Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

18 Tir-- The revolution that never was

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 18 Tir-- The revolution that never was
    Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 23:45

People can post more information on the events that lead to this uprising, and the events that occurred during it.

I will just provide a short summary:

Basically, it was a student uprising that quickly grew, in a matter of days hundreds of thousands if not millions of people poured into the streets of Tehran.  The Mullahs lost control of the city, and it seemed as if the next revolution was well under way.  How ever, the cunning Mullahs still had a plan B.  Ayatollah Khamenei, the "supreme" leader of Iran came on state television crying, basically, this is what he said (I am just paraphrasing, these are not exact):

"Oh please don't hurt the people of Iran, if they want to tear my picture, let them, if they want to arrest me let them, but I dont want to hurt the Iranian people.  If they want us gone then we will leave, we will bring democracy, we will not stand in their way...."

The revolutionaries, fearing civil war, decided to take Khamenei's word for it and not protest for a few days.  The mullahs took this opportunity; they closed down the streets, sent in troops into the universities, killing many students and arresting hundreds more.  They effectively shut down the revolutionaries and soon after, what looked like the next Iranian revolution dissolved.

Here are some pics:

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 23:55

More:

The most famous photo of the uprising:

Other:

AS YOU CAN SEE FROM THE PICS ABOVE, BOTH RELIGOUS AND NON-RELIGOUS WERE OUT IN THE STREETS FOR DEMOCRACY! ALSO, YOU ARE ABLE TO SEE THE DIFFERENCE IN DRESS CODE OF THE WOMEN IN 1999 COMPARED TO NOW:

GOES TO SHOW THAT THESE MULLAHS ARE VERY SMART.  THEY LEARN FROM THEIR PAST MISTAKES.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 03:06
I was there. if you want a story ask me 
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 03:10
Those pictures on the top were not from 18 Tir, was it?
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 10:05

tell the story and please post more pics if you have any.

those pics are from 18 tir.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 10:44
All of the women should have taken off their chadors.  I wonder why they didnt.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 11:25

Originally posted by Zagros

All of the women should have taken off their chadors.  I wonder why they didnt.

yea, that is exactly what i was thinking!

during this time, were there any disturbances in other parts of the country? tabriz, isfahan, shiraz...???

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 12:00
Yes, infact Azeries from teh former Soviet republic tried to use the disturbances at Tabriz university as their own propaganda.
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 13:04

no one in the world has said a word for supperting the students except by italians. Berlusconi said at 18 tir i am an iranian today.

shayan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote shayan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 16:36
humm this day will repeat  but this time  we students and real  iranians will win  from  kurdish  Iran  to  baluch  Iran.  We wont except  3 inch of the scarves of our siters,  nor will we be happy with  a nother half democracy.  Like my mom  always says  (sorry  for my rude language)  Ien  mollaharoh  az pahientaneh  dar mizaniem.
Iran parast
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 09:39
Look at this: http://www.jebhemelli.info/ava/yaredabestani.htm

It'll bring tears to your eyes.

shayan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote shayan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 15:29
Yeah not only in my eyes but also on my cheeks  i wish i could do something but its imposible the only organisation that does protests is mojahedeen and i dont want to be  part of there organisation... I wish there where more anti regime protests in foreign land...
Iran parast
shayan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote shayan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 10:53
Ramin you were there? Tell us how did the people think, liberal, leftist which group had the most suport?
Iran parast
 Post Reply Post Reply