Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nowruz to be Recognized as National Celebration in Ontario

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nowruz to be Recognized as National Celebration in Ontario
    Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 14:59
happy nouroz to you also!  do you guys do spring cleaning also?
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 15:39

Dear Land of Aryan,
You have started a lovely and interesting topic, but I really don't know why every time people take it to some other ways and start their own arguments, anyway we the Afghans too celebrate it and count it as a blessing day and a new day to step in.
So happy Naw-Roz to all members in Advance and wish this new year brings lots of joy, happiness and peace to all.

Tnx
it's very soon to say but Happy HAPPY HaPpY Norooz to you & Family

& yes, disappointedly most articles in AE go anywhere except main way.

Itamble();
cyrus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Suspended

Quote cyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 19:06
I first should say Happy Norooz to everybody and I wish you a good new year.

I have a friend from Kazakhstan and they also celebrate it in there. It was something new for me to hear when She said oh, we also have norooz

Edited by cyrus
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2006 at 01:13
JavaScript:AddSmileyIcon('')

Read the following article fo the real history of the Noorz.

http://christiansofiraq.com/Newruz.html
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2006 at 03:48
gilgamesh, your source and theory stinks. You think that's the reason why Kurds celebrate nouroz? To show people that Assyrians are bad?
They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2006 at 04:28

Actually that just gives some historical perspective to the Shahnameh, Zahak was Assyrian, NOT Arab - excellent. Kaveh's victory over Zahak can now be viewed as the destruction of Assyria by the Medeans who were slaves to it. 

But that assertion regarding Norooz is nonsense, it is the Iranian Lunar new year and is celebrated among Iranian peoples from Kurdistan to Western China and does not have any origins in Assyria.

Edited by Zagros
Alborz View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Alborz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2006 at 05:27

Noruz has its roots to the ancient religion of Zoroastrianism.

But ofcourse it could have borrowed some of the elements from mesopotamians. But it is an Iranian origined festival. Borrowing elements from other cultures doesnt make it to be from other origins. If noruz is assyrian in root, how come they never celebrate it?

"Who so shall worship Ahura Mazda, divine blessing will be upon him, both while living and when dead" Darius The Great
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2006 at 09:17
LOL
B4 Every Thing was Arabic or Turkish, but now we have Absolutely new option: Every thing roots goes back to eliminated empire in +2600 years ago
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2006 at 09:19
NoRooz is older than Zaroastrianism.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 00:24

JavaScript:AddSmileyIcon('')
I expected that Persians and the Kurds will not like the article even if it is
true. The reality is that there is no historical evidence that the Persians or
Kurds celebrated the Norooz before the conquest of Babylon but there
are well documented historical evidences to prove that the spring festival
was celebrated in Mesopotamia by the Sumerians, Assyrians and the
Babylonians from 3000 years B.C..

There is no relgious foundation for the Persian celebration of Nooroz in
the zoroastrian religion but the Mesopotamian celebration of the spring
equanix was a relgious event based on the Creation story of the
Mesopotamian religion. Accordingly it was on that day that Marduk
defeated Tiamat and created the world, the heaven and all the creatures.
During the Akitu festival the entire story of creation was played out and
on the last day the destiny of mankind was decided by the Gods.

Here is the link to a an article written by an impartial American writer
about the history of the Akitu festival.

http://www.livius.org/aj-al/akitu/akitu.htm
Alborz View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Alborz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 04:56

Originally posted by Land of Aryan

LOL
B4 Every Thing was Arabic or Turkish, but now we have Absolutely new option: Every thing roots goes back to eliminated empire in +2600 years ago

Dont forget space aliens

Edited by Alborz
"Who so shall worship Ahura Mazda, divine blessing will be upon him, both while living and when dead" Darius The Great
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 13:51

I entered a supermarket yesterday. Coop, in swedish, and they are celebrating different cultures. Guess what I saw with BIG texts? All over the place:

"This year we celebrate NOVROUZ, the PERSIAN new year"

Funny eh? It's funny how everyone thinks its a persian new year...

Edited by Cent
They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 14:08

there are persians outside of iran.

wikipedia

Ethnic Persians can also be found outside of Iran and include the Tajiks and Parsiwan (also known as the Farsiwan) who can be found in Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Pakistan, and Xinjiang, China
Alborz View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Alborz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 23:33
Originally posted by Cent

"This year we celebrate NOVROUZ, the PERSIAN new year"

Funny eh? It's funny how everyone thinks its a persian new year...

cent, I think you misunderstand the term "Persian". when I came to the west for the first time, I had no clue about the word Persian. The west always had called Iran "Persia". and Persian was used to designate Iranians. its not an ethnic term for us. if you look in a farsi dictionary, it translates Persian to "Irani" and also on the side "Farsi" for the language definition. For us Iranians, it is always "Irani". noruz is irani, not farsi.

I will give you an example:

you see it says Persian football. read the Persian scripts there, it says "futbal-e irani"

you should apperciate that they even have that sign there. besides, the word persian seems alot more exotic than 'Iranian' to them. You could be proud of your history. after all Persia was a magnificent empire. Persian (Iranian as we call it) empires of pre-islam is our heritage. The word Persian in Europe doesnt leave out the Kurds, I assure you, not unless if you want it to.

Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 02:17
Alborz, your right. But when Kurds say Persian in Swedish, we mean the Persians. Not all Iranians, that's why I reacted.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 04:36
Originally posted by Land of Aryan

Nowruz to be Recognized as National Celebration in Ontario

An act of validation of Nowruz as a national celebration has been presented to Ontario Parliament by a Canadian parliament member.

Tehran, 28 February 2006 (CHN) -- An act of formalizing Nowruz (Persian New Year) as a national celebration has been presented to Ontario Parliament by Mario Racco, member of provincial parliament of Thornhill in Ontario Parliament on 23 February 2006.

Based on this proposal, 21st of March will be announced as Nowruz Day in the state of Ontario.

According to Iranian Enthusiasts Association, in addition to presenting of this act, Mario Racco mentioned the positive role of Iranian-Canadian Association in this state and their efforts for promoting Canadian society.

In addition to emphasizing the importance of Nowruz, Rosario Marchese, a member of Trinty-Spadina provincial district in Ontario Parliament asked for the special attention of Canadian government to the situation of Iranian immigrants in Canada especially in the field of job creating. She also referred to some points of a report by Mehdi Kouhestani, an Iranian scholar, about the job problems of Iranians in Canada such as their lower wages compared to their Canadian counterparts and working in jobs which do not suite their level of education and specialty.

Frank Klees, member of Oak Ridges in Ontario Parliament also remarked the importance of Nowruz and appreciated the Iranian-Canadian Association in development of the society and their important role in construction, electronics, computer, and communication sciences.

Last year, it was the British Colombia provincial parliament which for the first time validated Nowruz, the ancient celebration of Iranian New Year.

More than 53 percent of Iranian population in Canada lives in Ontario State which has 5 million population and they form one of the most successful immigrant minority communities in Canadian society.

http://www.chn.ir/en/news/?section=2&id=6215 

Iteresting Article.
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 12:24
Originally posted by Zagros

Now has an IE root

and Ruz is Rozh in Kurdish, so has a common Iranic root.

So the root is not Persian in particular, it is a celebrated by all iranian people and those that they have influenced.

yes that's it. It is a tradtion among, Kurds, Zazas, Azeris, Persians, Gilakis, Mazandaranis, Lors, etc... and Turkmens, Tajiks, Uzbeks, Hazara's and to an extent also among Kyrgyz, Kazakh and some Caucasian peoples.

Alborz View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Alborz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 20:36

Alborz, your right. But when Kurds say Persian in Swedish, we mean the Persians. Not all Iranians, that's why I reacted.

cent, when saying persian ....smt in the west, it barely means that it is talking about the actual Persian ethnicity.

like:

Persian Cat: Gorbeye Irani

Persian Carpet: Farsh-e Irani

...etc.

Unless you are talking specifically about Persian ethnicity or language, you will see "Fars/Pars" in there.

Edited by Alborz
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 20:39

persia is just the wests word for iran, and persian is their word for people from iran.

just like germany is their word for dutschland.

we know that iran is iran, but to them its persia.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
PrznKonectoid View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote PrznKonectoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 22:19

"cent, you kurds are our brothers. for example, i dont understand the kurdish mentality. like look at your signature. what do you mean kurds dont have friends? as long as there is an iran kurds will have a home. its not only you people that are being mistreated, all iranians are being mistreated! we need a democratic government, instead of fighting iran, fight for democracy in iran, be part of the solution, not the problem."

It's a Kurdish proverb. Do you think I only talk about Kurds in Iran? What about 25 million other Kurds? Kurds have been tools for everyone, every nation the last 100 years, and the proverb says that. The mountains has been our home, when we fight for freedom. The proverb also indicates that noone can be trusted, not even other Kurdish parties can trust eachother.

I understand that you can't understand our mentality. You have a state. Not we. And not say that Iran is Kurds home, when only 20% of the Kurds live there.

Dude we say Iran is your home because kurds ARE IRANIAN! Just like Mazanderani, Gilaki, Azeri and all the other groups. This is why we are so WEAK.

Turkish propoganidists get Azeris to think that they're Turks and break away. Others get Kurds to think that they're Muslims, Iraqis, or just their own thing. People get Persians to think that they're all Shias and shouldn't respect their Kurdish brothers. Others have Afghans believing they are their own thing. All of a sudden you have so many factions and so many groups.

HOW THE HELL ARE WE SUPPOSED TO STAND UNITED AND PRESERVE OUR HERITAGE!!!!

Want to know more on ancient Iran?
http://www.parsaworld.com
or join our forums
FORUM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>