

We'd be eating egg rolls instead of burritos.

Whatever the origin of burritos it's not Spanish: it's American (Mexican) - the same as tortillas and tacos. We have nothing of the sort and here a tortilla is an ommelette, a burrito is a little donkey and a taco is a bad word or just a small piece of wood.

So guess you would be eating egg rolls and burritos anyhow, even if you would be actually Japanese or something.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 03:48
If it was the English who took Mexico we would call them bean puddings or corn pastries. If it was French we'd have maize eclair avec haricots.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>