Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Jewish people

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Jewish people
    Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 05:20
Originally posted by Maju

It's supposed that the main forums must be in English. You can exchange in Hebrew in the Non-English Board subforum. 

Word, my bad.
"Your country ain't your blood. Remember that." -Santino Corelone
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 05:58
Originally posted by Svyturys

I have something against them, because they want that every Europe would sorry them... They want that everyone would say sorry, they called our nation something "who shooting jews"... not directly, but they said that we must feel sorry.. And why we all.. only about 0.6% of lithuanians made bad things to them. Jews don't say that many lithuanians saved them! Yes, many lithuanians let them to have a secret place in them house!

And how they say thanks? They was in good places in soviet government, sent many lithuanians to Siberia! Will they say sorry?

So i hate holocoust industry!

But it don't means that i can't speak with jew. I contacted with very fine girl of Israel on ICQ (Atheist also ). She is wonderful in communication!

I once dated an agnostic jewish israeli girl whose mom was born in Lithuania... cool sounding language.

BTW, i have no need for europeans to feel 'sorry' for me at all. i live very well, and it was really only the nazi ideologues and their lemming-minded underlings that killed my family. Besides, has there ever really been any widespread anti-semitism in Lithuania? . .. hmmm?    ; )

Edited by Halevi
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 06:00

Jews are just like other people: nobody's perfect either on the good or on the bad side (whatever would that mean).

Off topic: it's nice to see that when it comes to good things that sprang out it's Chritianity or Islam or whatever did that. As for bad things it's not the religion, it's the people (and vice versa - depends of who's posting). It's always the people, religion is nothing but a concept. The way we use it it's our fault.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 07:35

It is my believe that any exterme religious opinions are dangersous, if you're a jew, muslim, christian or anything else including faithless people who are extreme in their faithless believe.

Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 07:47
Originally posted by Golani

It is my believe that any exterme religious opinions are dangersous...

Ironically, their adherents are often more logical than the rest =)

I think the key, really, is humility in one's degree of belief regarding just about anything.

Unfortunately, this is not a widely popular trait.

Edited by Halevi
Svyturys View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Svyturys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 11:16

Originally posted by Halevi

I once dated an agnostic jewish israeli girl whose mom was born in Lithuania... cool sounding language.

BTW, i have no need for europeans to feel 'sorry' for me at all. i live very well, and it was really only the nazi ideologues and their lemming-minded underlings that killed my family. Besides, has there ever really been any widespread anti-semitism in Lithuania? . .. hmmm?    ; )

Thanks, i like our language also

Yes, because you said you are non-zionist. Really nazis killed your family? Sorry.. I wouldn't say that here was big antisemitism.. worst intercourse was with polish between wars, because of our historic capital Vilnius polonization and other sh*t that they did with lithuanians in Vilnius(after many years, when we was almost brothers with them, together fought with enemies and etc.). But even after Nacionalist (not nazi's) revolution in 1926 when Lithuanian nationalist union (Lituvos Tautininku Sajunga) became ruling,  jews wasn't segregated, they had full rights. At 1930's (they were and before, but i found statistic of 1930) jews were biggest etnic group here - 8%, in cities - more. I couldn't say that here wasnt anti-semiticm, but not too much how jews says now. We don't want get them back houses, which they had before war..i'm also wouldn't give it.. It would mean occupation of our cities! Almost all old-cities belonged to them, can say, it was jewish region (but unfair to give expensive historical building to jews). And if we would give them thoose houses, anti-semiticm really would be increased (do they need it?). I just want to say - everyone must have his own land! Even it will be small!

Sorry for my f**king-ugly-dirty english guess you will understand something

Edited by Svyturys
Every moment, like last, neither earth, nor sky don't calculate time. Left only one heart in scorched bosom. Throbing only drums again, calling us into battle.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 20:56

This is my take on Jews.

First, is there such a thing? Can a religion really be a people? If so, who are the Jews - how close is their connection to ancient Hebrews? And what was the ancient Hebrew culture - was the religion as canon as it is today, or was there a grey area with people falling somewhere in between it and the religions of neighbours like the Phoenicians and Phillistines of Byblos and Tyre? Records from both Greek and Roman sources seem to indicate that at that time, Jews didn't see themselves as a people, but as a collection of different groups united by a religious system. How did that change over time?

The one thing that is remarkable about Jewish culture is that it contains elements of some of humanity's earliest civilizations and earliest eras of history. It's fascinating that it has been passed down to the present day. Other than that fact, the other remarkable thing about Jewish culture is the degree to which it is perceived as remarkable. To me, its alot like other groups all over the world. It's had its historical trials and tribulations (many groups have had the same or worse, eg native americans or gypsies) and there's nothing exceptional about Jews there, it often has a nationalistic or revisionist view towards its own history (nothing unique at all there - we all do that), it tries to cast itself as unique (again, I think we all do that), it sometimes does itself a disservice by trying to defend its darker figures and disassociate itself from or defend its darker moments in history (yet again, something common to all cultures) etc etc. I think people are just people, everyone should be proud of their heritage and see it for the good things as well as the bad things, but not let pride go so far as to eclipse an open mind. When it comes down to it culture and history are fine, but often they are just something we put on: the only reality is the present, and we should never sacrifice it in the name of the past.

Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 05:31
Originally posted by edgewaters

This is my take on Jews.

First, is there such a thing? Can a religion really be a people? If so, who are the Jews - how close is their connection to ancient Hebrews? And what was the ancient Hebrew culture - was the religion as canon as it is today, or was there a grey area with people falling somewhere in between it and the religions of neighbours like the Phoenicians and Phillistines of Byblos and Tyre? Records from both Greek and Roman sources seem to indicate that at that time, Jews didn't see themselves as a people, but as a collection of different groups united by a religious system. How did that change over time?

As with the Palestinians, i am tempted to say that our very persecution, and the general perception of us by others, as a group, perpetuated and strengthened our group identity. As i think (?) i metioned previously in this thread, our gene pools (plural, as there are many only vaugely related pockets of us around the globe...now largely in israel) are usually quite closed. We really are groups of mini-ethnicites, who did not on the whole, mix thoroughly with our host populations.. a jew from poland is culturally and ethnically *not* polish, even if he/she were to ditch judaism as a religoin/behavioural code entirely. That being said, intermarriage and the increasing acceptance of conversions (which were once laughable) are definitely blurring these ethnic boundaries, and making us an even more enigmatic people in this world still dominated by ethno-nation-state logic.

The one thing that is remarkable about Jewish culture is that it contains elements of some of humanity's earliest civilizations and earliest eras of history. It's fascinating that it has been passed down to the present day. Other than that fact, the other remarkable thing about Jewish culture is the degree to which it is perceived as remarkable. To me, its alot like other groups all over the world. It's had its historical trials and tribulations (many groups have had the same or worse, eg native americans or gypsies) and there's nothing exceptional about Jews there, it often has a nationalistic or revisionist view towards its own history (nothing unique at all there - we all do that), it tries to cast itself as unique (again, I think we all do that), it sometimes does itself a disservice by trying to defend its darker figures and disassociate itself from or defend its darker moments in history (yet again, something common to all cultures) etc etc.

Very well said.

I think people are just people, everyone should be proud of their heritage and see it for the good things as well as the bad things, but not let pride go so far as to eclipse an open mind. When it comes down to it culture and history are fine, but often they are just something we put on: the only reality is the present, and we should never sacrifice it in the name of the past.

Eloquent. Im not particularly optimistic on this count, but, in an ideal world, i think i mostly agree ; )

Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 06:30

That being said, intermarriage and the increasing acceptance of conversions (which were once laughable) are definitely blurring these ethnic boundaries, and making us an even more enigmatic people in this world still dominated by ethno-nation-state logic.

It's certainly making definition very difficult, but I think one of the main reasons the Jewish culture has persisted to the present day is the simple mechanics of matrilineal descent when everyone else uses paternal descent. It's pretty hard to assimilate a group when their genealogy works at such a tangent to that of the assimilator. If, say, native Americans were all going by matrilineal descent, places like Mexico or even the US might seem quite different today! Judaism has probably been through at least limited episodes of this sort of mingling before and I strongly doubt it alone could impact much on its future.

Also, as surprising as it sounds, the intermingling of racial groups might have alot less impact than one might suspect. Genetic surveys of the British population, for instance, have produced alot of extremely surprising results. One would think that any traces of the original inhabitants would be all but obliterated, but genetic tests on Cheddar Man - a 9000 year old Stone Age skeleton - showed a number of his direct descendants were living in the immediate location, as in the closest village to the site, as indicated by mitochondrial DNA (passed only on the female side). One was a descendant with a close match and therefore a direct line of descent but obviously some external influences, but two were exact matches meaning little or no foreign influence on their mitochondrial DNA, this out of a sample of only 20 persons in the immediate vicinity, in a country historically famous as a genetic crossroads. 9000 years! Strange, no? It definately gives a new perspective on everyone's link with their past, if such a strong connection can exist in those conditions.

As for conversions, they can't have always been laughable. At some point, Judaism must have been - and forgive the term, I don't mean it any offensive manner - a new cult, vying for acceptance against (or possibly superimposed upon) established belief systems. Every member of any religion is ultimately the product of conversion somewhere along the line.

Edited by edgewaters
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 12:02
Britain (and particularly Western Britain) isn't such a crossroads: it has suffered little invasions in all its prehistory and history (Celts and Anglo-Saxons are the most important ones) and they left relatively low marks: the most exposed locations to "Danish" gentic influence (which may have arrived either with Anglosaxons or with Vikings or even earlier in unknown processes) showed only 40% of that origin, being the other 60% closer to Basques (or to the most pure breeds of Western Britons). This applies at least to Y-chromosome (male) lineages, which, in principle are the ones that travel more.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 17:25

That being said, intermarriage and the increasing acceptance of conversions (which were once laughable) are definitely blurring these ethnic boundaries, and making us an even more enigmatic people in this world still dominated by ethno-nation-state logic.

It's certainly making definition very difficult, but I think one of the main reasons the Jewish culture has persisted to the present day is the simple mechanics of matrilineal descent when everyone else uses paternal descent.

Totally.  Its a culturally adaptive trait, if you will ; )

That being said, until the modern era, it was relatively rare for a non-jewish man to marry a jewish woman, and then raise their kids as distinctly 'jewish'. The matrilinean descent thing is more a cultural protection against rape. Now things are totally different of course, and even 'half' jewish kids are considered jewish, and the ethnic makeup of the jewish 'people' has become even more diverse, leading some to mistakenly assume there was never any ethnic basis, and that its all just religion. Which is so simplistic its just wrong.

As for conversions, they can't have always been laughable. At some point, Judaism must have been - and forgive the term, I don't mean it any offensive manner - a new cult, vying for acceptance against (or possibly superimposed upon) established belief systems. Every member of any religion is ultimately the product of conversion somewhere along the line.

Zero offence taken. I think youre right about the cult thing. Its just that this particular cult was only developed among a certiain number of close knit tribes, and was never meant to apply to anyone else. So, the doors closed pretty quickly, so to speak.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 01:35
I think that the non-proselitistic attitude of Judaism has never been monolithic: not just Christianism is a particularly proselitist version of Judaism but some scholars like Barbara Herschell argue that this attitude was rooted in the practices of some Judaist subsects like Essenians, of which Christianism is just an offshot. Apparently Essenians justified proselitzing among Gentiles for economic reasons, leaving always these Gentiles in the lowest strata of the socio-religious organization. This practice was called "fishing" (hence why the apostles wee "fishermen" and the esotheric symbol of Xtianity is a fish).

Jesus and Paul in this sense were total revilutionaries because they accepted egalitariant treatment for Jews and Gentiles.

But Judaist Proselytism has existed also in at least two other clear cases:
  • In the Read Sea area: Falashas for instance are not related genetically to Jews yet they are Judaists since old. This proselytism may have been active in other communities such as Arabs
  • Among the Khazars: the Khazars are a whole Turkic nation that converted en masse to Judaism. Even it seem that they initiated a second Levitic lineage.
So Judaism hasn't been a closed religion always and in all contexts. In fact Christianity is the main proselytistc and messianic Judaist subsect, having had an incredible success - though it's now in decline.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 03:10
Originally posted by Maju

I think that the non-proselitistic attitude of Judaism has never been monolithic: not just Christianism is a particularly proselitist version of Judaism but some scholars like Barbara Herschell argue that this attitude was rooted in the practices of some Judaist subsects like Essenians, of which Christianism is just an offshot. Apparently Essenians justified proselitzing among Gentiles for economic reasons, leaving always these Gentiles in the lowest strata of the socio-religious organization. This practice was called "fishing" (hence why the apostles wee "fishermen" and the esotheric symbol of Xtianity is a fish).

Jesus and Paul in this sense were total revilutionaries because they accepted egalitariant treatment for Jews and Gentiles.

But Judaist Proselytism has existed also in at least two other clear cases:
  • In the Read Sea area: Falashas for instance are not related genetically to Jews yet they are Judaists since old. This proselytism may have been active in other communities such as Arabs
  • Among the Khazars: the Khazars are a whole Turkic nation that converted en masse to Judaism. Even it seem that they initiated a second Levitic lineage.
So Judaism hasn't been a closed religion always and in all contexts. In fact Christianity is the main proselytistc and messianic Judaist subsect, having had an incredible success - though it's now in decline.

Jewish history tells these stories differently, but i dont this its proveable either way. All i can say is the logic of the religion is against conversion to begin with... it makes no sense, talmudically. This is why it is so difficult for 'jewish converts' to be recognized by an orthodox rabbi, or the orthodox (original, unwesterninzed) branches of Judaism to begin with. Its just a totally foreign concept to Judaism as it has been practiced since the ancient Talumdic times.

Ethiopian, and other, Jews tell themselves that the Falasha are descendants of Queen Sheba + King Solomon's offspring, and thus they claimed Solomonic lineage, and decided to practice a form of Judaism to honour their paternal Jewish heritage. 

Since their lineage is not, originally, maternal, it took quite a bit of convincing for the orthodox establishments in Israel to accept that the Ethiopian "Falasha" / "Falashmura" were even really 'Jewish'... in the end, the politics of demographics won over, and they were granted the right of return according to the laws of the Israeli state.

The Khazars, we jews tell ourselves, converted themselves enmasse for political reasons, and constitute the only such case in all of history. I dont know if there were even accepted as 'Jews' by the ethnic-Hebrew orthodox establishment. They're exinct, anyway (unless they blended in to already existing Slavic/Caucasus Jewish diasporic communities, in which case i am a Khazar hahaha)

I dont know how accurate any of this really is, but these are the narratives we Jews tell ourselves. The idea of conversion is really anethema to the very concept of the religion, and proselytization is just a joke to us. Its hard for non-Jews to understand this, because we simply consitute one of the only examples of such a thing.  Like i said elsewhere, its really like a fancy country club that closed its doors to new members the day it opened. The only way you can get in is if your Mom's a member. (The Druze, by the way, are quite similar in this regard).

Edited by Halevi
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 19:17
The Khazars are not extinct: Russian Jews are largely their descendants (and they probably have presence among Askenazim):

About half of Ashkenazic Levites possess Eastern European non-Israelite haplotypes belonging to the R1a1 haplogroup. This is almost never found among Sephardic Levites, and may have been introduced into the Ashkenazic Levite lines by Slavs or Khazars who converted to Judaism.

Source: Khazaria.com

Y-chromosomal Levi?

While Kohens are believed to have descended in the patrilineal line from Aaron, brother of Moses, Levites (a second level of Jewish priest) are believed to have descended in the patrilineal line from Levi, son of Jacob. Levites should also therefore share common Y-chromosomal DNA.

An investigation of men who consider themselves Levites in fact found two distinct markers. One marker, present in many Eastern European (Ashkenazi) Jewish Levites, and in a majority of Spanish/Mediterranean (Sephardic) Jewish Levites, points to a common male ancestor roughly 3000 years ago. Another marker, however, is present only in Ashkenazi Jewish Levites, and points to a common ancestor about 1000 years ago.

Source: Wikipedia - Y-chromosomal Aaron

Orthodox (Mallakhite) Judaism is not the only one. As I said above Essenians were very different and they counted with the primogenit of the line of David (Jesus) among them (or so it seems).

Falashas are totally unrelated either via mother or father:

Studies of Jewish Populations

Advanced genetic testing, including Y-DNA and mtDNA haplotyping, of modern Jewish communities around the world, has helped to determine which of the communities are likely to descend from the Israelites and which are not, as well as to establish the degrees of separation between the groups. Important studies archived here include the University College London study of 2002, Ariella Oppenheim's study of 2001, Ariella Oppenheim's study of 2000, Michael Hammer's study of 2000, and others.

Key findings:

• The main ethnic element of Ashkenazim (German and Eastern European Jews), Sephardim (Spanish and Portuguese Jews), Mizrakhim (Middle Eastern Jews), Juhurim (Mountain Jews of the Caucasus), Italqim (Italian Jews), and most other modern Jewish populations of the world is Israelite. The Israelite haplotypes fall into haplogroups J and E.
  • Ashkenazim also descend, in a smaller way, from European peoples such as Slavs and Khazars. The non-Israelite haplogroups include Q (typically Central Asian) and R1a1 (typically Eastern European).
  • Dutch Jews from the Netherlands also descend from northwestern Europeans.
  • Sephardim also descend, in a smaller way, from various non-Israelite peoples.
  • Georgian Jews (Gruzim) are a mix of Georgians and Israelites.
  • Yemenite Jews (Temanim) are a mix of Yemenite Arabs and Israelites.
  • Moroccan Jews, Algerian Jews, and Tunisian Jews are mainly Israelites.
  • Libyan Jews are mainly Berbers.
  • Ethiopian Jews are almost exclusively Ethiopian, with little or no Israelite ancestry.
  • Palestinian Arabs are probably partly Israelite.

• Again from Khazaria.com. In fact Palestinian Arabs ARE more purely Hebrew (genetically speaking) than Askenazim, who show a remarkable admixture with non-Levantine genetic sources (Khazars and others). But they are not Judaist believers anymore nor they identify themseleves as Hebrews - they could perfectly though, considering their probable origins.

So we have Berber converts in Lybia and Ethiopia, a purest Hebrew line among Sefardite and (specialy) North African Jews, and more mixed lines in Northern and Eastern Europe.

I can't but notice that while Orthodox do only admit via the mother, many other Judaist sects allow other forms of incorporation to the religious community, including conversion. None of them is roselytist nowadays but some have been in the past, as we can see i the above data and in Christianism.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
    Sultan
    Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 02:59

Its just
    that this particular cult was only developed among a certiain number of close knit tribes, and was never meant to apply to anyone else. So, the doors closed pretty quickly, so to speak.

Yes, to some degree ... the thing is that they didn't stay shut. Through the Hellenic period there were waves of apostacy followed by waves of proselytism in an effort to restore the religion to the geographic area - without much consideration of heritage in any of the original tribes really being possible, since those divisions had, under Hellenistic influence, largely been forgotten and there was no real way to tell if a Semitic individual in large and very Hellenized sites like Caesarea, where groups like the Zealots were active, had any Hebrew blood or if he descended from the Phoenician natives of that particular area. So, all Semitic inhabitants of the area were considered potential apostates and therefore potential converts.

Hellenic rulers, of course, encouraged apostacy and/or syncretic interpretations of the religion, and fought against the attempts to restore it by what can only be deemed proselytism of a limited sort. One of the first acts of Constantine and the Council of Nice was to declare a ban on Jewish proselytism.

Edited by edgewaters
    Halevi View Drop Down
    Colonel
    Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 03:18

Its just
    that this particular cult was only developed among a certiain number of close knit tribes, and was never meant to apply to anyone else. So, the doors closed pretty quickly, so to speak.

Yes, to some degree ... the thing is that they didn't stay shut. Through the Hellenic period there were waves of apostacy followed by waves of proselytism in an effort to restore the religion to the geographic area - without much consideration of heritage in any of the original tribes really being possible, since those divisions had, under Hellenistic influence, largely been forgotten and there was no real way to tell if a Semitic individual in large and very Hellenized sites like Caesarea, where groups like the Zealots were active, had any Hebrew blood or if he descended from the Phoenician natives of that particular area. So, all Semitic inhabitants of the area were considered potential apostates and therefore potential converts.

Hellenic rulers, of course, encouraged apostacy and/or syncretic interpretations of the religion, and fought against the attempts to restore it by what can only be deemed proselytism of a limited sort. One of the first acts of Constantine and the Council of Nice was to declare a ban on Jewish proselytism.

Thats actually very interesting..  i hadnt heard much on that before. I'd love to see some references and read up on it myself.

Sultan
    Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 04:50
    The Hellenic period in Israel is a vast and controversial topic ... hardly a scholarly source, but you might find this interesting:

Hellenization of Judaism

or this:

Hanukkah as Jewish Civil War

The problem with most attempts at understanding this period is that they are really distorted to two extremes - the one extreme, the national myth, tries to invent the notion that the Jews were all united in opposing Hellenization and the commoners stood up and threw off an oppressor (when many Jews actually liked and participated in Hellenization, much like many cultures today struggle with Westernization). It minimizes the terror that radicals like the Sicarrii inflicted on other Jews who they felt weren't Jewish enough, and dismisses the conflicts within Jewish society over the crisis.

The other extreme is also a national myth, but one that echoes from a dead civilization - it minimizes the terrible suffering of the Jews at the hands of the Hellenized rulers and Romans, and the deliberate attempts at destruction of their culture, which was alot like an ancient version of the worst excesses of the British Empire whether it be in Ireland or North America or India. Much worse, really. It portrays the Greeks and Romans the way they would have liked to be portrayed, as helpful civilizers dealing with a hysterical or barbaric population that irrationally resisted them. So subjective, and false. It completely ignores so much. Many among the Greeks and Romans admired Judaism and a great deal about it, and much of the hostility stems from their frustration at its inaccesibility to them - when offered an accessible offshoot, namely Christianity, it was massively popular, irresistable even, to their society. It's interesting to see in Greek writings how they go from writing about the Jews first as an over-idealized utopian nation of philosophers, but gradually become frustrated and begin to describe them as being "in revolt against humanity" or the descendants of lepers.

Both sides have plenty to say, you just have to sidestep their agendas to get at it.

Edited by edgewaters
    Gyadu View Drop Down
    Consul
    Consul

Quote Gyadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 09:39

My question is regarding racism/colourism in Judaism/Israel.

I'm asking this question due to the following reasons.

1}Most of the Indian {Indian looking} Jews have emigrated to Israel.Saw a program about them.They still eat  Indian food,listen Indian music.

2}Years ago heard a  program on BBC radio.One of the clips was about Blood of Ethiopian {Black Jews}.The blood they had donated was spilt without checking because Ethiopian Jews were reported to have a higher rate of AIDS.

3}Learnt on AE that there are Chinese Jews too.Used my power of dreaming to assume they look Chinese {on an average}.

http://www.ocioa.org/chinese/Advisory_Board/Jew.jpg

Is Dr.Harry S Jew a Jew?

Izan zirelako gara...... Izan garelako izango dira....
    Halevi View Drop Down
    Colonel
    Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 09:41
    Originally posted by Gyadu

My question is regarding racism/colourism in Judaism/Israel.

I'm asking this question due to the following reasons.

1}Most of the Indian {Indian looking} Jews have emigrated to Israel.Saw a program about them.They still eat  Indian food,listen Indian music.

2}Years ago heard a  program on BBC radio.One of the clips was about Blood of Ethiopian {Black Jews}.The blood they had donated was spilt without checking because Ethiopian Jews were reported to have a higher rate of AIDS.

3}Learnt on AE that there are Chinese Jews too.Used my power of dreaming to assume they look Chinese {on an average}.

http://www.ocioa.org/chinese/Advisory_Board/Jew.jpg

Is Dr.Harry S Jew a Jew?

HAHAHAHAHHA i doubt it.    I have a good friend from high school, actually, who is Cantonese. His last name is 'Jue' ... we had a whole slew of immature jokes surrounding this theme. Its a coincidence.   Depending on the tone, in Cantonese, 'Jue' can actually mean pork... or banana.
    Gyadu View Drop Down
    Consul
    Consul

Quote Gyadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 09:43
    The more important question was regarding racism/colourism in Judaism/Israel Halevi.
    Izan zirelako gara...... Izan garelako izango dira....
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>