Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Jewish people

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Jewish people
    Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 01:13
Originally posted by Paul

Originally posted by Halevi

Hi all,

As a non-zionist, agnositc-atheist freethinking ethnic jew (enough loaded terms for you?) , i'd love to hear people's opinions on jews and judaism in general (or in specific!) Please feel free to be open and honest. =)

Just a little anomaly in your self description. Jew is not an ethnicity, it's a religion. In fact it's a multi-ethnic faith, black and Chinese Jews included.

So if you are an athiest, as you descrbe yourself, you are definately not a Jew.

That's not that way: Jew (Hebrew) is an ethnicity. Judaism is a religion. You can be a convert to Judaism from another background. You can be Jew and not religious  or belonging to another religion (Marx, Allen, Einstein).

The problem with Jews is that we don't know what was first the chicken (ethnicity) or the egg (religion).

But I can tell you that Hitler didn't go over there asking Jews for their religion before determining their fate. That was in Spain 400 years before.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 01:16
Originally posted by Komnenos

Judaism, as Christianity and Islam, has been a important and necessary step in the development of human belief systems and thought, and is therefore neither good nor evil.

Necessary?

You are wrong in that. There was no need for any of the Abrahmanic religions and only adherents to them can say that. Chinese or Indians had never any need of such belief systems. Actually we Europeans didn't have that need either.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 01:41
Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

I don't look at ethnic Jews differently than any other group. Doesn't bother me when one believes in Judaism, either. I don't like the institutionalized system of belief, but if someone believes in it I'm fine with it as long as theyre not trying to convert me or openly judging me based on their values. This applies to people of all religions, not just Jews.

To be honest, though, even though I don't like or dislike Jews more than another group, I have to say I use the term "Jew" around friends. When someone is being cheap, sneaky, etc. But I even do this with Armenians...when I hear of people busted for any type of fraud I'll say something like "What an Armenian move". So its not exclusive to Jews or anything, I like ethnic jokes as a way of laughing about our differences (however exaggerated they might be) instead of fighting about them.

I think Jewish history and Armenian history have many similarities. Mainly the non-stop persecutions (Jews had it worse in my opinion-but not in the present day), and also the large diaspora and being able to keep their cultures alive even though they were far from their homeland.

This has occurred to me as well. I was in Armenia about a year and a half ago, and i couldn't help but notice a slew of similarities. It's more than just the genocide thing, too. The whole ancient displaced community, bonded by language and religion thing, is quite familiar to me. By the way, even though i got ridiculously sick off some khorovats in Yerevan, i gotta say i have mad respect for your cuisine. ; )

I don't have a problem with the existence of Israel, I just don't agree with their state policies and as a result Israel (as an institution) tends to irritate me.

I feel you there, too. I gotta say, while i was once an ardent zionist, i eventually realized that the premise of zionism logically requires racist policies if its to be implemented in eretz israel. While i don't think the jews have any more or less of a right to a country than anyone else, the fact that Israel requires outwardly or implicitly racist policy to perpetuate its existence has made me lose my taste for the whole experiment. I'm not convinced that jews are any more or less racist than any other national group, however. Its the logic of european-born nationalism, implanted in the heart of the muslim middle east, which forces Israel to actually *act* on the racism everyone else has the luxury of ignoring.

As a non-zionist, agnositc-atheist freethinking ethnic jew

By agnostic-atheist, I assume you mean that you switch between the two on occasion. I'm agnostic, myself (with slight instances where I had accepted atheism).

Not exactly. I'm about 90-99% certain that there is no God, but i also doubt my own faculties of reasoning and intuition. So i throw the term 'agnostic' in there just to show that i have a bit of humility. I could well be wrong about everything.

Thanks for your comments, ArmenianSurvival.

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 02:18

In Italy we have the oldest western jewish diaspora.

They were here before the first christians too

Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 02:18
Originally posted by Maju

You are wrong in that. There was no need for any of the Abrahmanic religions and only adherents to them can say that. Chinese or Indians had never any need of such belief systems. Actually we Europeans didn't have that need either.

Maju please speak in your name.
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 02:38
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Originally posted by Cywr

Jews collectivly, no opinion, i've met to many for that one to work. Judism, a little wacky, but no more so than your average religion.

second

I do have a question for Halevi though: both other Abrahamic religions (Christianity and Islam) seem to have an urge to spread their religion and to convert people, and have become very large because of that. Judaism however doesn't seem to have an urge to convert people at all. Why is that?

This gets to the crux of what it means to be 'jewish' and also helps explain the ongoing debate on this thread over whether 'jewish' is an ethnic, or religious, marker.

Judaism is a tribal religion, not a proselytizing one. In other words, it was developed to help make sense of a *group's* existence/suffering in a meaningless world, rather than try to explain how all of humanity can be saved. It was born out of a very tribal environment.

In other words, Judaism is only concerned with the destiny of a specific family, rather than that of humanity.

Think of it this way: Jewish identity is like a private golf club.

The club was founded by only a few families, all of whom were related. The membership consists only of the founding families and their offspring.  Anyone whose mom is a member is automatically granted membership. It's really hard to get in, otherwise. The rules of the club are the religion. You can be a member of the club by birth, however, and not follow the rules. That just makes you a bad member. Only if you join another golf club is your membership suspended =)

Since the club has been around for so long, and it's members have spread to so many countries, and have had children with so many non-members (mostly illigitimately, since, according to the rules, members are only supposed to marry other members), the gene pool has become increasingly diverse. There is, nonetheless, still quite a bit of shared matrilineal ancestry amongst all the members.

Recently, however, the rules have been relaxed a little so that non-members can apply for membership, usually because they want to marry a member.  This has resulted in even more genetic mixing, including whole families who went to extreme pains to join this ancient, elite golf club.

So, to recap, Jewish identity is technically inherited through your mother (although many kids who have a Jewish father, and a non-Jewish mother also consider themselves Jewish)...  

You can not practice the jewish religion at all, but still be jewish by birth.

Jews tend to share many of their genes with each other, but over the course of history (especially recently, as the rules for club entry have laxed a little) there has also been quite a bit of mixing.

Essentially, Jewishness is an ethnicity, although because of geographic dispersal, and subsequent genetic mixing with local populations, the Jewish 'gene pool' has expanded significantly over time. Judaism is the system of religious rules that applies only to members of the ethnicity. The rules have nothing to do with non-members. To complicate things a little, Jews who abide by all the rules tend to view non-rule-abiding Jews as a little less 'Jewish' (but still redeemable).  And, moreover, recently the rules have been softened a little to allow non-members to become members, in order to facilitate marriages, etc.

Its important to imagine this all occuring over a pretty vast timespan, and being influenced by pretty vast geographical dispersals, hence the creation of many separate 'pockets' of Jews around the globe. They all recongize each other, however, by their rule book and they language that its written in. ; )

The idea of Israel (and im not saying its a good one) is to bring all these different pockets back to the one place their ancestors 'came from' and craft them into the mould of a 'proper' European-style nation-state. The problem, of course, is that the neighbourhood we choose to do this in was already populated.

Edited by Halevi
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 02:38

Hi all,

As a non-zionist, agnositc-atheist freethinking ethnic jew (enough loaded terms for you?) , i'd love to hear people's opinions on jews and judaism in general (or in specific!) Please feel free to be open and honest. =)

Just a little anomaly in your self description. Jew is not an ethnicity, it's a religion. In fact it's a multi-ethnic faith, black and Chinese Jews included.

So if you are an athiest, as you descrbe yourself, you are definately not a Jew.

That's not that way: Jew (Hebrew) is an ethnicity. Judaism is a religion. You can be a convert to Judaism from another background. You can be Jew and not religious  or belonging to another religion (Marx, Allen, Einstein).

The problem with Jews is that we don't know what was first the chicken (ethnicity) or the egg (religion).

But I can tell you that Hitler didn't go over there asking Jews for their religion before determining their fate. That was in Spain 400 years before.

Hebrew's a language not an ethnicity, a Semitic langauge along with Arabic. Speakers of Hebrew come from Scotland to Persia.

As for what the Nazi's thought or did not think was a race can in no way be taken seriously.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 02:57

Hebrew's a language not an ethnicity, a Semitic langauge along with Arabic. Speakers of Hebrew come from Scotland to Persia.

Correct. In fact, as a student of both Hebrew and Arabic, i can confidently say there's a remarkable similarity between the two languages. Most of the roots, in fact, are identical (semitic langauges are based on a three letter root system).

The question is, how come someone from Scotland and someone from Persia were both taught to read and write this language by their parents? What's the connection?

The answer is that both people can trace some of their ancestry (usually maternal) back to a group of people that once spoke the language amongst themselves. We know that group originated in the Middle East precisely because Hebrew is so simliar to other Semitic Middle Eastern languages.

So, Hebrew is a language, and most of its speakers/readers also have a vague ethnic relationship to each other.

Non-religious jews sometimes adopt 'hebrew' as their ethnic/cultural marker, in an attempt to avoid being classified as religiously jewish.

As for what the Nazi's thought or did not think was a race can in no way be taken seriously.

Hahahaha. Well, the Israeli government does. It figues that if you could be killed for your ethnic identity, you should be granted 'protection' for it on the same basis. Its one of histories weirdest ironies, on more than one level.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 04:57

Judaism is a tribal religion, not a proselytizing one. In other words, it was developed to help make sense of a *group's* existence/suffering in a meaningless world, rather than try to explain how all of humanity can be saved. It was born out of a very tribal environment.

In other words, Judaism is only concerned with the destiny of a specific family, rather than that of humanity.

Think of it this way: Jewish identity is like a private golf club.

The club was founded by only a few families, all of whom were related. The membership consists only of the founding families and their offspring.  Anyone whose mom is a member is automatically granted membership. It's really hard to get in, otherwise. The rules of the club are the religion. You can be a member of the club by birth, however, and not follow the rules. That just makes you a bad member. Only if you join another golf club is your membership suspended =)

Since the club has been around for so long, and it's members have spread to so many countries, and have had children with so many non-members (mostly illigitimately, since, according to the rules, members are only supposed to marry other members), the gene pool has become increasingly diverse. There is, nonetheless, still quite a bit of shared matrilineal ancestry amongst all the members.

Recently, however, the rules have been relaxed a little so that non-members can apply for membership, usually because they want to marry a member.  This has resulted in even more genetic mixing, including whole families who went to extreme pains to join this ancient, elite golf club.

So, to recap, Jewish identity is technically inherited through your mother (although many kids who have a Jewish father, and a non-Jewish mother also consider themselves Jewish)...  

You can not practice the jewish religion at all, but still be jewish by birth.

Jews tend to share many of their genes with each other, but over the course of history (especially recently, as the rules for club entry have laxed a little) there has also been quite a bit of mixing.

Essentially, Jewishness is an ethnicity, although because of geographic dispersal, and subsequent genetic mixing with local populations, the Jewish 'gene pool' has expanded significantly over time. Judaism is the system of religious rules that applies only to members of the ethnicity. The rules have nothing to do with non-members. To complicate things a little, Jews who abide by all the rules tend to view non-rule-abiding Jews as a little less 'Jewish' (but still redeemable).  And, moreover, recently the rules have been softened a little to allow non-members to become members, in order to facilitate marriages, etc.

But this is exacty my point about the concept of an ethnic Jew comes from the Jewish religion. The notion of Jewish ethnicity bases itself on the writings of the old testament are somewhat true. Jewish history as written of in the bible is archaeologicaly unprovable.

Personally I think jews across the world have no 'family' relationship. Jews living in Britain are genetically British, in Russia genetically Russian, and have no genetic relationship to each other any more than naturally occurs between non-Jewish people across the world.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
arsenka View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote arsenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 06:34

I always thought that Jew is ethnic term and Judaism is religion, Hebrew: Idish and Ivrit are languages. May be I was wrong - I don't  know.

Anyhow, I agree completely with Komnenos's point of view on the matter. And I disagree with Maju on several points. First of all this: >>

"There was no need for any of the Abrahmanic religions and only adherents to them can say that. Chinese or Indians had never any need of such belief systems. Actually we Europeans didn't have that need either." >>

How would you explain adoption of Christianity in Europe then? Accident? Stupidity?   You know, the more I learn about history the more I understand the number of casualities is very little there (I mean things that happen by chance) and almost every event has its logical background. That's most obvious when we are speaking about macrohistory and macroprocesses. I'll dare to cyte myself here: every event happens in its own time and place; every book is written in its own time and place; every person is son/daughter of its own time and place etc.  That's highly incorrect to generalize as you do. You can't estimate medieval or ancient event/person according to modern criterions or according to your personal experience. Thus you can speak only wheather you personally or your surrounding need it now. but that's different matter. If you suppose it to be useless now it doesn't mean it was useless at the time it was adopted.

If your opinion is based on historical knowledge and wisdom, please, back it with facts, logically relevant reasons. 

Although such kind of reasoning (statements like "We didn't need Roman Empire because...") always makes me smile: we even can't be sure we know all reasons and sequences of the events that had really taken place.

Then, how can one forsee all circumstances that would arise in the case any event hadn't  happened or had happened in some different form. Reasoning of that kind operates with "if"s. And as you know history doesn't know word "if"(except "History amusement" topics).

That's the first point. Now the second one.

Religion as many other things tends to to transform according to circumstances, time and place. Christianity confessed in Europe in Middle Ages and further up to nowadays wasn't that Oriental Christianity you are speaking about. Christianity we have now is our creation, planted and fed up on our cultural soil.

So, that's it.

PS: Apologies if I've been too harsh in my statements.

Edited by arsenka
arsenka
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 07:12

When i was young I went to watch cricket at Lord cricket ground and was for some stupid reason baffled as to y a jewish guy was watching cricket.(ie, what did cricket have to do with him, it semed something very remote).

Sadly, its contagious, even the Dutch have taken it up.

Since we are now touching on a really important topic, there have been many Jewish cricketers. Bombay has a Jewish cricket club, and there is an Israeli cricket association. (Google on Jewish cricket)

In fact Jews, Sikhs, Muslims, Hindus, Christians of all denominations, Zoroastrians, Buddhists and non-believers have all played top-level cricket. Even the Bahai Information Centre in London advertises that there are two cricket pitches nearby, though I'm unaware of any Bahai cricketers.

And of course the very word 'wicket' is connected with 'Wicca'

In short there is no reason why believers in any religion should be barred from reaching the full understanding and insight achievable through cricket.

erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 07:29
They really know how to use money
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 07:48
IS it correct to call Khazars "jews" because of their religion? I got confused here, is "Jew" a ethnic term or religious?
Theophos View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Theophos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 08:47

No. I have not: Christianity is an Oriental religion.

Not anymore. It's a world religion now, strongly hellenized and deep rooted in european culture and thought. It was oriental in nature, though.

"I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me."
--John 14:6
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 09:50

When i was young I went to watch cricket at Lord cricket ground and was for some stupid reason baffled as to y a jewish guy was watching cricket.(ie, what did cricket have to do with him, it semed something very remote).

In which other game do u get to throw a ball at somebodys head at 100mph and then shake hands at the end.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 09:52
Originally posted by malizai_

In which other game do u get to throw a ball at somebodys head at 100mph and then shake hands at the end.

Baseball.  

sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote sedamoun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 10:48

This is not because I am Muslim (I am not) but because I see the same nature for both religions: a sickness of the desert it must be.

Spoken like a true YODA...

On a more serious note, my opinions are a little bit the same as Maju's. I am always careful not to generalize: Israel/Sionist and Jews.

I really, really can't care less about another person's religion, that is NOT what defines us humans, so Jews are equal to all other humans, no less, no more.

The Israeli GVT on the other hand is an oppresive colonial State. I am not saying all israelis have the same views as the GVT... but it's the poeple that chose (by voting) their GVT so that has to reflect a majority's choice.

What is certain is that they are not going anywere, so let's just try to get along (wishful thinking).

As a community, I find Jews (less for the younger generations) very close minded: for jews it seems to be "you are either with us or you're out". The jewish community is always financially strong but at the same time limited (they don't mix very much with other minorities).

Cheers.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 11:27

The spread of Christianity is a result of Roman/European Imperialism, Islam for Arabs, Zaroastrianism for pre Islamic Iranians.  The Jews have never been an imperial people, that is why their religion did not spread.

Today Zaroastrians apparently don't accept converts (conservative ones at least), they sure as hell did 1700 years AGO!!

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 11:45
Today Zaroastrians apparently don't accept converts (conservative ones at least), they sure as hell did 1700 years AGO!!

ALl of them? I thought it was just the Parsee who were like that (though many of the London crowd do, but then there aren't that many of them, so i guess the more the merrier).
Arrrgh!!"
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 11:51
It is a new thing and trendy among ex-patriots.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>