Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

La Otra Campaa (The Other Campaign)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: La Otra Campaa (The Other Campaign)
    Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 07:58
I know there are several forummers from Mexico. Can anyone inform what's going on with "La Otra Campaa" of the Zapatistas?

I'm listening something in the local free radio, and I hear of many daily abuses of the oligarchy and the police and at least one clearly political arrest. Maybe the relevant thing of this anti-campaign is that the injustices that happen in Mexico are being put together into a single whole.

Well, I can't say but what reaches the alternative media but maybe our Mexican friends can make some comments and illustrate us.

One of the things I heard is that the lack of social change under Fox has caused a massive increase of emigration to the USA. So guess that what some people in the USA see as a problem is actually generated by the system they are promoting for Mexico.

Well, whatever. What can you say about it?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 10:55
I'm rather ambigious about it. On one hand it seems like a step to disarmament, and the metamorphose of the EZLN from a military to a civil organization. That would be very good, it will take pressure of Chiapas and at the end it will be better for everyone. On the other hand this year Mexico will most likely elect the first leftist president (Lpez Obrador) since a long time (Lpez Portillo? Lpez Mateos? Crdenas? could be an interesting discussion on itself), but the EZLN is agitating against him. Of course they don't have to support him, but a divided left won't improve the chances of success. It would be much better if they - despite the differences - cooperate.

Anyway, here is a page of La Jornada's coverage of the other campaign: http://www.jornada.unam.mx/laotra/
 Post Reply Post Reply